Processor most computer-literate people would buy

Look above and answer…

is cost an issue?

Cost is not an issue. Assume that all processor’s clock speeds are rated equally, eg. Pentium 4 2Ghz and AthlonXP 2000+.

If cost was an issue I would definitely go with AMD. However, I feel that Intel is better in multimedia usage.

I like more the Intel based motherboards , stability and speed is what i need more .

Cost no issue ? Beowulf Cluster of 64 Xeon processors :slight_smile:

If cost was an issue, I’d go for the XP, no doubt about that!

If cost ain’t an issue, I’d go for a DEC EV8! (will it ever hit the streets?)

If cost is an issue: Athlon XP
If cost is not an issue: Athlon XP

Please pay attention to the details:

DESKTOP processor!

Originally posted by olyboy
I like more the Intel based motherboards , stability and speed is what i need more .

That right there is a fine example between an experience computer user and a computer-literate user. An experienced user would know how to make both a Intel or AMD based system stable. I don’t know how some people can still come up w/ the “Intel is more stable” statement. The fact is if you know what you’re doing, meaning knows how to build a system from scratch, choosing the right components that won’t cause conflicts on the right OS, you will get a very very stable system.

I feel that Intel is better in multimedia usage.

And why is that? Just because Intel’s doing countless ads and commercials to educate the computer-literate consumers? That Intel has more L2 cache? SSE2? Or HyperThreading? Have you paired an Intel P4 2.8 DDR system w/ an AMD Tbred XP2800+ DDR system and encode the same divx movie w/ exactly the same settings?

I chose AMD, just 'cause it’s easier on the pocket. And cost is no object, I’ll buy an AMD MP system, thank you very much.

As far as i know, the hyperthreading CPUs will be more expensive than 2 athlons upon release :frowning:

Well, I’ve chosen Intel because at the moment when I bought it, this CPU was not more expensive than a comparable Athlon XP CPU in Germany, and I have my …experiences… with systems containing VIA components :stuck_out_tongue:

plus, you can OC a p4 like mad.

That right there is a fine example between an experience computer user and a computer-literate user. An experienced user would know how to make both a Intel or AMD based system stable.

The Intel system does not need help to be stable .
But please tell me ,what do you use on the VIA and SiS , when there is a problem , magic ?

The Intel system does not need help to be stable .
But please tell me ,what do you use on the VIA and SiS , when there is a problem , magic ?

Now this is a very ignorant and senseless comment.

Please note: The type of hardware configuration can make or break a system.

If you buy a shitty motherboard for a P4, it will be no more stable than a shitty motherboard for an AMD.

BTW, I believe that the AMD always had better motherboards (Take KT400 for example). I don’t think you will find a better quality motherboard for P4/Celeran that can compare to some of the top-notch AMD motherboards.

Originally posted by DanDaMan1487
[B]Please pay attention to the details:

DESKTOP processor! [/B]

Why not use an EV-series CPU from DEC-Digital (HP nowadays) as a desktop CPU? With Redhat Linux for Alpha systems it works incribebly fine and fast… a friend of mine does own such a system and it’s really fast… just 450Mhz but damn fast!

Originally posted by alexnoe
[B]As far as i know, the hyperthreading CPUs will be more expensive than 2 athlons upon release :frowning:

Well, I’ve chosen Intel because at the moment when I bought it, this CPU was not more expensive than a comparable Athlon XP CPU in Germany, and I have my …experiences… with systems containing VIA components :stuck_out_tongue: [/B]

You’re right, (2) AMD MP2200+ Tbred @ $215 each, or $430. AMD XP2800+ Tbred @ $ 410. Intel P4 3.06G w/ HT @ $720. And on the VIA chipset problem. How long ago was that? 1 year? year and half? A lot of people thing just because Abit made crappy mobos w/ VIA KT133 chipset, that it’s still happening. Well, if you’re a long time AMD user, you’d know that VIA fixed the problem w/ their KT133A chipset. And I do believe the chipset problem is caused by the mobo manufacturer half of the time. I have two MSI mobos running KT266 and KT266A respectively, and have had no problem what so ever.

Originally posted by DanDaMan1487
[B]

Now this is a very ignorant and senseless comment.

Please note: The type of hardware configuration can make or break a system.

If you buy a shitty motherboard for a P4, it will be no more stable than a shitty motherboard for an AMD.

BTW, I believe that the AMD always had better motherboards (Take KT400 for example). I don’t think you will find a better quality motherboard for P4/Celeran that can compare to some of the top-notch AMD motherboards. [/B]

No doubt. People always associate the more expensive product w/ quality. Very very ignorant. It’s like a person choosing to buy a Benz over a Lexus for the brand, then end up paying huge sums of money to fix the problems after the warranty expires, while the Lexus owner is still enjoying his less expensive, more reliable and equally luxurious ride.

Originally posted by olyboy

Who said I have a SiS mobo? And when I have a problem, which is rare since I do research and get feedback before I go out and buy components, I use my knowledge to solve it. Said problem is always limited to software, so there’s nothing a simple system restore w/ image backup I made can’t solve.

and in short - whats the point anyways? who really needs that many cycles? anyone? bueller? anyone? the average desktop user could get by on a 400 mhz processor, and not be any sadder for it.

anyone? bueller? anyone?

lol, reminds me of “Ferris Bueller’s day off” which I just bought and watched today. Is this what you are referring to? :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Current systems built for myself and others:

Pentium 4 1.5 GHz
Pentium 4 2.0a GHz
Pentium 4 2.0a GHz
Pentium 4 2.0a GHz

I think you can tell where my vote went…

For now, Pentium 4 2.4GHz processors based on the Northwood core with 512KB L2 cache cost less than US$200. Athlon XP 2000+ processors are much cheaper but does it count much really? For people like myself, yes, but not to the majority of people who actually buy PC and present the most profits to either AMD or Intel. Pentium 4 Celeron 2.0GHz processors based on the Northwood core with 128KB L2 cache cost only US$80 even in Seoul.

Anyway, I am running an Athlon 1.33GHz based on the Thunderbird AYHJA core with 256KB L2 cache on an AMD-761-based motherboard built by Chaintech of Taiwan. They run fine together and even the VIA south bridge chip works alright for the most things I do daily. When I bought those, Intel P4 1.5GHz was 1.5x as expensive as the Athlon and any i850 mobo was at least 2.0x as expensive as the AMD-761 mobo.

If cost was not an issue, I’d have several Supermicro motherboards based on Intel E7500 or ServerWorks chipsets with dual SCSI320 onboard. For dual Intel Xeon 2.8GHz or higher, of course.

As for HyperThreading, it’s still too early to judge but I feel it’s the greatest notable innovation since the early days of microprocessors. Though it was Alpha that first pioneered SMT technologies, it will be Intel that successfully distributes the end-user products to the majority of PC users.