Promise S150 Tx4 : Won't boot/show drives

vbimport

(XP-SP3) I got an new Promise S150Tx4 for my old OC’er NF7-S 2.0 and of course with the drivers and everything running/working and installed, I cannot for the life of me get the dang drives to show up. All I’m trying to do atm is run both my boot drive and Storage drive in JBOD mode, which should be as simple as installing said drivers, attaching drives, disabling the on-board mobo Sata-raid support, and enabling SCSI boot in the mobo bios and so forth; well as you can read, it’s not working.

When I go to boot from my Raptor and the storage drive connected to ports 1-2, I get “disk boot error, blah blah”… When I reconnect the raptor to the mobo, and the Storage to the S150, win boots, but the drive doesn’t show, yet in the dev-mgr = the card and driver shows up fine… What gives, am I forgetting something simple?

Hi,

is there any improvement if you run your system at stock speeds?
Also, I assume that your drives are all partitioned and formatted.

Michael

I have no idea if it is important, but did you try to install the PCI card into a different PCI slot? There are other PCI cards installed in that computer? maybe there is a conflict with other hardware :frowning:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2521582]Hi,

is there any improvement if you run your system at stock speeds?
Also, I assume that your drives are all partitioned and formatted.

Michael[/QUOTE]

The OC’ing afaik isn’t the issue… I’ve had other Promise controller cards (Pata) in this same config working for years on and off etc…

Yes, all I want to do is switch from running the cards on the mobo Sil-3112 Raid controller, to the Promise.

[QUOTE=geno888;2521585]I have no idea if it is important, but did you try to install the PCI card into a different PCI slot? There are other PCI cards installed in that computer? maybe there is a conflict with other hardware :([/QUOTE]

The only PCI device I have installed currently is a Wifi card. I’ll try adding it to another slot, but I don’t think that’s the issue, as the card can see the drives, but not in WinXP. I think it has something to do with the boot.ini… I’ll play around with the PCI slots and report back in a bit…

…This is driving me insane; I should know how to fix this!

Yep… tried switching the slots around etc… I don’t think that it’s the card; it recognizes both drives, lists them in the Raid-BIOS etc… Something about Windows isn’t playing well with the drives as they don’t show at all, but the controller and drivers are installed and digitally signed etc.

Hi,

on the other controller, were these drives configured in a RAID also?
Simply switching a set of HDDs from one Raid controller to another one is near to impossible. Normally, the HDDs need to be entirely wiped…

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2521724]Hi,

on the other controller, were these drives configured in a RAID also?
Simply switching a set of HDDs from one Raid controller to another one is near to impossible. Normally, the HDDs need to be entirely wiped…

Michael[/QUOTE]

:Z OMG are you kidding me, even for simple JBOD mode? Oh man what a fsckin mess then, I’ll have to transfer all this data to another blah blah… Say it ain’t so?

Okay so say this is the only solution (wiped), would simply plugging the newly wiped drives on to the Tx4 would as I naively assumed it would? :confused:

Oh what a headache till I get a new 2TB, since I’ve got 1TB+ of data/backup mirror…ARGH!

Thx a lot for replying!

[QUOTE=V12|V12;2522591]:Z OMG are you kidding me, even for simple JBOD mode? Oh man what a fsckin mess then, I’ll have to transfer all this data to another blah blah… Say it ain’t so?[/quote]I am not perfectly sure. But with inexpensive Raid controllers, anything is possible.

I was lucky and could move my system HDD from onboard VIA to a Promise SataII 150 (PDC20579) - a [I]non-Raid[/I] sibling of your controller - without any problems. Simply plug-and-play.
Switching back some time later wasn’t that successful and I needed to perform a repair install.

Oh what a headache till I get a new 2TB, since I’ve got 1TB+ of data/backup mirror…ARGH!

At the moment, I’d simply stick with the onboard controller you are using.

Michael

Dang… I was afraid you’d/someone would say that… Oh well I’ll just have to hold on till I get my 2TB and then the huge hassle of transferring it all back and forth shall begin.

Damn you Promise idiots! Where’s my PLUG-AND-PLAY?!

Again, thanks for replying. :slight_smile: