Protecting images posted on the web

vbimport

Anybody know of some software that can protect an image posted on the web from being downloaded – scripts and right mouse protections don’t work as any decent screen grabber will work. Even the most sophisticated system is easily defeated - especially if you are running your OS say Windows as a guest OS under Vmware and let linux capture the screen image.
I would like this as a photographer one often publishes catalogs on the web – but you don’t want your images being copied and sold by someone else.

Here’s a test photo you can play with --If you have a mechanism which will stop it being copied / downloaded I would be very grateful indeed. This image is not protected in any way – its just me on a Bike !!.

The answer is no. If you post it, it’ll get stolen. However, you can always do a water mark or image overlay on the original image, preferably a huge one of your face or company logo right in the middle. This usually defeats people from stealing your image and posting it on theirs 'cause it’ll make them look stupid by posting some pic w/ a large missing section, where you’re logo is. And even if they use photoshop to alter the image, people will obviously see modification on the image.

when a file is viewed, it is on their local computer. thus, protection is impossible.

Sorry, Stoner and ckin2001 are absolutely correct. I have seen some of the best programmed web pages and one even made a black-out area off of a print screen. But they are all still defeated. To give just some examples of how, popular software such as leechware: Go!zilla, getright, webcopier… etc can all be targeted to grab pictures as well as other file formats from web sites. If they fail someone can always do a printscreen and bring it up in a simple paintbrush, select, crop and resave. Then there is my personal favorite method, my current popupblocker (popupcop) which is so customizeable that I can enable specific things from loading and not loading. If i disable scripts then right clicking becomes a normal feature again… etc…
Using a watermark to protect stuff is probably a good idea. but if you wanna share it with the public, expect it to be stolen. Only other thing I can suggest is creating user accounts and giving people access via login/password. Guildftp’d is a great free program with a nice friendly interface to set up quick accounts for people. I use this in conjunction with www.no-ip.com to have a DNS provider (also free by the way). But point is there si no way to protect stuff… sorry :frowning:

i usually just open the pic in flash and publish it as a swf, so when people right click it, they dont get an option to save so they “usually” just leave it alone and leave the site, otherwise i dont know if someone can save swf pics even when you disable right click, can they?

screenshot?

Originally posted by a turk inside
i usually just open the pic in flash and publish it as a swf, so when people right click it, they dont get an option to save so they “usually” just leave it alone and leave the site, otherwise i dont know if someone can save swf pics even when you disable right click, can they?

Like I said, if you can put it up, I can save it.

@1kyle,

I’m not sure whether this could be useful for you or not, but…just in case …

You can add copyright information to Photoshop images and notify users that an image is copyright-protected via a digital watermark that uses Digimarc PictureMarc technology. The watermark–a digital code added as noise to the image–is generally imperceptible to the human eye. The watermark is durable in both digital and printed forms, surviving typical image edits and file format conversions–and is still detectable when the image is printed and then scanned back into a computer.

Embedding a digital watermark in an image lets viewers obtain complete contact information about the creator of the image. This feature is particularly valuable to image creators who license their work to others. Copying an image with an embedded watermark also copies the watermark and any information associated with it.

www.digimarc.com/watermarking/default.asp

As the gentlemen say here, there’s on problem to copy a picture once it’s published @the web.

There’s no perfect way, but Digimarc is probably the best way to go. Jasc Paint shop pro supports this technology as well (and it’s a whole lot cheaper, and about as good for many people).

Integrating into a SWF file will some people stop from grabbing the picture, but there are always two ways:

1. screenshot
  2. download the file (e.g. Teleport pro)

or anyone that remembers wget