Promlems With Backed Up Discs on PS2

vbimport

Hello everyone,

My brother and I want to play through some of the old Final Fantasy games for PlayStation 2 on different consoles side by side. We all ready own one PS2 console so I went out an bought a second hand one for £40. I also purchased a copy of Swap Magic 3.6 to boot copies of our legal original copies on this PS2.

I burnt the games on this media.

The games boot fine but load times are a lot longer and cut scenes can ‘skip’ and ‘stutter’ a little bit.

Can anyone tell me why this is and what I can do to fix this?

Many thanks!

I would guess those are RITEK F1, judging from the Maxell 16x -Rs I’ve used.

Might want to try better media, such as Verbatim…also, what burn speed did you use for the backups?

Hi getfirefox,
probably your drive is not handling these Maxell media (most likely made by CMC or Ritek) very well and your PS2 has a problems with reading them flawlessly.
You should buy a better media - Verbatim DVD-R are well known for they good compatiblity with PS2 (due to very good reflectivity).
Maxell media made by CMC or Ritek are very mediocre, I would even say that Maxell is actually selling a B-grade stuff.

Thanks for the responses. Would either of you two be willing to link me to a model of Verbatim discs that you recommend?

EDIT: @Arachne, I burned at 1x.

[QUOTE=getfirefox;2076341]EDIT: @Arachne, I burned at 1x.[/QUOTE]Do NOT burn modern media that slowly. I’d suggest burning the backups at a minimum of 8x on desktop/full size drives, and at either 6x or 4x on a slim drive/laptop drive. None of the media sold as Maxell [CMC MAG AM3, RITEKF1, MXL RG04, or ProdiscF02] deal well with underspeeding on any drives, in my experience. :flower:

BTW: If a software allows you to select 1x, chances are you are really burning at 4x or such. [Most drives don’t support 1x burning, and will go with the lowest speed they do support for that particular media].

[QUOTE=getfirefox;2076341]Thanks for the responses. Would either of you two be willing to link me to a model of Verbatim discs that you recommend?

EDIT: @Arachne, I burned at 1x.[/QUOTE]

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/992/1240/-/3337505/Verbatim-43549-DVD-R-16x-4-7GB-100pk/Product.html?searchtype=genre
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/992/1240/-/3337518/Verbatim-43522-DVD-R-16x-25pk-Spindle/Product.html?searchtype=genre
And burning at 1x (or 4x) is not really a good idea :stuck_out_tongue: