Prooblems accessing files

vbimport

Hi, i am having serious problems. Recently i got a virus which corrupted my boot up files. I fixed it by doing an over-write of the windows xp operating system. however my old xp account was on private and i had a lot of stuff on the desktop. when i go to accesses it, it comes up with “not accessible - Access is denied”. I know this is because the files were private and now because of the over-write the account no longer exists and i cant access them. is there any solution to my problems?

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

A solution could be to boot the computer from a live distribution of Linux, copy all files you need on a different location (a different partition in the same HDD or an external disc like an USB pendrive for example) and then remove the live CD and boot again normally.

[QUOTE=geno888;2187119]Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

A solution could be to boot the computer from a live distribution of Linux, QUOTE]

Hey thanks for your help one question do you have a link were i can get linux free ?

You can find download links to many free linux distros here:

http://distrowatch.com/

Just scroll down and watch the right of the screen.

I would suggest Puppy linux for what you want to do. It’s small, runs in ram, and handles ntfs/fat32 quite well.

My suggestion is PCLinuxOS, a complete distribution that can be used also as LiveCD. Another very useful distribution (that allow also to recover damaged partitions), is SystemRescueCD.

Also very simple and intuitive to use is Ubuntu (or its variants like Kubuntu)