Processor, OEM or RETAIL?

vbimport

When buying a processor should I go with retail over oem. The retail package is more expensive but is there any difference / reason i shouldpay the extra to get the retail package over the oem?

You get a nifty box and probably a fan…
Go for OEM instead… :slight_smile:

any difference in warranty between retail and oem?

Sometimes there is yes.

The difference between OEM and Retail has been discussed before, just don’t know it it was only discussed in the Dutch section or in the Intereational (English) section as well.

Perhaps a search on ‘OEM AND Retail’ might help.

Hello
you get 3 years warranty if you get i box
if you get OEM you get 1 years warranty

////Hokif

The difference is in the warranty and fan…
OEM=30 day warranty and no heatsink and fan
Retail=3 year warranty and includes a heatsink and fan
How does AMD know the difference the serial number for the processor is on the fan, so if you use another fan keep the fan that came in the retail you will need it…

Also AMD oem processors come factory unlocked so you can overclock straight away without having to use a lead pencil to unlock:)

all OEM processors do NOT come ‘unlocked’. As a matter of fact the newer ones even have laser cuts/valleys to make the pencil trick impossible (one has to fill/level this valley and use a conductive fluid). AMD doesn’t really care what people do with their personal cpu’s, but unlocked cpu’s would enable unscrupulous dealers to sell cheaper overclocked cpu’s to unsuspecting people.

At most computer shows the OEM versions have 30 day warrantees. And if you choose to overclock the Retail version, the fan/heatsink will have to be replaced.

As has been said, the retial versions come with a heatsink and fan and a longer warranty. I’ve seen OEM versions sold with 15 DAY warranties! I prefer buying the retail version. Having said that, I found such great deals on the last few Athlons I bought that I went OEM and even with 15 day warranties had no problems. Plus, I wound up with a better heatsink/fan than what came with the retail version.

Originally posted by ant4bud
any difference in warranty between retail and oem?

You get a fan and sometimes a cute little sticker if you buy a Retail :wink:

But I have good cooling and all that so I always buy OEM. But if you aren’t going to overclock and don’t have cooling already Retail is a good choice.

Never thought of warranty…
Here we have minimum 1 year warranty on everything (except for stuff you eat or whipe your a** with:))
Says so in the big blue book “Law”. :slight_smile:

Well that’s a good thing. We’re not quite that far-thinking in the States, but my experience has been that if it works when you power it up, it will work for a long time barring anything stupid done by the user. (And yes, I plead guilty to that on occasion.)

Originally posted by Airhead
Never thought of warranty…
Here we have minimum 1 year warranty on everything (except for stuff you eat or whipe your a** with:))
Says so in the big blue book “Law”. :slight_smile:

My experience is if it doesn’t work, you hit it with something. Then it will work… :slight_smile:
That was precisley what I did with my harddrive a few days ago… I came home from a LAN and when I booted up, the computer said ‘Invalid system disc’.
So I made sure all cables where attached correctly, and tried again. Still same result.

Now I got a bit worried, and tried the HD in my other computer.
That computer couldn’t access it either.
So I threw my HD at my bed, and in a last effort of dispare, I tried again.
Now it worked, and it has been working flawlessly since last week.
Everything can be solved with a little force… :wink:

Of course you now have that dent in the headboard.

Originally posted by Airhead
[B]My experience is if it doesn’t work, you hit it with something. Then it will work… :slight_smile:
That was precisley what I did with my harddrive a few days ago… I came home from a LAN and when I booted up, the computer said ‘Invalid system disc’.
So I made sure all cables where attached correctly, and tried again. Still same result.

Now I got a bit worried, and tried the HD in my other computer.
That computer couldn’t access it either.
So I threw my HD at my bed, and in a last effort of dispare, I tried again.
Now it worked, and it has been working flawlessly since last week.
Everything can be solved with a little force… :wink: [/B]

MysticEyes all OEM processors do NOT come ‘unlocked’. As a matter of fact the newer ones even have laser cuts/valleys to make the pencil trick impossible (one has to fill/level this valley and use a conductive fluid). AMD doesn’t really care what people do with their personal cpu’s, but unlocked cpu’s would enable unscrupulous dealers to sell cheaper overclocked cpu’s to unsuspecting people.

sorry to tell you but i have bought sevral oem AMD chips and ALL of them have been factory unlocked also i have only ever bought 1 chip at a pc show it was factory unlocked as well.

all of the processors i have bought have had a 1 year warranty (all oem) even the one from the show.

they might not be unlocked in your country but they are here

generally, an electronic component will either break very quickly, as in the first couple of uses, or it will last for a damned long time. long warranties are there for user stupidity/ignorance and to make extra money, in my opinion.