Program Memory Area Update Failure

[qanda]This thread is about the HP DVD Drive. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello everyone,
There are so many areas in here I’m not sure if this is the right place and i apologise if it’s wrong!

I have been burning DVDs for years with no problems whatsoever - data discs, ISO discs, copying discs directly, etc, so I’m quite used to solving problems. However! I recently bought a ‘discount’ brand of blank discs and (even though I’ve had no issues with cheaper brands before) they worked fine for about 20 discs, they then started not working.
Either the problem was the drive not recognising a disc at all or it would start to burn then eject it straight away. At the same time the drive continued to burn CD discs without problems.

I tried many solutions including de-installing the burning programmes, de-installing the drives, drivers aspis, etc and re-booting in between. Nothing helped, so I took a drastic step and re-formatted my entire system to factory settings - including replacing the ‘HP dvd940i Internal 18x Multi DVD writer’ I had installed 3 years ago and reinstalling the original drive (HL-DT-ST DVD RAM GSA- 4040B A106).

I now have the same problem - I’ve tried my Nero 7 software, ImgBurn, Burnaware, and other softwares which all have the same error - “Program Memory Area Update Failure” or “Cannot Perform Disc-At-Once”.

I’ve checked the forums and nothing has helped so far - if you can point me in the right direction (on the forum or otherwise) that would be great. Is there not a single, common reason behind these error messages? I know it seems like general error messages but I cant fathom it out and it’s driving me nuts.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.
Paul