ProdiscS03 DVD-R 4X: Good or Bad?

vbimport

The media in question is “on sale” here (10 pack @ €8.90). Has anyone tried this media with the ND-2500?

Cheers,
Peter

Haven’t tried it myself pdu
Scan results in the test forum are mixed:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77177&highlight=prodiscs03
(I’m sure you’ve looked there already)
It doesn’t look like the best media out there, but I’m betting they would work well with the 2500A :cool:

Post some results if you decide to try them out! :wink:

I think there are various “Grade” of quality about these media because FujiFilm also uses the same discs by Prodisc. I think it’s quite “unusual” that Fuji uses a bad media under its label.

(I’m sure you’ve looked there already)
Actually I didn’t :sad: But I just did :slight_smile: Results are a mixed bag (and no ND-2500 scores) but the LDW401S -> 411S - firmware FS0F result looks very nice. So the NEC should be able to do even better.

I guess that this media is not on par with high-end stuff like TYG01 but the price looked OK to me. Might give it a try though.

I’m also eager to find out the quality of the Fuji Prodiscs. I wonder if these are the Taiwan made Fuji’s. Japan versions were Taiyo Yuden but the shop I got em from switched to Prodisc. Anyone in holland or belgium know where to get the taiyo yuden versions?

The Prodisc S03 is as good as the Ritek G04. I burned both using my Pioneer 107 at 4X and both worked flawlessly.

I have burned like 100 Fuji ProdiscS03 all are fine in a nec 2500a
i also have burned Ritek G04 with no problems with this same drive :slight_smile:

Some (even out the same pack) S03 i tried were brilliant and some were shite.

I think there are different grade of prodisc s03.
Personally, i’ve bought a pack of printable prodisc s03 from mfym and they are working flawlessy.
On the same shop they’re selling the bulkpaq printable prodisc s03 dye for a much lower price.

I didn’t tried this kind of disk but i guess the difference in price is because of different grade of media.

I have just heard that this media can be burned @ 8X on the ND-2500. Can anyone confirm this??

Originally posted by pdu
I have just heard that this media can be burned @ 8X on the ND-2500. Can anyone confirm this??

I don’t know about Herrie’s great beta firmware releases, but the stock firmware from NEC does not allow burning ProdiscS03 media at 8x.

Well, at least it didn’t for me. :slight_smile:

The Memorex brand disks that I used were ProdiscS03’s and worked perfectly in my 1300a, 105, and EVEN in my BTC1004IM. Unfortunately they switch to CMC now, not that I have any problems with the CMC’s, but I really liked the ProdiscS03’s.

nope it doesn’t i have this media and tried it with Herrie’s firmware still only 4x write :frowning:

Originally posted by pdu

Originally posted by I Have Piles
Some (even out the same pack) S03 i tried were brilliant and some were shite.

I have to agree with you, I had a spindle of Bulpaq Printables and some were perfect and some were absolutely shite, all on the same spindle. Same results with both my NEC and Pioneer.

It seems that some S03 are great but my advice is steer clear of the Bulpaq.

dvdrecordable.org reviewed these discs here and it seems to be really nice. U can get them from svp.co.uk

Originally posted by booma
dvdrecordable.org reviewed these discs here and it seems to be really nice. U can get them from svp.co.uk

I’m only telling you what happened with me and the spindle I had, funnily enough bought from SVP because of the very same review that you read!

As I said, I tried them in a Pioneer DVR-107D and an NEC ND-2500A and some burned beautifully and some died a death.

Take that as you will…

blankdiscshop.co.uk (svp.co.uk) post the Media Code of their DVD media on their shop pages. If what you got is different to what they say, I’d let them know - indeed, I’d let them know if your results on the media you got were variable.

At the moment, I’m only using a handful of DVD-R and am relatively happy to pay the premium price (99p including VAT each) for the jewel cased, inkjet printable Verbatim DataLife Plus 4x DVD-R - order code {DV 3050}. This media seems to work very well with stock NEC early 1.06 firmware at 8x - it’s MCC01RG20 media. I’d be even happier if they offered either the 25 disc spindle of this media (which apparently lacks the hub branding of the jewel cased version), or Taiyo Yuden printable DVD-R, but they don’t at the moment.

David

Ain’t that a b*tch. I guess we can only expect so much for so little price… something had to give way, and I guess it was the quality control. Personally, now that I’ve seen what Joe Public has reported, I’m even more cemented in my ways of using only datasafe media thru and thru.
at £19 for Ricoh +Rs which burn happily at 8x in my 811 and about £14 for G04s which are all flawless in the said 811, I’ve found my sweetspot.

@David
I tried the MCCs from a fair, but I got better kprobe scans on my datasafes despite the price difference:eek:. Have u tried any riteks with the new hacked firmwares? people like Wesociety are getting absolutely incredible results at 8x (plus that’d save u a few bob).

As I don’t have a Lite On DVD writer to use KProbe with, I really have no way of quality checking discs (I’ve got a Lite On DVD-ROM, but that’s no real use).

Personally I’m happy to stick with the Verbatim media - I’ve got enough to keep me going for a few months anyway.

David

I bought 50 ProdiscS03 discs from an online store in Germany. The media had a white label, with silver Prodisc-logo on them.

Tested the discs with a Pioneer 106, NEC 2500 and Plextor 708A. Every one of them produced way-out-of-spec discs that were totally unreadable. Rest of the discs went back to the store.

.: colin