Processor question

Hi, need help on which processor to get , I have a single core 939 and looking to upgrade for the last time , AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0GHz / 1MB Cache / 1000MHz (2000 MT/s) FSB / Toledo / Dual-Core / OEM / Socket 939 / Processor, one is from newegg and the other from tiger direct, or any other suggestions , thanks

[QUOTE=raider12]Hi, need help on which processor to get , I have a single core 939 and looking to upgrade for the last time , AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor or a AMD Opteron 165 Denmark 1.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor

Give it some time, it’s always quiet on weekends :wink:

if youre into overclocking id go for the opteron if not get the 3800+ x2 :slight_smile: , but really socket 939 is dead and im sure ddr2 is cheap enough now and am2 cpus are cheap enough now to change over

They’re both the same CPU, [B]raider12[/B]. Going by the info on the sites, they’re both E6 stepping.

The Opteron 185 Dual Core I have has the exact same specs as the AMD 4800X2. Both run at 2.6Ghz and have almost identical specs all around. It was the last decent socket 939 around.:iagree:

Well I need a upgrade and don’t want to switch over to am2 ,Have to much invested so you think the Opteron 185 is what I should go with , need it for gaming , Was looking at the Opteron 170 would that be better than the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache ,don’t want to spend to much. Any suggestions

I was in the same position about a month ago. I did not want to change my Asus AN8SLI32 Deluxe Motherboard. One of the last good MBs that has 2 IDE channells.

I hear you [B]Alan[/B], I got one after I found out my A8R-MVP wasn’t compatible with the FX-60 I bought. Wouldn’t trade it for the world now.

All depends on your needs, I would definitely get one with the 2x1mb cache. If you have a decent board you could overclock it some and get some more bang for your buck, and with a good board and cooler the Opty’s have gotten some impressive overclocks. Just something to think about. :slight_smile:

[off-topic] I hope the Raiders start challenging the Chargers and Broncos again for the division soon since they traded the cancer away. From a Colts fan. :slight_smile:

I did the 939 upgrade last summer and I remember many raves about the Opteron over clocking abilities. Also, the dual core abilities are of no value on gaming. I, however, wound up with a 4200 X2 and pushed it to 2.6 GHz with no trouble. I have found that most of the speed increase was really not essential with games. Most of my needs were met with an nVidia 7900GT. I would go with the dual core as it has the best chance of adapting to new software.

What do you have right now?

EVGA 256mb 7600gt - AMD athlon 64 venice 2.2 - corsair xms 2 gigs, would you upgrade to a dual core

Do you know what motherboard you have? Check compatibility on it before you buy if you are considering an Opteron, some of the older boards may not be compatible. If that’s the case then you will be stuck with an X2 instead.

Not a bad system there, but since it’s getting harder and harder to find a SKT 939 dual core cpu it would be worth it in the long run to upgrade now while there is still some available. It will make a difference multitasking mainly.

motherboard is asus a8n5x , so what would you suggest a opteron dual or a athlon x2 like to keep it under 100

As much as I know you don’t want to hear it, I would stay with what you have. If you are a serious gamer you know you will want a DirectX 10 card in a while and as nice as the dual core sounds, I just never use mine for anything serious. I have the same ASUS board as you and the logical next step would be an 8800 or 8600 card so you can be ready. It will also give you a boost over your 7600. My 7900 made a huge difference and the CPU upgrade was just not necessary. Any more spent on your 939 socket will just annoy you when you jump to AM2 anyway. At least with the video upgrade you will be able to take it to the new hardware. If you spend the money and move to dual core your gaming will actually take a hit as the CPU will be slower with any of your options above.

Thanks for the feed back and I think your right , by Christmas I would like to get a 8800 card, I think thats the way to get another 2 or 3 years out of my system, thanks again.

You’re welcome. Don’t forget the 8600 as an option. Unless you have a freaking large display it is very attractive compared to the 8800 and it doesn’t need its own power supply.