Proper CPU paste remover needed or not?

vbimport

I’ve decided that a few £££ more on decent compound like AC5 is worth it compared to the generic stuff I’ve been using.

1. However, I am undecided on buying paste remover. There’s a lot of debate on the internet about what’s best and whether isopropyl alcohol is fine or if a dedicated paste remover is best. Therefore I wanted to put t to the CD Freaks massive: I’ve previously always used mineralised meths - I’m not overly keen on this due to the fact that it has minerals in it. I take it therefore that something else would be better. And so, the question is:

Isopropyl vs a pricey cleaner like Arcticlean.

Is isopropyl alcohol enough? If so, where would such a thing be bought? I live in the UK and not the States - a lot of US forums have said that any old ‘drug store’ (‘pharmacy’ to us Brits) would have it - I’ll check there, but failing that, where else? What is the isopropyl used for medically speaking BTW? Just sterilising? I’m also only after the 99% stuff as opposed to the 70% (and 30% H²O) stuff you can get. What kinda price am I looking at compared to Arcticlean?

1. Also, when I get the AC5, is it a good idea to clean the recently applied generic paste (this) off my CPU and apply some AC5 or just use it when paste is needed?

Thanks guys!

IMO Isopropyl should be great to clean the thermal paste from the CPU perfectly. You should use a cleenex or something like that.

First you wipe the thermal paste off the CPU surface until there is nothing to see anymore. Than you use an 2nd clean cleenex with Isopropyl and clean the surface from the last remeining parts of the old paste. You can repeat this cleaning a few times to be sure the surface is perfect clean. You clean the heat spreader in the same way. After the cleaning you can not put the new AC5 on your CPU.

Also spirit or 99% alcohol works perfect. Do NOT use nail polish! You should get 99% alcohol in the pharmacy or drugstore.

Alcohol or the other stuff is for this reason perfect, since most thermal pastes I know contains a “kind of” oil. Maybe it is no “real” oil, but if feels like oil if you put the stuff on your fingers…

Yep rubbing alcohol works best and only use a small amount. I only did this 2 days ago it takes it right off

[QUOTE=TM;2014023]. After the cleaning you [U]can not[/U] put the new AC5 on your CPU.

[/QUOTE]

I think you mean ‘can now’ put the AS5 on the cpu.

I’ve never seen 99% available in the states. 70 and 90 are, and both work fine. After cleaning don’t rush to put the AS5 on, give it 5-10 minutes for any moisture to evaporate off.

I use q-tips ear swabs that allows some control and minimal use of the alcohol. If you already own denatured mineral spirits you can use that instead of isopopyl alcohol. Be careful with it, its very flammable and also has methanol in it, a carcinogin. There are no ‘minerals’ in denatured mineral spirits.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2014138]I use q-tips ear swabs that allows some control and minimal use of the alcohol. If you already own denatured mineral spirits you can use that instead of isopopyl alcohol.[/QUOTE]Is that the same stuff as mineralised methylated spirits (meths)? Meths works fine for the task of removal; I’m just afraid that the fact that it’s mineralised meths means that it’s 100% evaporating… I’m sure that I read that somewhere too.

As for what else to use, yeah I’ve found that cotton pads and cotton buds (Q-tips to the Americans) work a treat.

100% evaporating, is a good thing, it means there will be no residue left over from the liquid.

[quote=eric93se;2014344]100% evaporating, is a good thing, it means there will be no residue left over from the liquid.[/quote]Exactly right, It also means if you get it somewhere its not supposed to be a quick wipe and the rest will be gone in a few seconds and no damage :wink:

[QUOTE=eric93se;2014138]I think you mean ‘can now’ put the AS5 on the cpu.
[/QUOTE]
Yes you are right :o Very stupid typo. But now it is too late to fix it… :sad:

Sorry to sound like a complete idiot but this is just to clarify:

You are talking abut mineralised meths? It’s safe, ideal to use? Pic below.

Okay, so I looked it up. the version you have there has a dye in it, Analine, are you sure it says 100 percent evaporating on the bottle?

If it not 100 percent evaporating, then just buy a bottle of /rubbing alcohol/ or isopropyl alcohol. If your not sure look at the ingredients and make sure its just alcohol and water.

I never said it’s 100% evaporating.

There’s never any moisture residue though.

[quote=eric93se;2016069]
If your not sure look at the ingredients and make sure its just alcohol and water.[/quote]No DON’T use anything that has water in it!! The water doesn’t evaporate and take a guess what it does to your sensitive components.

[QUOTE=slayerking;2016686]No DON’T use anything that has water in it!! The water doesn’t evaporate and take a guess what it does to your sensitive components.[/QUOTE]

isopropyl alcohol that is 70 or 90 percent has water in it, the remainder is water.

[quote=eric93se;2016733]isopropyl alcohol that is 70 or 90 percent has water in it, the remainder is water.[/quote]That’s why you need the pure stuff :wink: if you use the stuff with water in it the water doesn’t evaporate and gets into places it shouldn’t be causing huge amounts of damage.

Obviously I have looked for an ingredients listing - there isn’t one.

[quote=groovemeister;2014014]
Isopropyl vs a pricey cleaner like Arcticlean.
Thanks guys![/quote]
I use ArctiClean and cant recommend it enough. For $10.00 it will probably do 50 cleanings. Yeah it’s expensive if you are only going to do one CPU. Depends on the user. The amount of CPU’s and heat sinks I change makes it worth it for me.
ArctiClean $9.99

[QUOTE=groovemeister;2017003]Obviously I have looked for an ingredients listing - there isn’t one.[/QUOTE]

Your using this on regular systems that are ?old? and your not overclocking them right? Honestly it won’t hurt to use your methlyated spirits, just don’t spill it on any plastics, use the cotton buds when applying it.

Be careful with that stuff, inhaling it intentionally will cause nervous system damage, and eventually a big’ol brain tumor. Also very flamable. :slight_smile:

Hmmm… lots of mixed replies here.

cross - I live in the K, Arcticlean is dearer here.

eric, can I ask what if I was overclocking - theoretically? My system isn’t old; it’s a P4 3GHz CPU, kind of middle of the road I guess.

My point is that surely a cleaner is suitable or isn’t? And don’t worry, I don’t make a habit of intentionally sniffing meths. :wink:

[QUOTE=groovemeister;2018411]

eric, can I ask what if I was overclocking - theoretically? My system isn’t old; it’s a P4 3GHz CPU, kind of middle of the road I guess.

My point is that surely a cleaner is suitable or isn’t? And don’t worry, I don’t make a habit of intentionally sniffing meths. ;)[/QUOTE]

If its one of the prescott or northwood P4’s then it won’t OC that well anyway. Only if you were an enthusist overclocker would it drive you to buy articlean. If that cleaner /meths/ were to affect the cooling of your system, I assure you it would be far less than 1°C difference.