Prodisc To Launch 4.9GB DVD Discs

This May, Prodisc unveiled their 4.9GB DVD-R discs at Computex. DigiTimes has now reported that they will start production later this quarter.
Prodisc Technology has developed 8x DVD-R discs with a storage capacity of 4.9GB, 200MB larger than standard 4.7GB discs, the company pointed out. The extra 200MB capacity is generated through reducing the track pitch and thereby fitting longer tracks onto the disc, the company explained.

Volume production of 4.9GB 8x DVD-R discs will kick off later this quarter, Prodisc noted.

Currently, 15 optical disc drive (ODD) makers offer burners that support the 4.9GB DVD-R discs, with LG Electronics, NEC, Pioneer, Ricoh, Samsung Electronics, Toshiba, TEAC as well as Taiwan’s BenQ and Lite-On IT being among the makers, Prodisc added.
No word on pricing yet. As with any specialized media, you’ll probably pay a premium for it.

Source: CDRLabs & DigiTimes

Which drives can overburn these discs??
They mention NEC, Pioneer, LG, Lite-On, Toshiba etc but in every review I’ve read no burner can overburn? :confused:

Is it possible but not activated through firmware or something like that? :confused:

Although you probably won’t need the extra 200Mb it’s always nice if you have the space available. :iagree:

i remember reading an article like this a few months ago. Wouldn’t this not comply with dvd standards? so it may have playing comptability problems in dvd players?

I’ll stick with the standard 4.7gb discs. I am not paying more for an additional 200mb, especially if there will be compatibility problems, and/or overburning will be involved.

DVD overburning has been a feature available on ie Nero for a long time now, i have yet to see a drive able to do it on current media. It would be interesting for me to see whether it works and to what extent, but i guess most people wont as 200 mb more aint that much of a difference.

Overburning was only popular when CD-R 650MB disks were expensive and 700MB disks were even more expensive. DVD+R and DVD-R 4,300MB disks today are much cheaper than the CD-R 650MB disks when overburning was most popular.

So you’re saying that drives available now can overburn as long as you’ve these new discs?

nope, i just said that i havent seen any drive actually overburning on current media, dont know what will be the case with these new media :slight_smile:

Plextor PX-712A and PX-716A can overburn DVD+R (around 4,85gb) and CD-R (99 mins). I believe there is one more brand that can overburn. I mostly overburn all my DVD movie backups using DVD Shrink set to 4.599MB (=4.85gb).

But can they also overburn on DVD-R??

Because these new discs are 4.9GB DVD-R discs.

Could your BenQ 1640,1655 overburn? I have both, 1655 shows it can do up to 4652MB that in CD-SPEED but 1640 couln’t. I have 4558MB from 7 cd’s to fit in one DVD, I tried DVD data disc making in Nero 6.6.0.13 but it just told me my disc was 4478, then it just terminate the process. Do I need to get this 4.9GB disc? Where is it sold, how much?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if the nominal capacity of media is X, then burning X amount of data is only filling available capacity, and not actually overburning.

Fitting X + Y data on a media with a nominal capacity of X is overburning.

That said, there will always be a variation in the track pitch by burners, even if not intentional :stuck_out_tongue:

When CDR’s could be overburned, 50MB was a lot of space & it was free, but nowadays 200Mb’s isn’t really that much, and isn’t worth paying for when another 4.5GB disc is very cheap anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

Hurray, almost 5% more! So very useful.

What exactly is wrong with Dual Layer?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if the nominal capacity of media is X, then burning X amount of data is only filling available capacity, and not actually overburning.
To my knowledge, overburning doesnt actually refer to the media but the format. Writing more than what the book standard says is overburning, regardless of the media used which in this case are not playing by the book anyways. Plus, it is overburning cause it puts the drive on the test regardless again of the media used.