Programs compatible with W7 but not with W8?

vbimport

Does anyone know of programs that don’t work with Windows 8?
The reason I ask is it appears computer companies are pushing it and it will cost a premium to select W7.
After fooling around with W8, I don’t hate it quite as much as at first.

Perhaps if our favorite programs don’t work well or not at all, that would definitely make a difference in choosing.

Kerry, I assume you have tried a bunch of video progs. and likely other unrelated software.
So I would be interested in your findings.

Everyone else is welcomed to participate too.

Maybe we could start a list in this thread…if it is warranted.

Aside question, if I need one of those start programs, which one is the easiest to install?

Maybe we could start a list in this thread.

I think it’s a good idea.

I had some issues with Toshiba Configfree version 7 on my Gateway laptop.
http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/General-Features-Knowledge-Base/TOSHIBA-Configfree-Utilities/ta-p/347098

It would not load properly at startup and Windows 8 would prompt to terminate it.
Windows 7 had no problems with it.

Version 8 of Configfree works fine with Windows 8

Arcsoft TMT 3 is completely incompatible with Win 8. If I recall correctly, it won’t even install.

I’ve had problems with Media Player Classic Home Cinema. It wasn’t working correctly in its default configuration, nor with the madVR setup either.

I was trying several different free players at the time and found another that wouldn’t play mkv and m2ts files correctly, but I don’t remember if it was GOM Player or Pot Player.

VLC works very nicely in Win 8, so I’ve been using it and Arcsoft TMT 5.

As for the Start programs, most people really like Start8, even though it costs $5.

I’ve been using ClassicShell, and though it is easy to install and use, it does freeze sometimes when you click the start button to bring up the list of programs. The hesitation only lasts about two seconds, but its still annoying. Apparently the issue is loading the icons for the programs and the author is working on getting the list of programs to pop up first and then load icons, but a new version hasn’t been released.

PowerDVD versions below version 12 don’t work properly in Win8.
I had to install a few apps in Windows 7 compatibility mode, but these apps have now been updated to work with Win8.

I think it also helped that my motherboard had a UEFI update to make it Win8 certified.
I’ve also had various start menu apps like Classic Shell installed, but I’ve since removed them, as wasn’t using the start menu in the way that I work. In fact as I recall, I rarely used the start menu in Win7.

Its a pretty sure bet that any of the high-dollar software from Adobe and others of that ilk will be locked to W7 and previous versions. Same for driver software from places like Logitech, printers and the like. They’ll expect you to buy a new version or even new hardware to get compatibility. Its not really a matter of compatibility, but of installers that are locked to specific Windows releases.

Here’s another with problems in Win 8. Vob2Mpg version 3 will only work in IFO mode for me. The older, vobset mode is shot, which is too bad, as I preferred it.

Got a Samsung laptop for Christmas with Windows 8. Initially took me in with all its shininess and brand-new-ness. Encountered no problems whatsoever installing World of Warcraft. I wanted a good laptop for gaming, in a nutshell, rather than my 10 year old desktop PC.

Ran into A LOT of problems playing The Sims 2.

Base game & all expansions installed without error. I get to the “Create a family” screen, click “Add Member” and the game crashes. Happens each time.

Also installed The Sims Life Stories and Castaway Stories, both crashed after 20-30 minutes of playing, and have both crashed again within 5 minutes the last time I tried to play them.

Very disappointing, I made a leap from XP to Windows 8 and didn’t realise half the stuff I played on XP won’t work on Windows 8. My laptop is now outside its 21-day-refund-exchange guarantee thingy, so all I can do now is flog it on ebay and hopefully find a decent Windows 7 laptop or save up for a MacBook.

[QUOTE=hjgoodland;2672628]Got a Samsung laptop for Christmas with Windows 8. Initially took me in with all its shininess and brand-new-ness. Encountered no problems whatsoever installing World of Warcraft. I wanted a good laptop for gaming, in a nutshell, rather than my 10 year old desktop PC.

Ran into A LOT of problems playing The Sims 2.

Base game & all expansions installed without error. I get to the “Create a family” screen, click “Add Member” and the game crashes. Happens each time.

Also installed The Sims Life Stories and Castaway Stories, both crashed after 20-30 minutes of playing, and have both crashed again within 5 minutes the last time I tried to play them.

Very disappointing, I made a leap from XP to Windows 8 and didn’t realise half the stuff I played on XP won’t work on Windows 8. My laptop is now outside its 21-day-refund-exchange guarantee thingy, so all I can do now is flog it on ebay and hopefully find a decent Windows 7 laptop or save up for a MacBook.[/QUOTE]

Or buy a license Windows7Pro Sp1 and reformat and load all the drivers for the laptop and you will still have a new laptop that will work. Do that before selling it off…at least you will know your laptop will still be new and have the one year warranty…

[QUOTE=CDan;2672269]Its a pretty sure bet that any of the high-dollar software from Adobe and others of that ilk will be locked to W7 and previous versions. Same for driver software from places like Logitech, printers and the like. They’ll expect you to buy a new version or even new hardware to get compatibility. Its not really a matter of compatibility, but of installers that are locked to specific Windows releases.[/QUOTE]

Photoshop CS 6 works fine here. Old school HP Deskjet 2500 works fine in Windows 8 to. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=hjgoodland;2672628] My laptop is now outside its 21-day-refund-exchange guarantee thingy, so all I can do now is flog it on ebay and hopefully find a decent Windows 7 laptop or save up for a MacBook.[/QUOTE]

Why on earth would you sell it for that reason? Just get a Windows 7 install disc and you have the best of both worlds. Actually, before doing that, check the EA website for updates, and if that fails, try the compatibility wizard. :wink:

I’ve had problems with Media Player Classic Home Cinema. It wasn’t working correctly in its default configuration, nor with the madVR setup either.

Does anyone else have issues with MPC:HC?

Foobar didn’t work right for me. Audio files would not open when I clicked on them and dragging & f=dropping them into foobar wouldn’t work either.
I had to open foobar and use the open file dialog.
Vlc on the other hand opened audio files just fine when I clicked on them.