Programming firmware for 811s housed in USB 2.0 external enclosure

vbimport

Windows XP Pro
AMD XP 2400+
ECS K7VTA3 motherboard

Is it safe to do this?

I “made” this myself by mounting internal drive in an external enclosure that originally housed CD burner.

Also can you burn at 8X in an external USB 2.0?

If not what’s the max?

So far (limited by media) I have burned just fine at 2.4X

Originally posted by dcolemanca

I “made” this myself by mounting internal drive in an external enclosure that originally housed CD burner.
Also can you burn at 8X in an external USB 2.0?

In principal, yes. :slight_smile:

The transfer rate for USB2 is about 40Mb/s
8X burning requires ~11Mb/s
-Give it a run…

Whats your revision of motherboard. And some info of your enclosure (make, medel aso) would be nice :wink:

Thanks for the response.

The motherboard is rev 8 and the enclosure was originally a Mad Dog 52x24x52x external CD burner

ECS K7VTA3 ver.8 has full USB2 support.

Some thoughts about enclosure.
CD burning @52 is 52 x 150kb/s = 7,8Mb/s. Burning DVDs at 4X (5,4Mb/s) is no problem. Not sure about 8X.

Remove any ‘old’ (CD) drivers in devicemanager, restart the comp and give it a try. At boot-up XP will install what you need, though.
[The enclosure must be powered.]
:slight_smile:

I’ve flashed the firmware in my 411 loads o times in a usb2 case - no probs at all so far. 8x should work ok since the sustained transfer rate for even the worst chipset should be able to manage 12MB. havent tried 8x myself yet.

No problems with 8x. Ive burned several DVDs in my 811S at 8x. Compaq X1000 (=HP NX7000) Notebook with USB2.0 Support.

Originally posted by Crockett
No problems with 8x. Ive burned several DVDs in my 811S at 8x. Compaq X1000 (=HP NX7000) Notebook with USB2.0 Support.

Hi,

did you scan the DVD burned 8x afterwards. I had no problems with 4x in my external USB2 rack, but yesterday I tried a RICOHJPN01@8x and scanned it afterwards with several “steps” in the scan. Now I have the 811S in my PC and my LiteOn CD Burner in the USB2 rack.

Tiberion

Originally posted by Tiberion
[B]Hi,

did you scan the DVD burned 8x afterwards. I had no problems with 4x in my external USB2 rack, but yesterday I tried a RICOHJPN01@8x and scanned it afterwards with several “steps” in the scan. Now I have the 811S in my PC and my LiteOn CD Burner in the USB2 rack.

Tiberion [/B]

Hello,

Yes, both DVDs were scanned afterwards. I have these little kprobe steps also, but in my opinion are these because of the older firmware: i used HS0E. The steps are supposed to be removed with the unofficial HS0P.
During burning with 8x the light was red as usual, no orange blinking, no buffer underrun.
Unfortunately the drive doesn´t read DVDs at 8x or higher (for speedtests), but i think 8x is with “normal-quality” USB2.0 cases possible. The red light indicates to me, that there´s no (speed)problem. Hopefully ;).

Just received the 811s that I ordered. Popped it out of the box and hooked it up to the new external Plumax firewire/usb2 external that i bought.

It is recognized as REMOVABLE DRIVE G:

How do I get it to recognize it as a burner?

I downloaded the last firmware § but when I try to flash the drive it says I don’t have a lite-on drive hooked up and only recognizes my two internal drives.

I know it is simply something I am overlooking but any help would be greatly appreciated!!! :bow:

Thanks!!

Mine also window regconize as “CD-RW / CD” when I first turn on. It will regconize as DVD-RW after the first burn until turn off the enclousre or computer.

I have no problem burning at all as long as Nero and Clone recognize the drive as DVD-burner.

BTW I also burn sucessfully @ 8x via USB 2.0 and total time is about 9 mins, the scan is not very good, thou.

You might need to update driver for USB 2.0 from microsoft. I know a lot of mother board have problem with USB2.0. Also check if you ASPI layer install properly.

Just to update anyone else who is having the problem I had (Drive was not recognized as CDROM-RW-DVDROM-RW drive) on USB/FIREWIRE ENCLOSURE.

After a recommendation from someone in a different thread, I tried the drive on USB. It was instantly recognized correctly. Then another person recommended switching the drive to master and trying it on the Firewire. This took care of the problem completely.

Thanks for all your help!!!