Proud owner of a new NEC 2500

vbimport

Hey there, just giving you all a heads up that I made the jump and purchased an NEC 2500 last night.
Reasons:
Numerous good reviews
After chatting with Dartman (thanks bud), I found that he has also been having great results with this drive and highly recommends it.
Low Price. OfficeMax had a deal this week on Pacific Digital 8x DVDRs. (some of these are rebadged NECs) Picked one up for $109 - 40 rebate - 15 coupon = $54!!!:eek:

here also an owner of 1 of NECS drives on recommendation of our OC-Freak.

Bought it for 89 Euri :smiley:

Thanks Wes, it’s not perfect either but it does burn MOST media with far fewer errors then my 811 can do the same media at and usually at a faster speed.
I did pick up some Ritek G04 last night and yes it seem to burn it with higher errors then it normally would so yes maybe that media is not a good match, how ever the disk still had a good transfer rate graph and seems to be fine. My 811 does better or slightly worse depending on the firmware I tried with 04 but it’s transpher graph was bad at the end and finally errored out, so ?!?
The 2500 is a bit slower speed for speed and for the moment tends to burn Ricoh 01 at 6x rather then 8x like the 811 can but the quality is oustanding at 6x even with some of the bad ones I have. It also doesn’t have bitsetting yet or a 8 for all hack but I think the Guys Herrie and the dangerous brothers and others might figure it out soon hopefully :slight_smile:
I don’t use mine to read with so can’t comment on the cd error correction and like that but it’s sposed to be pretty bad, I just want good dvd burns :smiley:
Heres the Ritek at 4x with it

Heres some Imation Ricoh at 6x

:eek: :eek:WOW!!! :eek: :eek:
This burner is AMAZING! Here is my first burn RICOHJPNR01 at 6x with the 2500 fw 106

For comparison purposes this is the type of result I was getting when burning this same RICOH media on my 411. Most burns looked crappy (done on the 411).

And I thought the media was bad! Man the LiteOn is a whimp compared to the NEC.

i have to agree, this drive rox!

When i first got it i went nuts cause i couldnt burn my ritek properly, and i even considered returning the drive. But i bought some verbatim and memorex, and i’ve succesfully burned about 30 discs all with great results in all tests :smiley:

Test.

Yeah I’ve heard that it doesn’t do so well with RitekG04s. Dartmans’ scan above supports the theory that it doesn’t like G04s. I’m not too worried about though, since I don’t usually buy Riteks.

What I’m really looking for is BITSETTING for this drive!! :iagree:

It’s amazing to see such discrepency of the same Ricoh media on 2 different burners…I mean 265 avg. vs .321 avg with the NEC? How is such a large difference possible lol?

Anyway, where are you guys getting these good Ricoh’s?

Ie, what brands are almost always Ricoh? Like 50 spindles in particular…Imation? Ricoh’s usually made in what country?

Originally posted by vallybally
[B]It’s amazing to see such discrepency of the same Ricoh media on 2 different burners…I mean 265 avg. vs .321 avg with the NEC? How is such a large difference possible lol?

Anyway, where are you guys getting these good Ricoh’s?

Ie, what brands are almost always Ricoh? Like 50 spindles in particular…Imation? Ricoh’s usually made in what country? [/B]

Large differences are possible because they are 2 totally different drives with totally different hardware and write strategies.

I got my Ricohs as Memorex branded DVD+R at OfficeMax. OMax also sells 100packs of RICOH branded as “Arita”. I have heard that Imation can be RICOHs, but I’ve never purchased any myself to confirm. RICOH is usually made in Taiwan I believe.