Problems with two external NEC (lacie) 3540 drives

Gentlemen,

First I have to say a quick hello to all the NEC burning amigos. Until yesterday I always was in the Lite-on forum, where my friend Codeking lives. Yesterday a friend gave me two external LaCie drives (designed by Porsche) as a present. The drive appeared to be a NEC 3540.

Before I start reading all the threads and start using the modified firmware I have a quick question to get these babes working.

I plugged both external drives in an usb port. They are recognized, so for so good I thought. Then I started nero (7) two times and wanted to burn two dvd’s at the same time.

After a few seconds (during the lead in) one of the two burners stopped working. The other finished the burn without a problem.

Here are my questions?

1. Is it possible two have two external nec’s 3540 burning at the same time?
  2. I switched one of the burners to an usb port that is on a pci card (two firewire and three usb ports extra). But the drive isn’t recognized. Am I doing something wrong?

I tried a little search in this threads, but couldn’t find an answer. Sorry when I didn’t search long enough.

Thanks for all the help. I promise to read up in this forum when I have the babes running.

Greetings Maurice

…I plugged both external drives in an usb port. They are recognized, so for so good I thought. Then I started nero (7) two times and wanted to burn two dvd’s at the same time…
Why not just choose to burn with “multiple burners” in Nero… :confused:

USB2 bus is only ~45MB/s wide.
To start with, I don’t know at what speed you tried to burn but you have to multiply that speed with two because all subsystem (Paralell/USB/IDE) losses.

Remember, all devices connected to USB bus have to share this bandwidth. Concidering you may also have other devices connected, there just isn’t enough space in the bus for two burners burning anything higher than 8, maybe at 12x if you are lucky. :slight_smile:

BTW, when you wanna run optical drives on PCI cards you have to make sure the card is compatible for this operation. Check at manufacturer site for appropriate drivers.

maurice,
how much is gas running for you now? down to 2.31 here for premium :slight_smile:

if you are trying to burn 2 different dvds at the same time it will not work. one will fail as it’s temp file is overwritten by the other

if you are trying to duplex nero can do 2 drives at a time. they have to be the same drive so that they speed break at the same time. looks like 7 and 32 recorders are the maximum depending on your nero version

Hi gentlemen,

Thanks for the reaction. The problem is solved.

I ripped one burner out of the Porsche box and connected him as an IDE burner.
It works perfect now. there must have been a problem with the IDE to USB connectors.

This week I am going to try some modified firmware from the lady in this forum. I saw her picture in one of the threads, and decided to give her firmware a try… :wink:

Hi cnlson, how is life!

You are still driving?

:wink:

BTW It is possible to start more versions of NERO. I can burn three (different or the same) dvd’s at once at 8x (from a fast RAID) without any problem.