Which DVD-R media currently available would you recommend for long-term storage and for those situations where only the best is good enough?
- CMC MAG. AE1 (8x DVD-R CMC)
- CMC MAG. AM3 (16x DVD-R CMC)
- DAXON008S (8x DVD-R Daxon)
- DAXON016S (16x DVD-R Daxon)
- FUJIFILM03 (8x DVD-R Fujifilm)
- MBI 01RG40 (16x DVD-R Moser Baer India)
- MBI 03RG40 (16x DVD-R Moser Baer India)
- MCC 02RG20 (8x DVD-R Mitsubishi / Verbatim)
- MCC 03RG20 (16x DVD-R Mitsubishi / Verbatim)
- MXL RG03 (8x DVD-R Maxell)
- MXL RG04 (16x DVD-R Maxell)
- OPTODISCR008 (8x DVD-R Optodisc)
- OPTODISCR016 (16x DVD-R Optodisc)
- ProdiscS04 (8x DVD-R Prodisc)
- ProdiscS05 (16x DVD-R Prodisc)
- RITEKF1 (16x DVD-R RiTEK)
- SONY 08D1 (8x DVD-R Sony)
- SONY 16D1 (16x DVD-R Sony)
- TTH01 (8x DVD-R TDK)
- TTH02 (16x DVD-R TDK)
- TYG02 (8x DVD-R Taiyo Yuden)
- TYG03 (16x DVD-R Taiyo Yuden)
- Other - please specify in a post
You can select all the media codes that you think qualify - multiple choices are possible.
This poll supposes that a real (not fake) media code is used, and that the best grade available of that media is used - not "value" line media and not downgrade media sold under various discount brand names.
Media codes a.k.a. MID a.k.a. Manufacturer IDentification
All DVD media have a manufacturer identification code (MID) which is supposed to tell a DVD recording device about the characteristics of the media, so that the recording device can select the best way of recording (burning) the media.
Some brands use the same media manufacturers for their media, and this makes it possible to find the same media code under different brand names. Some manufacturers even use the media codes of other manufacturers, and this is popularly known as "fake" media codes.
How do I find the media code for my DVD media?
Use Nero CD-DVD Speed (can be downloaded for free here), load your DVD into your DVD burner, select the Disc Info tab and look for MID under Basic Information.
How do I find media with a certain media code (MID)?
The easiest way is to use the VideoHelp.com media database to see the media that people have reported. You can search on several criteria, with DVD Media Code being one of them.
Here are direct links to search results for the media codes in this poll:
<TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#c0c0c0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>CMC MAG. AE1</TD><TD>CMC MAG. AM3</TD><TD>DAXON008S</TD><TD>DAXON016S</TD></TR><TR><TD>FUJIFILM03</TD><TD>MBI 01RG40</TD><TD>MBI 03RG40</TD><TD>MCC 02RG20</TD></TR><TR><TD>MCC 03RG20</TD><TD>MXL RG03</TD><TD>MXL RG04</TD><TD>OPTODISCR008</TD></TR><TR><TD>OPTODISCR016</TD><TD>ProdiscS04</TD><TD>ProdiscS05</TD><TD>RITEKF1</TD></TR><TR><TD>SONY 08D1</TD><TD>SONY 16D1</TD><TD>TTH01</TD><TD>TTH02</TD></TR><TR><TD>TYG02</TD><TD>TYG03</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Please note that some of the search results may be using "fake" media codes, and some may be downgrade media sold under discount brand names!