Probs with gta 3

vbimport

well i just got this game, and i play it on a P4 1,8 Ghz, 512mb Rimm, 40gb maxtor hd (7200rpm) , and a creative geforce 2 TI.
on Windows Xp pro.
but i can't play very well in 1024x768 16-bit.
the game gets very jerky. i tried to experiment with the various options ( like trail )but no dice...

if any of you guys have the same prob / solution,
or if it's just normal, plz tell me...

Thnx in advance.

There is a fix for the d3d rendering in XP, don`t remember what it is called, but look around in the “Games” forum section at isonews…there is alot of info for you.

well, i’ll check it out,

thnx mate…

I believe it is a "smooth’ patch
This problem has been discussed in this forum prior to your question, perhaps a search for it will help.

Heck, it was even listed two lines below this post before I replied:
http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=47282

Well thnx for the info, but i tried everything that was in that thread, and still no dice,

i really think the game is just another f*cked up port…:frowning:

The game runs allright for me on my low-end sys (p2-450 & geforce256ddr) in 1024x768x16

-Make sure trails are OFF, frame limiter OFF & frame sync OFF
-Run in 16bit colour (virtually no difference visually)
-Get the right Detonator drivers for your card

Originally posted by Azaroth-Sabre
[B]Well thnx for the info, but i tried everything that was in that thread, and still no dice,

i really think the game is just another f*cked up port…:frowning: [/B]

Are you sure you tried the 3D Analyze proggie? Because with a decent cpu (anything above an old Tbird 1Ghz), it really works very well. Even on a Duron 900 from a friend of mine it worked ok.

I guess the cpu is much better off handling TnL than the Gforce 2 cards (I have the G2 GTS and my friend has a G2MX200). That’s why you see all the guys with G3’s saying they don’t have any problems (TnL is hardware supported on the G3, unlike the G2’s that support it by DirectX emulation).

your right, i forgot one :slight_smile:

i’ll check it out right away, i’ll let you know if it worked…

PetePT - Do you know your facts for sure? I have a GF2MX400 and it does support Hardware TnL and does a good job at it! I can play GTA3 on a P3-500Mhz with a GF2 w/trails at a perfectly-smooth framerate!(I’d say around 30-40FPS).

And trust me, it is very rare that the CPU does better TnL than a videocard that fully supports it. Get your facts straight

PetePT - Do you know your facts for sure? I have a GF2MX400 and it does support Hardware TnL and does a good job at it! I can play GTA3 on a P3-500Mhz with a GF2 w/trails at a perfectly-smooth framerate!(I’d say around 30-40FPS).

And trust me, it is very rare that the CPU does better TnL than a videocard that fully supports it. Get your facts straight

i agree i have a gf2 ultra and it supports it too

It’s one thing to support it… it’s another to be fast at doing it :wink:

All I know is that with my Gforce2 GTS I had the viewing distance below half, trails off, frame sync off, and all that stuff, and in Staunton Island the game would stutter a lot, especially when I was speeding through town or turning the camera fast. When I forced software TnL I got the viewing distance to max and even if I’m walking and start jerking the mouse from left to right in an area with lots of buildings that you can see from far away (like near the construction area), the camera moves smoothly around.

And don’t forget one thing… the game needs DX8.1, so it uses its implementations, which were made after the geforce2 generation was on the market… so there’s no way they are engineered to support those. I don’t know how to explain it better, I would call it emulation support by the DX routines, but it’s the wrong way of saying it.

Just like an example: only from Gforce3 did the boards started supporting vertex programming. But if you run a game with that on a Gforce2, you will still run the game and see everything. Only MUCH slower, because it’s not “hardware” supported, it has to be “translated” by DX to the card. And if you redirect it to the CPU it should become faster, because the card is already busy handling the rest of the rendering, and the CPU is idling around compared to that.

But like I said… I read some of the explanations around a lot of time ago, and I don’t remember half, since I don’t need to know that other than for curiosity. All I know is that it speeded up the game for me, and for a whole bunch of people that have G2’s. So I don’t ask many questions :slight_smile:

BTW, how do you see the frame rate in the game??

well for 1 i run gta3 and every other game i have at 1600x1200dpi 32bit colour depth and not once has gta3 slowed down, skipped or had any negative video effects.

my system

athlon xp1900+
asus a7a266-e mobo
3d prophet11 ultra 64mb gf2
512mb ddr ram
sb audigy

Ok, the 3d analyze did work out…a little…
not much, but it’s sumthin.

thanks, y’all

Do you use the DEViANCE version? It’s the crack itself that makes this problem. I’ve seen this problem at computers that runs the crack but never on a orginal version.
If you have the game original, I’m confused. :confused:

I Have The Original…

Use Nero to check drive speed, I bought an ATA/100 drive, but due to my IDE controller not installing corectly it was registered by Nero for a constant 4Mb/sec. I downloaded some driver updates and got it to 30mb/sec which got me to 30FPS in 1024x768x32.

BTW, how do you see the frame rate in the game??

There’s a program called Fraps. I forget where I downloaded it, but google or yahoo probably will find it.

You need a newer version of d3d8.dll - it can be found on microsoft’s website somewhere, download here

Problems do occur with GTA3 when using WinXp with an nVIDIA based videocard