Pros and cons of updating to BLV3 for LH20A1L

Quick Question!

I’m using C0deKing’s BL06 firmware on my LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1L.

What’s the pros and cons of updating to BLV3 for LH20A1L? I take it this is Lite-On’s official firmware?

I’ve haven’t had much issues with C0deKing’s excellent firmware. Only issue is a new batch of 48x Sony CD’s has a max burn speed of 16x.

No problem playing mp3 CDs in my Alpine Head Unit.

Thanks!

These are official LO test firmwares, which IIRC, address the issues of CD burning.

[QUOTE=KTL;2106725]These are official LO test firmwares, which IIRC, address the issues of CD burning.[/QUOTE]

Yes, BLV3 seems to be optimised for jitter, but I like C0deKing’s eoht patched BL06, too.

Actually, I have problems burning new Verbatim DVD+R DL 8.5GB 8x full printable (MKM-003-00) with both firmwares at all speeds. 1 of 10 media work and are error free after burning.

I have no problems with other media or the same sort, but of an older batch, so this is quite strange and I wonder if other people have the same problem.

You’ll find more about BLV3 here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/lite-20a1l-audio-cds-237685/index10.html

[quote=jleinenbach;2107594]Actually, I have problems burning new Verbatim DVD+R DL 8.5GB 8xfull [I][B]printable[/B][/I] (MKM-003-00) with both firmwares at all speeds. 1 of 10 media work and are error free after burning.

I have no problems with other media or the same sort, but of an older batch, so this is quite strange and I wonder if other people have the same problem.[/quote]

Though not many people use them, but from past readings, printable media doesn’t seem to fare well with LO drives, CD and DVD included. I think I’ve only read about 5 or 6 people complaining when using printable media.

[QUOTE=KTL;2107676]Though not many people use them, but from past readings, printable media doesn’t seem to fare well with LO drives, CD and DVD included. I think I’ve only read about 5 or 6 people complaining when using printable media.[/QUOTE]

I never noticed any difference. The printable layer is above the data layer, so there should be no difference at all.

I even had no problems with these media - until I bought new ones (from two different vendors). I had some old ones with the same media code - and these still worked without any problems. Resetting “learnt media” didn’t change anything.

This is one of the few new media I could burn. I stopped scanning jitter since it took too long at that stage. (BLV3 didn’t produce better results.)

This is a scan of one of the “older” media I had no problems with:

There was a similar problem, but with MKM 001:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/trouble-burning-dual-layer-dvd-247270/

Similar problem at the layer break: MKM 003, but with DH20A3:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/2106938-post1830.html

I don’t believe it’s the firmware or hardware, but the media.

So at the moment, I see no reason not to use BLV3 at all.

Didn’t realize my post was moved to a new topic until I checked-in today. Thanks C0deKing for giving me a heads up!

Should I hold off installing the are official LO test firmwares as the firmware on the DVD burning side would go back to stock…correct?

Thanks!

I don’t know if I understood you correct, but BLV3 is the latest firmware and I would prefer it (although there is no EOHT patch for BLV3).

It seems that there is nobody who has somehow more problems with this test firmware.

I’m using C0deKing’s BL06 firmware on my LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1L.

Was wondering if it’s worth updating to BLV3…or just stay with C0deKing’s BL06 firmware?

Thanks,

John

I used a HEX editor and searched for the differences between stock BL06 and C0deKings BL06 eoth, then I patched my BLV3 firmware in the same way.

Here’s the result with a Verbatim DVD+R 4,7GB 16x printable MCC 004 @ 16x

These are Variox DVD+R DL 8x 8,5GB CarbonPro RICOHJPN D01 (fake?) @ 4x
Since there is no layer break issue and it has a better quality index, these media are somewhat better than Verbatim (above).

(patched BLV3, see above)

I found out, that all these good and bad media from Verbatim were from Singapore, while these VARIOX media come from india. This is strange.