Progressive crackling noise on playback of burned audio CDs

When burning audio CDs (in iTunes and Nero) on my laptop, I now get a crackling noise that starts about halfway through playback, and gets progressively worse as the disc plays on regular CD players.

The 1st 30-40 mins of playback are always perfect, then it starts to creep in until by the end of an 80 min disc it’s really noticable - like listening to a dusty old vinyl LP on a bad record player.

I’ve tested the discs on another laptop and there’s no problem with them there. I never used to have a problem on this machine either.

Has anyone experienced this before, or got any ideas on what the problem is, how to fix it, etc?

I’ve tested the discs on another laptop and there’s no problem with them there.

Then I would say that its not the media, and that you have a problem with some other area.

Is this when running from the mains or the battery ?
Have you checked the source for sound quality in the same way ?
Have you used another software player ?
…checked the audio to sound card cable ?
…used the trouble shooting ‘slider’ to switch off parts of the DirectX engine ?
…and so on.

This is the sound of errors, which are not corrected on an audio CD. Probably a crappy burner, crappy media, or both. Slowing the burn speed will likely help.

What writer is being used to write?
What kind of blank media are you using?
What speed are you burning this media?

It may be a crappy burn/media issue. A stronger player has no trouble playing the discs but a weaker one does. Sounds like write quality issues. If you can provide answers to the three questions I asked, it may shed some more light onto the situation.

[QUOTE=cd pirate;1971714]What writer is being used to write?
[B]What speed are you burning this media? [/B]
[/QUOTE]

I would like to know the same thing.

[quote=cd pirate;1971714]What writer is being used to write?
What speed are you burning this media?

It may be a crappy burn/media issue. A stronger player has no trouble playing the discs but a weaker one does. Sounds like write quality issues. If you can provide answers to the three questions I asked, it may shed some more light onto the situation.[/quote]

Details as requested, plus a bit more info and admission of negligence:

[B]Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-841S writer[/B] (I’ve heard it’s not got a good reputation - I’ve already had it replaced once under warrenty)
[B]TDK CD-R80 discs[/B] (I would get 650s as they technically comply with music industry standards, but they seem rather rare these days)
[B]Burning speed:[/B] Nero was using the default automatic settings for these faulty recordings

I’m afraid I’ve made an error in my initial post - having gone back and looked through my npf files, I’ve realised all the discs with this fault were burned using Nero. A recent tech fault meant I lost my old and very reliable/useful etc version 7. I upgraded to 8.x when reinstalling. Should I assume my new version of Nero is simply faulty and dump it? I was quite happy with v7 for my purposes.

I’ve just burned a test disc, with an identical collection of wav files to a faulty one, using iTunes (which I always thought to be the inferior burning engine to Nero). I set the write-speed at 4x instead of default maximum (which I assume to be 24x), took off the sound normalization, and played it back through my decent hifi with sucess.

I don’t know if this is a consequence of burning at a slower speed than usual, but A/B comparisons seem to give the iTunes burn slightly more bottom end. I’d have to admit I’ve never thought too much about the burn speed before, usually going for the ‘maximum’ or default option automatically. Given that I do quite a lot FLAC conversions from high quality live music recordings, which are then played back through good, revealing hi-fi kit, is 4x a reasonable rate, or is it worth the wait to go down to 2 or 1x?

Another thing I forgot to mention was that playing back the dodgy discs on the laptop they were burned on, using apps such as iTunes, VLC etc, does not produce this crackling noise that the CD player, which cost more than this laptop, produced! This seems very strange, but I’m not very clued up about PC disc drives, so there could be a simple explanation, if anyone could enlighten me I’d be interested to know.

Thanks for the above contributions, and apologies for my embarrassing schoolboy error in not isolating the Nero issue :o All help gratefully appreciated!

Nero version will make zero difference lol.

Definitely an outdated writer and TDK CD-Rs are not the best.

I suggest buying a brand new Samsung DVD writer. I’ve seen on the forums that they can burn CD-R quite well with low jitter (which is good for audio). If you’re serious about quality of music also, I’d buy some Taiyo Yuden online or in a shop if you can find it. Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs are regarded as the best CD-Rs money can buy, they’re made in japan and sometimes a brand like sony will buy TY discs and rebrand them. If you find Sony or Fujifilm CD-R with Made In Japan written on the packaging, they’ll 99% be TY. Never heard of them not being TY when they’re made in japan.

You can also shop online, depending where you like. SVP is good for UK users and Rima.com is good for US users.

Btw, regarding burn speed - slowest is not always the best and either is max speed. Burning somewhere in the middle usually produces best results. If you plan to keep your 24x CD-R writer I’d suggest 8x 12x or 16x but not any higher or lower.

How old is your CD-Player?
When CD-Players get old some start to produce noise when using CD-Rs. Have you tried those discs with noise in a other Standalone CD-Player? I had this problem once with a very old CD transport.
If your Player is old try burning at lower speeds like 8 or16x and/or use different media like TYs (you may need to test different CD-Rs like TY or MCC etc…). Going down to 1 or 2x with DVD-Burners is not recommended.