Write Speed: Max
Always Close Last Session

My question is does it matter if I enable the following also

Read SubChannel Data from Data Tracks
Read SubChannel Data from Audio Tracks
Regerate Data Sectors
Fast Error Skip Settings set to Automatic

I don’t see how having the two read subchannels could adversely
effect the process since they would only pick up data if it existed, and do nothing if it did not. And while I don’t fully understand Regenerate Data Sectors, CloneCD recommends always leaving that enabled. I do understand more or less how Fast Error Skip works and CloneCD recommends leaving this enabled also.

I don’t really care about the time it takes to make an image as I usually set it to run when I am doing something else and run at read of 1X. My main concern is quality.

My stuff:
Reader: Toshiba SD-M1612
Writer: Lite-On LTR-48125W
CloneCD: 4.0.1.10
Mouse: Intellimouse Explorer (hehe for kicks)

My reason for wanting to keep some settings even if they may slow the process is down is to simplify the number of profiles I use to make backups. Any help would greatly be appreciated… Chris

I was wondering what happens after you make a successful backup of a SafeDisc game as far as running the game goes. First, I have successfully backed up the following games:

Age of Empires II:The Age of Kings SafeDisc alt
Black & White SafeDisc 2
Clive Barker’s Undying SafeDisc 2
Max Payne SafeDisc 2
Sheep SafeDisc 2
Star Trek Voyager Elite Force SafeDisc alt
Virtual Pool 3 SafeDisc alt

Now here are my issues and you can help by telling me if this is just me.

First, Max Payne won’t work even if you use the Hide CDR-Media option. The game launches but once you start a mission it shuts downs and drops you into windows. However, if you install the 1.05 patch then it works perfect (even without Hide CDR-Media). Now my question is this how it worked for others that have backed the game up. I mean I am happy the backup works but if I read posts on this forum correctly they made a backup that worked without the patch (not sure if using Hide CDR-Media was required though). Please let me know?

Next, Star Trek Elite Force works for multiplayer right after the backup. Though the single player keeps dropping you back into windows. After installing the 1.2 patch then similarily like Max Payne it works flawlessly. Another mystery. Anyone else have this happen to them?

The stragest is Virtual Pool 3. The back up will drop you out of the game into windows until you change the video resolution from the default. I can turn it up or turn it down and it works fine. All this seems very strange to me.

Finally Freedom Force backup worked until I launched the campaign where the video looked crazy and was all sorts of anomilies happened. Again…with the original no issues at all.

None of these situations have happened when using the original. I am really baffled. I have surfed these forums and taken everyones advice and purchased the stuff that is supposed to work great. So I am sort of bumbed about these weird things happening.

My stuff:

Originally posted by chrisojeda
[B]I have a question on the profile for SafeDisc(1/2/2.5) with no AWS:

The profile given is as follows:
Read Speed: Max
Fast Error Skip: On
Write Speed: Max
Always Close Last Session

My question is does it matter if I enable the following also

Read SubChannel Data from Data Tracks
Read SubChannel Data from Audio Tracks
Regerate Data Sectors
Fast Error Skip Settings set to Automatic

I don’t see how having the two read subchannels could adversely
effect the process since they would only pick up data if it existed, and do nothing if it did not. And while I don’t fully understand Regenerate Data Sectors, CloneCD recommends always leaving that enabled. I do understand more or less how Fast Error Skip works and CloneCD recommends leaving this enabled also.[/B]
Reading the subs unnecessarily will affect some writers, notably the Yamaha range. “Regenerate…” is disabled by default now in the supplied profiles and will slow some PCs down unnecessarily. Lite-On units need it for SecuROM from WC3 to The Thing. FES is set to auto by default. Some units will find errors where there are none if set to “On” on a non-SafeDisc protected CD. It is set to “On” in this profile because you only need it when reading SafeDisc
I don’t really care about the time it takes to make an image as I usually set it to run when I am doing something else and run at read of 1X.

neither your Lite-On nor Toshi can read at 1x[B]
My main concern is quality.

My reason for wanting to keep some settings even if they may slow the process is down is to simplify the number of profiles I use to make backups. Any help would greatly be appreciated…[/B]
Given your gear and if you read with the Toshi, you can just use the default profiles and not worry about custom settings.

Originally posted by chrisojeda
[B]Now here are my issues and you can help by telling me if this is just me.

First, Max Payne won’t work even if you use the Hide CDR-Media option…However, if you install the 1.05 patch then it works perfect (even without Hide CDR-Media).

Next, Star Trek Elite Force works for multiplayer right after the backup. Though the single player keeps dropping you back into windows. After installing the 1.2 patch then similarily like Max Payne it works flawlessly.

The stragest is Virtual Pool 3. The back up will drop you out of the game into windows until you change the video resolution from the default. I can turn it up or turn it down and it works fine.

Finally Freedom Force backup worked until I launched the campaign where the video looked crazy and was all sorts of anomilies happened. Again…with the original no issues at all.

My stuff:

1. Max Payne is Sd2.3.x without an offical patch so there is no ATIP Check requiring the use of “Hide CD-R Media”. The first official patch took it to SD2.4.x, the first ATIP Check implementation. The fact that it works, patched, without “Hide…” suggests a bug in SafeDisc or an imperfect backup. Toshi reads, except for the 1402, should be played in the Toshi that read it.

2. Star Trek Elite Force - does the original do the same? Either a bug in SafeDisc or a faulty backup (see below)

3. Virtual Pool 3 - probably a faulty backup (see below)

4. Freedom Force - Either a bug in SafeDisc or a faulty backup (see below)

A note about Toshiba DVD-ROM reading: always read in Hardware mode. The 1502 is known to produce faulty backups when reading in Software mode. I thought that the 1612 was a good unit but maybe it has the problems of the 1502.