PS2 Copies == Legit Copies?

I didn’t know exactly what to put for a title or search for, so bear with me for a moment.

Why do we have to use mod chips and Swap Magic etc. to get copied PS2 games to work? I mean, how do the companies that make the games make them so that they can be run normally without any special addons?

For example:
I buy a game at a store and put it in my PS2. It runs.
I put a backup copy in my PS2. Doesn’t run. Why? :confused:

I’m taking a wild leap, but does it have anything to do with the format of the CD/DVD, like DVD-R, or DVD-RW? I know RW won’t work, but I’m just confused about why we can’t duplicate PS2 games exactly with all the bad sectors and stuff so that it is like an EXACT copy.

Thanx in advance. GO CDFREAKS!!!

Just to tell you, I use ARMax + Pendrive + Trigger Disc + Credit Card in CD tray to play my copied games, so I have knowledge about copy protection and stuff like that.

Moved to CD & DVD Copy protections forum.

[QUOTE=csimpson;1968722]I didn’t know exactly what to put for a title or search for, so bear with me for a moment.

Why do we have to use mod chips and Swap Magic etc. to get copied PS2 games to work? I mean, how do the companies that make the games make them so that they can be run normally without any special addons?

For example:
I buy a game at a store and put it in my PS2. It runs.
I put a backup copy in my PS2. Doesn’t run. Why? :confused:

I’m taking a wild leap, but does it have anything to do with the format of the CD/DVD, like DVD-R, or DVD-RW? I know RW won’t work, but I’m just confused about why we can’t duplicate PS2 games exactly with all the bad sectors and stuff so that it is like an EXACT copy.

Thanx in advance. GO CDFREAKS!!![/QUOTE]

You cannot make “exact copies” because you have no authoring burner & authoring media.

Is it possible to emulate this “authoring burner & authoring media”? They probably wouldn’t let you buy things like these. It has to be possible.

Even if I can’t do this (and I don’t have high hopes anyway), how are their burners and media special? What makes their stuff better than ours?

[QUOTE=csimpson;1969705]Is it possible to emulate this “authoring burner & authoring media”? They probably wouldn’t let you buy things like these. It has to be possible.

Even if I can’t do this (and I don’t have high hopes anyway), how are their burners and media special? What makes their stuff better than ours?[/QUOTE]

Cost!

[QUOTE=csimpson;1969705]Is it possible to emulate this “authoring burner & authoring media”? They probably wouldn’t let you buy things like these. It has to be possible.

Even if I can’t do this (and I don’t have high hopes anyway), how are their burners and media special? What makes their stuff better than ours?[/QUOTE]

make it easy on yourself buy a new flip top case for your PS2 and a set of swap magic discs and problem is solved no modding other than installing the flip top case…its simple to do!!:iagree:

xorsists, I said that I have the slide card method going for me. I just removed the front disc tray cover to open and close it.

froggie, what the heck does “Cost!” mean?

“how are their burners and media special? What makes their stuff better than ours?”

Their equipment costs more than ours - it is professional. Yoi cannot expect a setup costing perhaps $1000 to perform as well as a setup costing perhaps $100,000.

Movies are made on professional equipment. Why aren’t movies made the same way games are made… since movie DVDs are so easy to duplicate.

[QUOTE=froggie;1970731]“how are their burners and media special? What makes their stuff better than ours?”

Their equipment costs more than ours - it is professional. Yoi cannot expect a setup costing perhaps $1000 to perform as well as a setup costing perhaps $100,000.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that’s what I thought. I didn’t plan on ever trying to do it, but it’s a good idea to learn about it anyway. Get inside the minds of the oppressors. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks guys.

[QUOTE=stallen;1971188]Movies are made on professional equipment. Why aren’t movies made the same way games are made… since movie DVDs are so easy to duplicate.[/QUOTE]

Movies on standard VideoDVDs use an obsolete and long time cracked protection: CSS. Newer ones add different copy protection schmees, but they get patched too.

Games can have better and trickier copy protections on them, they don’t need to follow specs like VideoDVDs have.

how are their burners and media special? What makes their stuff better than ours?

It is a specially developed disc with a “physical” copyprotection on it. The protection is called Libcrypt (i think) and is used by Sony since the PS1 has started. The only company that was able to reproduce the Sony discs was Datel (Action Reply), more info here and here.

I hope this explains a bit :wink: