Protection Scanner

vbimport

Hello everybody,
Since nearly two years I am developing my open source protection scanner BurnOut. It is written in VB.Net so you need at least the MS .Net Framework 1.1.
Perhaps you can have a look at it and give me feedback.

BurnOut at SourceForge

Is there any way to scan individual files with it?

I thought the same as Reefke seems not or I didn’t find the option. I’ll try it these days with some games and report back. Thanks for the link gf7.

yeah in its current state its a scanner for cds/dvds only.
it´s scanning exe files on disc, so why not add file/folder scan in future release :wink:

i´ve also seen your post on another forum were u mentioned it requires the net framework. to detect the most recent pc game copy protections .NET is pain to code with as exe debugging/analysing is very limited (dunno if net uses some sort of inline asm). but nice to see you making the source available. users/coders can perhaps give you some more hints & ideas detection wise.

File scan will be added in next release.
Up to now I had no problems with the .net framework, everything works fine and the code is easy to read. (But perhaps I will port BurnOut one day into C++.)

Did anybody has a look at BurnOut?

sure i scanned some cds i own. works fine on safedisc (BF1942), didn´t test other ones thou, will wait for folder scan because protection can´t be detected on cd/dvd most times.

I also scanned some discs with the following results (found by BrunOut 0.4, [I]found by PID scanning the .exe file or from my memory[/I]):

-madden07 sd4.7, [I]Safedisc 4.7[/I]

-moto gp3 nothing, [I]SecuROM Detected - Version 7.11.0009[/I]

-half life 2 dummy files, [I]SecuROM 5.xxx[/I] if I remember correctly couldn’t be detected on the disc!

-BF2 dummy files, [I]Safedisc 4.50.000 detected [/I]!

-Fifa07 Safedisc 3.2-4 (version remove, [I][!] Safedisc v3.20 - v4.xx or newer [removed version] detected !
[!] removed version is Safedisc v4.60.000[/I]

As itsjustme mentioned most protections can’t be detected on the disc so a folder scan option would be nice.

p.s. I also added your scanner here Copy Protection Identifying Guides (Updated).

@kalas
Can you please send me the protected files where BurnOut couldn’t find anything (or only dummyfiles)?
gf7mail AT gmail DOT com

@itsjustme
then you have to wait a little bit cause the next version will probably be 1.0 and I want it to be stable and trustworthy. (Release will be in 1 month perhaps)

I scanned the .exe files if possible on the discs using PiD when this was not possible because they we’re packed on the disc I scanned them in the install directory.
I didn’t describe this in my post so this was obviously a bad way of describing my comparison. Where burnout found dummy files the .exe file was packed on the disc.

[B]BurnOut-Sourceforge-address changed
www.sourceforge.net/projects/burnout[/B]

Thanks gf7 link updated in the tutorials.

Protection:
SafeDisc4.60.000