Problems with unknown DVD-R

I recently burned several DVD-Rs using my NEC2500a
The discs prob are not very high quality, I got a spindle of 50.

They were 4X discs, but Nero only let be go at 2X

After burning, I found out I had trouble reading. If I use Windows explorer and just browse the disc, it starts to freeze.
If I just load up the DVD and just copy everything to the drive, it seems to work fine.

I tried this disc on my other DVD drive (Toshiba), and I have the same problem.

I tried replacing the cable, but it doesnt help.

I tried the DVD on a laptop and it works fine.

Any tips?

What’s the MID of the discs you are using? http://dvdidentifier.cdfreaks.com
What does the Nero DVD Speed transfer rate test look like?

it says:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:NO_ID_PRESENT]
Disc Type : [DVD-R]
Manufacturer ID : [Not Present On Disc]
Manufacturer Name : [Unknown Manufacturer ID]
Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x , 4x] (8x Cannot Be Detected)
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]

and

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
Descriptor #1 = 2704 KBPS ( 2.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

** INFO : MODE SENSE Write Speed Descriptor(s) [Legacy Command]
Descriptor #1 = 5645 KBPS ( 4.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 4234 KBPS ( 3.06x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] - [Invalid Entry]
Descriptor #3 = 3528 KBPS ( 2.55x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] - [Invalid Entry]
Descriptor #4 = 2822 KBPS ( 2.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #5 = 1411 KBPS ( 1.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #6 = 706 KBPS ( 0.51x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV] - [Invalid Entry]
** WARNING : Drive May Have Returned Incorrect Descriptors

for CDSPEED, the green lines stays at 2x
the Yellow line goes down to 1x from 2x logrithmically

No MID code!
Definitely poor quality media, I think most drives will have trouble reading these discs.
Please avoid in the future!

ok, I will, but I don’t think this is the cause of all the problems.

when I look at nero, it still says my drive is only 2x

That is because the firmware you are using only supports these ‘unknown’ discs at 2X max!
If you use media that is capable of higher speeds, Nero will then show those speeds available.

I’ve split your post/problems into this new thread since it is not really relevant to the NEC ‘read’ problems.

but I get that even with no disc in the drive.
Like when I go to the recorder properties in nero, it says that 2x is the max speed

Nero only reports correct speeds when a disc is in the drive. For read speeds you must have a burned disc in the drive, blank for write speeds.

No reputable DVDR maker will ever release media with no MID code, you need to throw them away or return them to the store. They are your problem.

oh I see.
I just randomly bought them online.
they said “generic”
I guess I get what I pay for.

My 105v2 Beta 5 should allow you to burn them @ 4x or even higher :slight_smile:

do you have any cheap discs that you’d reccomend? Like everyone, I guess I wanna get the lowest priced discs that will work.
I’m looking through the media forum but its seperated by brand.
Is there a thread somewhere that compares all of them or ranks the or something.

I got some of these generic 4X DVD-R and haven’t had any problems with them. They are $17.50 for a 50 pack shipped free and have plain silver shiny tops. Their media code is ‘Yi Jhan 001’.

http://www.allmediaoutlet.com/allmedia/prodDetail.do?kitNbr=798

Thats interesting, because that is EXACTLY what I bought.
I got it from the same store and the item # is the same.

They work fine for me - I used DVDDecrypter to get the media code. They work in my Dell DVD-Rom & my Apex, AMW, and Cyberhome DVD players. My NEC2500A won’t read hardly anything - I just use it for burning.

I’ve got a toshiba sd-m212 or something like that. its pretty old and it also won’t read alot of stuff.

I tried it on a laptop and it works fine.

well, I shouldnt say they don’t read it.
sometimes the read it, sometimes they dont.
or it will just stop working suddenly.

actually, all this is making me wonder about something else.
I burned some dvd videos for someone.
they work on my friends player except the audio goes out of sync and the video will start skipping. if he stops and starts it again, then it works. at first I thought it had was my encoding by perhaps it is because of the disc too.
but this was using a disc with a MID, I’ll look it up again when i get home

Not everyone does that. :slight_smile: In fact, I did so. Bought a lot of “generic” DVDR and fortunately none of my gamble seriously failed.

Recently Prodisc S03 (4X -R) in US have a very good reputation, especially for 2500A users. You can find some good threads on it.
This is one of the cheapest prodisc, a while ago “d3doff” coupon worked for 3$ discount. I’m not sure now…
http://www.supermediastore.com/prodisc-4x-dvd-r-silver-47gb.html

If you really want to go for something cheaper than this… I think the risk is inevitable. (though 2500A still has a good chance writing on such “utterly crap” media.)

Well, I mostly use my dvd writer for backup. so I want to find the cheapest media I can write on and read back. The one I have now, I can write on (only 2x) but can’t read very well.

Then I guess I’d want to find some better media thats compatible with lots of readers or dvd players for instances where I need to make dvd’s to give to other people

never heard of supermedia before but the same place has 100pk -r for 29.99

*Free shipping & sale prices on select items expire 7/19/2004. Free shipping applies to select items at supermediastore.

several in the 29-40 cent range… and free shipping. anybody have a review on these guys?

http://store.yahoo.com/supermediastore/supermediacoupon.html

Be forewarned that Supermediastore is well known for shipping varrying media under the same packaging and adverts.

under the generic i hope you mean… i would have to guess that their prodisc and ricohjpn ritek stuff is all on the up and up or am i wrong?