Production year of Verbatim DVD media

vbimport

I have a Verbatim DVD-R pack that says:
“© Verbatim Corporation, 2007”.
Does it mean that the production year of the medias was 2007?

The year of manufacture of any Verbatim DVDR media can by easily and definitely determined by the serial numbers (also called “hub code”).
Could you post them?

:eek:
How do you read this thing???
I can see something written on the transparent ring in the middle when I hold the media against the light, but it’s impossible to recognise the letters.

With great difficulty :wink:

Usually takes me a few tries. It’s worse if your eyesight isn’t that good to start with!

What I do, is move the disc about a bit against the light, then type the numbers/letters that I see into your forum message box, move it about a bit again so the next few are visible…eventually you get them all down.

Welcome to the forum BTW :slight_smile:

EDIT: Pepst’s post gave me an idea: if you have a scanner, pop the disc on there and grab a close-up scan :slight_smile:

Won’t the direct light from the scanner damage the disc?

I’ve never noticed any damage or deterioration personally, but others may have?

I always thought it was UV light that had a negative effect on discs, but I’m happy to be corrected. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=ooe;2632811]Won’t the direct light from the scanner damage the disc?[/QUOTE]
Do not worry, it won’t affect or damage your discs at all.

This is, more or less, the hub code:
MAP 704 OE 161 74906 B4

Does it make sense?

This particular disc (and the whole pack) was manufactured on 16th May 2010.

It’s good to know that there is a way to find out the exact date.
The bad thing is that using this method is impossible at the store when buying a new pack.
If I can’t know the exact year at the store, maybe there is a way to know at least if the pack is new or not.
If I understand right, Verbatim stopped using the AZO dye at around 2010.
Would it be right to assume that a pack with a label that mentions AZO is not so new?

@Pepst

How do you manage to work out the date from the hub code? Is it a trick you can share with us? (Please :flower:)

[QUOTE=Ibex;2633201]How do you manage to work out the date from the hub code? Is it a trick you can share with us? (Please :flower:)[/QUOTE] You’ll find one of the decoder rings here (CMC manufactured Verbatims only).

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2633229]You’ll find one of the decoder rings here (CMC manufactured Verbatims only).[/QUOTE]

Dating of MBIL made media is even easier - the first number always means the year of manufacture, next three numbers mean the day of manufacture (counted from 1 to 365/366). Other things like the number of the manufacturing line and the serial number of the medium can be easily determined too.

Example:
6191 536 -R E A 11542 (this DVD-R medium was made on the 191th day of 2006 on the manufacturing line #536 as the medium #11542 made that day on that line).

Thanks [B]Drage [/B]& [B]Pepst[/B]. :flower::bow: (x2)

I did a search, but without success.

Is there a method for aging the Prodisc made ones and Taiyo Yuden discs?

[QUOTE=Ibex;2633250]Thanks [B]Drage [/B]& [B]Pepst[/B]. :flower::bow: (x2)

I did a search, but without success.

Is there a method for aging the Prodisc made ones and Taiyo Yuden discs?[/QUOTE]

Don’t know about TY’s system, but Prodisc’s serial numbering system is similar to the MBIL’s one.
Example: 7051F3414-01550C08 (this medium was made on the 51th day of 2007)

That’s very interesting info there pepst. :clap:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thank you again [B]Pepst[/B], you’re a star. :bow::bow::flower::flower:

Personally I keep a magnifying glass handy. Mine is a ‘normal’ magnifier over most of its area and then has a small ‘super’ magnifying spot for extra closeups. Probably not scientific quality but for just 3 or 4 dollars I don’t think I got hurt. Besides it’s the only way I can see those little numbers and letters.

It’s not just the transparency and size of the characters that makes it hard, it’s also the font which is a bit strange.

I still don’t understand how I can know the year when I’m at the store.
Maybe it doesn’t matter that much?

[QUOTE=ooe;2633573]It’s not just the transparency and size of the characters that makes it hard, it’s also the font which is a bit strange.

I still don’t understand how I can know the year when I’m at the store.
Maybe it doesn’t matter that much?[/QUOTE]

Unless I’m mistaken, the media is certain to be Mitsubishi product if the AZO logo is printed on the label. Non-MCC/MKM discs are sold under a different line (i.e. Verbatim Life series) with a different product code, and you won’t find any mention of AZO anywhere.

As for year of manufacture, a common observation is that older pre-2007 media (and a few would insist on pre-2005) is of higher quality. However, most of this stock has likely disappeared from shelves already, and it isn’t even certain if the reduced quality of today’s media has any long-term impact. Perhaps “good enough” (quality scans in spec, with the discs readable and compatible with a wide range of equipment) does the job just fine, provided that the burns are stable.