Problems with Windows 7

My Windows 7 installation is totally messed up. IDK how it got this bad, and I’m at a loss as to how to fix it.

Here are my problems: First off, when it starts, it uses the lowest resolution possible. Then a few of my startup apps crash. Then when I try to do something about all this I find I have absolutely no use of my mouse or keyboard. :confused:

I’m using a Windows Vista installation on the same computer, and have learned how to manually load 7’s registry hives, but have absolutely no clue as to what to do from there, since I don’t know the cause of the problem.

It could be that 7 no longer recognizes its own partition, since these problems started occurring after a partition resize.

If I could just regain the use of my mouse and keyboard, perhaps I could figure out the issue from there.

Yeah…if you have the W7 installation disc and reinstall.
I am guessing you don’t have it though.

Some others here will likely be able to help you more if you don’t have installation disc.

Likely run some scans on the W7 hard drive…

I do have the installation disk. However, I’ve come to hate installing Windows, and would prefer to avoid it if possible.

PS: this morning I managed to place a batch script in the Start Menu’s Startup folder. This script basically called the SFC /SCANNOW command. It crashed saying something about not being able to initialize.

I also tried running a system restore from the disk, but appearently there were not restore points (somehow I doubt that).

did u try using safe mode?

I’ve come to hate installing Windows, and would prefer to avoid it if possible.

Javedc: Unfortunately, the exact same thing happens in Safe Mode. Any other ideas?
Picerjamo: FYI, your image has now become a dead link.

Sometimes if you plug the usb mouse and or keyboard in a different slot they start working.It reloads drivers that way.

Did you resize bigger or smaller ? How did you resize?
I use G-Parted and have had good luck with it.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2674690]My Windows 7 installation is totally messed up. IDK how it got this bad, and I’m at a loss as to how to fix it.

Here are my problems: First off, when it starts, it uses the lowest resolution possible. Then a few of my startup apps crash. Then when I try to do something about all this I find I have [B]absolutely no use of my mouse or keyboard[/B]. :confused:

I’m using a Windows Vista installation on the same computer, and have learned how to manually load 7’s registry hives, but have absolutely no clue as to what to do from there, since I don’t know the cause of the problem.

It could be that 7 no longer recognizes its own partition, since these problems started occurring [B]after a partition resize[/B].

If I could just regain the use of my mouse and keyboard, perhaps I could figure out the issue from there.[/QUOTE]

Put this way you gave no specs or hardware details for anyone to give you help on as to what is causing the problem nor how to fix it. So at least give specs info if you want real help just saying I have problem and problems without any specs will just run in circles…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2675049]Put this way you gave no specs or hardware details for anyone to give you help on as to what is causing the problem nor how to fix it. So at least give specs info if you want real help just saying I have problem and problems without any specs will just run in circles…[/QUOTE]

Your right, I should put my specs.:bow:

I have an Intel Pentium 4 Dual-Core CPU E5200 @2.5 ghz, 6 gbs of Ram, 500 gb internal harddrive. I can’t quite recall the exact sizes of my partitions before the resize, but after…

Partition 1 = 222 GB (238,738,718,720 bytes)
[B]Partition 2 = 40.1 GB (104,650,203,136 bytes)[/B]
Partition 3 = 35.9 GB (38,633,545,728 bytes)
Partition 4 = 109 GB (118,065,668,096)

Please note that partition 2 (in bold print) is the Windows 7 Partition. All of the above are formatted with NTFS.

I used Easeus Partition Master Home Edition to do the resizing (I probably should have used GParted). What I basically did was make partitions 1-3 smaller so that 4 can be a little larger.

Also my keyboard is PS/2, while my mouse is USB. I have a USB keyboard I could plug in, but I’m not quite sure it will make as large a difference as one might think. However, I’m [B]willing to try[/B] and get back to you later.

If there’s any more info you need, feel free to ask.

Not that I am much good with OS trouble-shooting and this is a wild guess but I would think it has something to do with those partitions, how they were created and such.
I don’t think changing to a usb keyboard will help but it won’t hurt to try.
Do you have more than one OS on this drive?

Yes, I have Windows Vista, XP (having unrelated problems), and 8 (I am planning to remove this after 7 is fixed). They are installed as follows:
Vista = Partition 1, XP = Partition 3, 8 = Partiton 4.