Prodiscf01 w/ 3520a

vbimport

Hey everybody…
When i bought my ND-3520a, i was told that these were good media, so i bought a bunch…
I had no idea there could be differences etc…
So basically i am stuck with them and I guess i’ll use them to back up my movies in data mode with Nero unless someone tells me they are really bad…
I just wanna be able to backup the files, like put them on, store them in a nice case, not touch them for a while, and still for them to be there when i wanna watch it…
How long do you figure each disk would last? I dont’ want to have all my disks fail after a couple months…
Basically, i just want them to work for the longest time so i don’t have to reburn the files or at least there will be new media types by then…
Thx in advance
David

Come on people… I’m sure someone knows…

I can’t say how they will do in the NEC drive, but I’ve gone through four Fujifilm-branded 25-packs of ProdiscF01, and they gave me consistently good burns in BenQ 1620 (at 12x) and LG 4163 (at 8x). Typical PIF numbers are between 100 and 300 total, with 4-6 max PIF in 8ECC scanning. I am pretty confident in these discs, but then I always burn at least two copies of every image, on different media…

Frankly, I have no idea how long they are going to last, but if it makes you feel any better, I consider these Fujifilm Prodiscs primary copies in their respective pairs. :slight_smile:

Awesome…
I mean there’s just so much i can do to backup my stuff, i just want it to work for as long as possible until i can store it someplace else i guess…

No problems with ProdiscF01 here. But stay away from the printable ones - they may have issues.

Good, good… but what are the printable ones?
Mine are TEAC branded…

Anyone have any more info for me?

Yo-

First of all - please calm down - sometimes it takes a while for folks to answer the questions-

Second of all - I have two NEC 3500’s and found that the Prodisc 8x -R (F01) were very inconsistant in their burning predictability - I would get four or five very good movie backups and then get one with errors somewhere in the burn-

I finally threw them out and now only use Ritek, Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim and Maxell medias-

Mike

I got these disc in FujiFilm brand
8X at my NEC 2500@2510
burned with nice quality, according to cdspeed test and plextor pi/po scan

What does that concretely mean?
How bad would these errors be, what would it cause?
Would they fail quicker? Be slower?

Yo-

Like I said - I threw them away as Crap Media-

Mike

Yeah but that doesn’ tell me anything…
What do you mean by crap media…
Like it would fail instantly?
Im still trying to figure out how bad is bad in the world of media, im new to all this.

Yo Riton-

IMO - anytime that you don’t burn a media at 95% or better - you are throwing socalled “saved” money away - and my experience with the F01’s was that more than one in ten (usually two in ten) were bad - which is far too high for reliable media and puts them in my Crap Media bin-

If you are truely interested in educating yourself in the wide world of media - read all the information here:

Mike

Can you, once and for all, tell me what you mean by bad. As in it wouldn’t read from the very first time? it woudl fail after 2 days? what is “bad”???

Yo-

If you had taken the time to read all the information at the link I provided - you would not be asking this question again-

Mike

I’ve currently only got the NEC2500 but I find the ProdiscF01 media to be very good. Occasionally with any media a bad burn is possible & I’ve usually found a reason for it eg badly fragmented image or vob files.

Used some Datawrite Greys with this dye (thought I was getting fujifilm) and found PIEs going up to 300ish. This is not good as PIEs should not go above a maximum of 280 for any prolonged area. This is considered the MINIMUM standard for disk quality.

In comparison with my 3520a flashed to 3.04, using 8X DVD-R verbatim burned at 4X I am getting PIEs maxing at about 20 at the far end, and averaging at 3 over the whole disk. My PIF peak is usually 2 or 3 and averaging at 0.02ish. This is what constitutes a good burn!

I am new to DVD burning but have done some research and have found this - a ‘good’ burn is technically defined as PIE max 280 and PIF max 4. Individual spikes exceding these values are generally ignored. This means that your disk will be happily read by the drive you tested it on. However - the number of PIEs and PIFs relates directly to how tolerant the disk will be to future damage through scratches, heat etc. As far as we know, a disk stored in a dark, cool place and never used will last many years irrespective of the dye, manufacturer or burn standard as long as the above values are met. The oft mentioned disk rot is probably a myth.

From what I have seen on these lists, a rule of thumb ‘very good’ burn is one where PIE’s are well below 100 - perhaps maxing at 20 or 30 at the outer edge - and PIFs average well under 0.1 or so for the whole disk and peaking at 2 or 3. I would not expect to get these values from cheap disks, but will expect a movie burned onto cheap (eg Ritek) disks to play if it at least meets the ‘good’ standard rather than the ‘very good’ standard.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=135981&page=2

Some useful info with comments from some of the more informed posters on this forum.