Product keys and Computer Upgrades / Reformats

I have ATT Uverse and they have McAfee internet Security as a free download for Uverse subscribers. I can use it on up to 4 computers. (I am also considering Kaspersky because I have heard it is better but it is not free and I don’t want to pirate anything)

Here are my questions:

1. If I decide to reformat my computer and reinstall windows sometime after I install the McAfee program, will it think it is another computer and make me use another of my license keys?

2. If I decide to upgrade my computer by installing some new hardware sometime after I install the McAfee program will it count that as a new computer and thus use up one of my license keys?

I am also interested how these questions would pertain to not just Mcafee but any other Internet Security program. (really any program in general)

(As a side note, I am thinking it is interesting to wonder what would be considered by a company to be a new computer. Could I upgrade everything except the case and still use the same license for a product or would they consider that to be a new computer and thus stop the program and require me to purchase a new license? --In my opinion it should have to do with the number of active computers that you still have. If you still only have one computer after upgrading and not 2 then you should still be able to use the license. That’s just my thinking, though, and I don;t know what the law or applicable company policies are regarding this.–)

Yo ilikestuff-

Usually it is not considered a “new” computer unless the motherboard is changed - in my experience. The software usually reads the number of computers using the software at any one time.

Also - most reviewers consider both Kaspersky, BitDefender and Norton Internet Suites to be the best protection - McAffe is usually rated pretty low.
I personally use BitDefender Internet Security 2011 - 3 user - 2 year on my computers.

1. If I decide to reformat my computer and reinstall windows sometime after I install the McAfee program, will it think it is another computer and make me use another of my license keys?

It should not as long as you didn’t change any hardware on the computer.That being said I have not actually done it to know for sure.

Usually after formatting and installing everything I make a recovery disc to put things back clean without having to reload everything again.

1. If I decide to upgrade my computer by installing some new hardware sometime after I install the McAfee program will it count that as a new computer and thus use up one of my license keys?

If you are just upgrading your are not uninstalling McAfee so no problem there.It is still loaded and working.

As a side note, I am thinking it is interesting to wonder what would be considered by a company to be a new computer. [U]Could I upgrade everything except the case[/U] and still use the same license for a product or would they consider that to be a new computer and thus stop the program and require me to purchase a new license?

No on upgrading everything except case.
Once you change the Motherboard or CPU among other things it is a new computer to most companies and they want you to buy another license.