Processors

Good morning, I am sorting out a specification for a new PC. I am not into gaming, more into making, editing Videos, photographs and amateur radio. Which is the best processor ? Intel or AMD

Yo Peter-

I would sat that the [B]Intel i7 [/B]line of processors is probably your best bang for your buck-eh!

Thank you Mike, much appreciated

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2680313]Yo Peter-

I would sat that the [B]Intel i7 [/B]line of processors is probably your best bang for your buck-eh![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I’d say Intel are knocking AMD out of the park on most things…

Only thing, if you intend making do with Onboard graphics, the AMD A-series APU Graphics are far superior to anything on the Intel, though Intel’s “HD” is a lot better than the junk that they used to do.

The AMD integrated graphics are generally better than the most bottom end cards, while the Intel’s are still scraping the bottom of the barrel.

[QUOTE=peterwjay;2680310][LEFT]Good morning, I am sorting out a specification for a new PC. I am not into gaming, more into making, editing Videos, photographs and amateur radio. Which is the best processor ? Intel or AMD[/LEFT]
[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about Desktop or Laptop?? That is also good to know as Intel based laptop cost more then AMD based laptop as well. But with anything the CPU isn’t the only good part of the computer RAM and CPU speed and GPU especially since you mentioned video and photograph to get the best performance on your system bases. But Intel will cost more you need to know that as well. AMD if you can’t afford the i7 prices amateur radio could you elaborate more as what you mean?

For heavy duty, video encoding, you should check benchmarks for processors and decide what performance/price ratio fits your budget. It’s quite possible that you can get a 6-8 core amd which will outperform the equivalent priced Intel cpu, for the most common task you use your pc for.

For casual use, the Intel i3, i5 and i7 (series 2 & 3 only) have quicksync, which is a dedicated h264 video encoding chip which crunches videos much faster and efficiently than using software/cpu video encoding.
Quick sync has been noted to have lower quality than pure software/cpu encoding, but casual users wouldn’t notice.