Promise Ultra 66 and CDRWs

vbimport

I’ve done some tests with an Ultra 66 Card under Windows 2000 Advanced Server, look what I sent to Promise. Have you got a working setup with this card? What is your CPU utilization when you are WRITING to a CDRW via this card? (the system part of it, at least).

What driver versions have you used under win2k?
If you use a Promise controller for your CDRW, and it runs smoothly, please let me know the model and your max achieved writing speed and CPU utilization.

Please proceed to read my post to Promise, right below…

muhaha

Hello!

I’ve used an Ultra 66 card for connecting a couple of CDRWs to my system. I use Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Unfortunately, the drivers that are on your webpage do not seem to work with windows 2000 if someone selects the promise ultra66 card (windows complains this driver is not designed for windows 2000 and aborts installation). This is some thing you could fix, since I suspect it is in the *.INF file.

From the same driver pack, I’ve installed the card as Ultra100 (which installs exactly the same files), and of course the card worked at once. To my surprise, support for ATAPI devices is NOT good. When it comes to writing, the driver of the card yields a very high load to the system, from 40 to 80% on a PIII@1000MHz. This sounds like there is no busmastering for writes (although reads are OK).

Both CDRWs are set at UDMA2 (33MB/sec). Running some benchmarks on the controller bandwidth, I’ve experienced a very low bandwidth available to the drives, a mere 11MB/sec. Even my old VIA 694X motherboard can provide 18MB/sec to the drives, so I think the ATAPI layer in this controller is terribly bad.

So, to get me out of this pit, you may help me by providing me a fixed version of drivers that work in win2k advanced server and of course do not impose that unacceptable penalty during writes to ATAPI devices. Do the later controllers of yours (Ultra100 or Ultra133) have the same problems with ATAPI devices?

The Ultra66 controller runs on a Asus P3V4X motherboard, that has a VIA 694X chipset. RAM is 640MB, CDRWs are of type Sony 195E, each occupying its own channel on the controller. The processor of the system is an Intel PIII@1000 MHz.

I’ll be expecting your reply.
Regards,
muhaha

What is your CPU utilization when you are WRITING to a CDRW via this card?

With 16x RAW-DAO: 90%
With 2x DVD writing: 60%
(it’s a Ultra100TX2)

Christ!!! :eek:

You are not kidding me, are you?
And you can you live with it? Unbelievable!

So it is not only Ultra66, when it comes to ATAPI. Seems that later Promise models experience this unacceptable glitch.

Reply from promise came. They do not leak a WORD about this… They only sent me another driver and actually confirmed that there is a uniform driver for all the Ultra series…

Hmm, suspicious, eh? What does your chip on the promise controller write? Something like PDC2062 or else?

muhaha

Never ever do that to the RAID controllers :wink:

Originally posted by tylau
Never ever do that to the RAID controllers :wink:

Do what??? What do you mean?

BTW, U66 is not a raid controller, it can be flashed to a raid one, however…

muhaha: My DVD writer is connected to the promise controller because it doesn’t run in DMA mode onboard, so the cpu load isn’t lower either if I connect it onboard.
Of course, my other 3 CD/DVD drives are all connected onboard (did 16x with a Plextor 24x and a LiteOn 40x just for testing).

Hmmm, sounds reasonable enough (although cpu load may differ among doing, say, PIO4 on your U100 and PIO4 on your onboard controller).

I’ll try a setup as follows:

on mobo – Primary CS: CDRW #1 UDMA 2
on mobo – Secondary CS: CDRW #2 UDMA 2
on u66 – Primary CS: HD UDMA 4
on u66 – Secondary Master DVDROM PIO4 or UDMA (will c :slight_smile: )
on u66 – Secondary Slave: HD Bay

If I get pissed enough with cpu loads, I’ll go get a new Toshiba DVDROM that will do good in UDMA 2. Thanks for making me not waste money on another ATA controller.

Another surgery tonite… hohoho!!

muhaha

Failed… Promise just gives 1MB/sec to the drive it has put on DMA 2…

So I decided that Ultra66 is pointless, flashed back to FT66 and have:

mb - pri master - Sony CDRW #1
mb - pri slave - Hitachi DVDROM
mb - sec cs - Sony CDRW #2
ft66 - pri cs - HDD
ft66 - sec whatever - hdd bay

And that was the end … :stuck_out_tongue:

Huh? What is FT66? What am I missing?

I also have a Promise card, and have noticed what seems to be slow performance (high cpu usage) also on WRITES (but not reads?) to the drives, but I only have HD’s connected to my TX2.

Hdtach scores are right on the mark though, but HDtach only does reading.

Is this “FT66” thing something that is supposed to fix performance on a TX2 or something?