PS2 ....PAL - NTSC Back up info?

Hi…! I am trying to find out about backing up and playing some PS2 discs that I got recently… I do have the gear to PLAY imports(and back ups,supposedly) already…( Ie:Swap discs and a ‘No-Solder Mod’ key set ) and they work just fine with the NTSC Japanese Game…But ,They will Not let me play my new PAL UK Game I just got…( The seller of the Swap Disc says it will play PAL on NTSC machines–but Everyone else who’s selling them ,and the console,say it won’t…) What I wanna know is: One -Can I make a Backup/copy of my PAL game that WILL play on my NTSC console…Or is there ANY way to play the darn thing…? And TWO — Can I make a back up copy of the Japanese games (they are NTSC) even though they are in Japanese…? Is the average ,available softwr ( I own none at the moment)able to read/copy japanese discs?.. Answers? Reccomendations?.. PS: I freely admit my noob-ness…! :o

Check: you got a PS2 with a swap method.

[quoteOne -Can I make a Backup/copy of my PAL game that WILL play on my NTSC console…[/quote] I dunno, but the data will not suddenly magically transform to the NTSC format. The hardware of the PS2 has to do the conversion from PAL to NTSC. It should be possible with a modchip, but perhaps it’s dependable on what version your PS2 is (and there are over fifteen different PS2 versions!)

There is a program that will patch a PAL game to allow you to play it on a NTSC tv but it doesn’t work all the time. If it does sometimes the screen is cutoff because of the different number of lines of resolution between PAL and NTSC. I’ve done it once or twice and at least the game was playable. Follow this link for more info.

OMG…THANK YOU for at least making an effort to help me on this…I REALLY thank you…! Mr B…Thanks…Yea…I see your point…but maybe I didn’t say what I meant correctly…What I’m trying to find out is if there is a PC/copy software method to turn a PAL disc INTO a NTSC version disc…Apparently, it’s possible to turn a PAL movie dvd into a NTSC dvd , and so I assume ( but I’ve NEVER been wrong before this…! snicker!) it’s possible to do the same with a Game dvd… The converters I’ve seen are *between * the PAL dvd Player and NTSC TV ( primary purpose ,one would think…) or PAL Game console and NTSC TV(?) …so they’re just 'adjusting 'the image on it’s way to the monitor/TV…My usa NSTC slim 75000(?) ps2 won’t even READ the PAL disc …(I don’t think,anyway…Not so far!) …SO…Sikoone , I thank YOU too! ( Of Course ,the game I’m looking to play ISN’T on the list …! " FORBIDEN SIREN 2 " is the game…( Siren 1 WAS released in the US…but not the second one…) l I DO have a japanese version which plays fine with the SWAP stuff…but there’s a buncha clues/text/etc…that are IN Japanese…I have a feeling that —A (used) PAL Console ,power converter…and Image (PAL to NTSC ) converter …will most likely be the – Easiest – way to play the dang thing…! Ain’t happening anytime soon!..THANKS again! DOH!

You’re most welcome ferretwhisperer.

There is no possible standard way to convert a PAL-only disc into a NTSC-disc. You would need to know what kind of videofiles and/or encoding schematics are use inside the datafiles.

But it’s strange because usually console videogames are not pal or ntsc, but just video’s. Depending on the region, the console itself displays the correct system.

Most consoles are locked in their display in- and output. (A PAL console can only read PAL discs and display PAL only. A NTSC console can only read NTSC discs and display NTSC only). By modifying the console you usually can deal with any format and display it in any format as well (NTSC -> PAL -> NTSC, PAL -> PAL -> NTSC, you name it).

Can i give you one last tip? Stop the MSN-style-typing. It looks funny and a little annoying at the same time. :slight_smile:

wow…thanks ,I guess…I do not know what ‘MSN style typing is…’ Nor do I care…I’m COMPLETELY dumbfounded as to how someone would give a rat’s a** how somebody typed a question into a forum…but there you go… Too bad , I thought I’d found a place where people just dealt with questions/answers etc…Didn’t realize that it was yet another ‘chat’ line with bickering,bragging,“I rock-check out how much I rock better than you…”…I’m OLD…I don’t have time or care…Just wanted to know about some game stuff…sorry to bother you …Won’t happen again…( shoulda known with the ''close to hot chicks"…)

You could say it’s a form of respect for people answering your questions.

Too bad , I thought I’d found a place where people just dealt with questions/answers etc…Didn’t realize that it was yet another ‘chat’ line with bickering,bragging,"I rock-check out how much I rock better than you…"
Dare i ask where the hell did that sudden assumption popped from?

…I’m OLD…I don’t have time or care…Just wanted to know about some game stuff…sorry to bother you …Won’t happen again…( shoulda known with the ''close to hot chicks"…)

Aww shit. You saw right through me. I’m a lousy fifteen year old with no brain. I humbly apologize for trying to correct your horrible writing and mixing up your emotions.

Awww shit,sorry to ‘disrespect you’ in my way of asking questions…Awwww shit ,I got the assumption from reading more of the forum… Awwww shit, Good lord I hope you’re not 15 (and therefore the ‘future’…) And really…Honestly…As long as it can be understood , then it makes NO god damn difference HOW a person asks an honest question…But,you know better than me… Whoop de doo…you’re sure are a big fish in this huge pond…I’ll not bother you again,I apolgize for troublin you in the frst place…