"Protected input source"

vbimport

Hi all, I have the Lite On 5027 hc dvd recorder and have a problem recording some tv channels mainly sky movies. The recorder displays “Protected input source” which I assume is encrypted data put out by the channel I am trying to record. My question is :- "Is there a patch or an update that will remedy this ? Thanx for your time. Rolo1949

I’ve got exactly the same problem. When I was on this site a couple of weeks ago there was a thread about this problem and there was a reply saying upgrading software could solve it. Needless to say I didn’t bookmark the page and now I can’t find it but I’m going looking now and if I find it I’ll let you know.
Ed.

I had the same issue with my Liteon LVW-5045. This is due to some cable companies and sat feeds may set the CGMS flag/bit for certain programs or channels and the version of firmware (203) I UPGRADED (sarcasm) to was coded to honor this flag. I solved my problem by returning to an older version of firmware (201) available for my model. Never had a problem since. I learned two good lessons. 1. If it isn’t broke, don’t try to fix it. & 2. Newer doesn’t necessarily mean better.

I am not familiar with the 5027 so before you try to downgrade your firmware (if available / possible) someone needs to confirm if this is even possible so you don’t brick your unit.