PS2 Burned FMV Stutter

vbimport

Right, so this is slightly annoying.

It seems that when I play a PS2 back-up it stutters during any FMV sequences, regardless of the game (So far I’ve tested Digital Devil Saga, Final Fantasy X, and Metal Saga), but the in-game cutscenes (as well as gameplay) seem to work flawlessly thus far. My PS2 is v12, I’m using real TYG02 DVD-R’s, and I’ve burned multiple copies of said games with Nero, ImgBurn, and DVD Decrypter in my external Mad Dog 16XDVD9A2 (NEC 3520a, I think?) at various speeds ranging from 2x-12x (with 4x seeming to be the best), and yet the problem still persists in all of my copies.

My PS2’s laser seems to be working well, has no issues with the originals (and seems to be working grand all around with movies, PS1 games, etc.), and was even cleaned, so I doubt it’s my system. And, as I said, the DVD-Rs are genuine Taiyo Yuden. All this leads me to believe it’s my burner, but I’ve never had any issues with it before, it has the last Mad Dog firmware for it, and burns DVDs complete that verify just fine, so I’m not really sure what the problem is. I thought maybe it was my boot method (FMCB with ESR) but that’s highly doubtful, too.

Anyone care to throw in their two-cents?

Yeah, probably burned too fast?!
Try burning at max 8x.

PS. Seems you have burned slow, but the pickup unit/laser on the ps2 itself can go weak…

[QUOTE=chef;2497387]Yeah, probably burned too fast?!
Try burning at max 8x.

PS. Seems you have burned slow, but the pickup unit/laser on the ps2 itself can go weak…[/QUOTE]

You misunderstood what I meant when I said the 2x-12x thing.
I meant that I burned multiple copies of the same game (DDS, in this case). One at 2x, one at 4x, one at 6x, etc. The one at 4x works the best but it still had the issue.

Either way, I’ve figured out the issue.
It’s my burner’s fault.

At random points during burning, the buffer will drop to nothing and then pick right back up again. It’ll do this 3-5 times per disc. When I’ve scanned the finished result in Nero Disc Speed, I get huge PI Failures at around the same point the buffer went down (in the range of 11-12). My thought is that with 3-5 of these per disc, it has trouble reading it. Odd thing is that my burner has never had this issue with everything else I’ve thrown at it, which leads me to believe that my burner just doesn’t like the Taiyo Yuden brand.

On The Bright Side: My cousin is going to give me his old Lite-On drive from his computer to test if there’s any difference in burn quality. If so, then he’ll just give it to me.

So, yeah, I post my results once I get the Lite-On in my computer.

Right, sorry for the double post (it won’t let me edit my old for some reason =).

I just scanned my newly burned copy with Kprobe.

Date : 2/27/2010 9:33:07 PM
Model : 0-0-0-0 LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-1635S YS0Z
Disc : DVD-R , TYG02 [Taiyo Yuden Company Limited]
Speed : 8x
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 2216726
Sampling count : 112150
Errors : 0
PI Max : 14
PI Average : 2.01
PI Total : 32790
PIF Max : 3
PIF Average : 0.03
PIF Total : 547

I’m guessing the results are good?

EDIT: Hmm…Still skipping.

I’ll try it again at the lowest speed available (2x, I think).
EDIT: Huh?

Since I’ve updated the drive, it says that the TYG02’s slowest speed is 4x…
Oh well. Guess I’ll try it at that.

Scans good. Do you know any one with a Pioneer drive? all my PS2 backups have been done with a Pioneer and they all work fine burnt are x8. You could also give Verbatim a try, might be your PS2 doesn’t like TY discs.

Nah, I don’t know anyone near me who even owns a DVD burner. I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere, so…

And, yeah, I was thinking of giving Verbatim a try and seeing what comes of them.
Chances are, though, that’ll I’ll only nab a 10 or 25 to see how they work.
No need to go all out on my first pack.