Problems with "The OC" box set

vbimport

Using latest versions of AnyDVD/CloneDVD2 a/o 8/12…

The box set has 7 disks…

All copy well except disk 6…

All copies (including disk 6) play in PC, but will not play either in “real DVD” player or in XBOX DVD player…

Real player is a Pioneer Laser player (plays both BIG laser discs & DVD’s… I forget the exact model number) and the XBOX is, well, you know…

I copy all 7 disks the same way; again, all clones work fine except for Disk 6…

I realize scanty info being provided by me, but I will provide answers to queries if we can reach a solution…

On the PC, the copier drive is a LITEON SOHW-1633S…

Since the other 6 disks work just fine in my Pioneer, I find it hard to believe it is media related, etc.

I have burned a couple of copies to verify the burn, and all have same issue.

Oh, another clue (maybe)… The XBOX either says “This is not a DVD” or “region code bad” on the copy… The Pioneer says “THis DVD cannot be played”…

Is it possible that something is messing up the Region code on the copy of this disk ONLY???

Thanks in advance for any clues to this mystery!

Do you have the lastest firmware in your DVD writer? Normally I would say that if the backup plays in one drive and not another, it would really indicate a media problem. What media are you using?

Can you check you have the default options selected in AnyDVD. Can you also post the exact version number of AnyDVD and CloneDVD2?

What is the problem with the disc that you say you can’t backup?

Latest firmware: YES
Media is NOT issue… Using the same media works on all other clones including the other 6 in this volume.
AnyDVD: V 5.4.1.1 (all feature removal boxes checked)
CloneDVD2: V 2.8.5.1

Problem is in the copy (please see my original post) Pioneer player says “THIS DVD NOT PLAYABLE”, XBOX says EITHER “NOT A DVD” or “REGION CODE BAD”…

Again, the other 6 disks (of the 7 in the box) copy/play fine!

Obviously, since using AnyDVD on the PC, it (copy) plays just fine, since region code is never an issue!

Ah I see - I read it as the fact that none of the discs played in your stand alone player - my appologies, you are correct - it doesn’t look like a media problem!!

@ buzz123,

Your explanation of your problem is difficult to under stand.

If I am reading your posting correctly you are stating that 6 of 7 backed up series copies that you made play correctly in all of your play back devices. Disk #6 plays in your computer play back device but fails to play in any other play back devices. Is this synopsis of your situation correct?

If the above synopsis of your situation is correct have you ensured that the original copy of series #6 DVD disk is free of any errors. If your original copy of series #6 DVD disk contains errors could be the cause of your failure to successfully make a back up copy of this particular DVD.

Suggest using DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) to check your original copy of series #6 DVD disk for errors. DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) is a free diagnostic tool that is used by numerous Forum Members to analyze DVD file structure. To check a DVD for errors is rather a simple task. Install your original copy of series #6 DVD disk in your computer DVD device. Install DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) and open the program and on the DVDInfo opening page lower left hand side point DVDInfo to the location of your computer DVD device. On the opening page top menu bar is a Magnifying Glass Icon. Click on that Icon. The CD/DVD CRC Read Error Test page appears. On the lower right side of the page is a “Start” button. Click on that button and let the program test for errors. Any Red (Bad) sectors indicate that suspect DVD disk has errors which could be the is the cause of your failure to successfully make a back up copy of this particular DVD.

If the DVDInfo error check reveals any errors please post the results.

Best Regards,
bjkg

Not quite…
The ORIGINAL of DISK 6 plays fine all over…
The COPIES of all disks EXCEPT 6 play fine all over…
The COPY of DISK 6 plays fine in PC, but NOT in Pioneer laser player, or XBOX…

I installed DVDInfo and checked original for errors… NONE
(Would not expect to find any, since a copy was made with no error indication?)

Hope this assists in better understanding the issue!
THANKS!

@ buzz123,

Ok- I understand now.

Just because a commercially produced DVD disk appears to play error fee in DVD playback devices and appears to copy error free does not mean that it was commercially produced correctly without mastering errors during the manufacturing process. That is exactly why I requested you to personally check the commercially produced original DVD for CRC read errors. That being said I do not know why your number 6 series DVD disks fails to be copied correctly.

To correct any misunderstandings please check the suspect Back Up Copy of Disk #6 for errors in DVD Info Pro. Your test/check should reveal that this Back Up Copy that fails to play Pioneer Laser Player and/or XBOX contains errors. Please confirm this fact.

Using DVDInfo Pro please check the Media Code/Manufacturer ID DVD media of ALL of the “The OC Box Set” Back Up Copies that you have made. To reveal the Media Code/Manufacturer ID of DVD Media install the Back Up Copy in your computer DVD device and open DVDInfo Pro. On the open page top menu bar click on the “Media” icon located on second from left hand side. The Media Code/Manufacture ID of the DVD Media is displayed and should look similar to “RitekG05”. If I understand you correctly all of the Media Code/Manufacture ID of the DVD Media Back Up Copies should be the same. If they are not please advise of the differences.

Also check All your commercially produced original DVDs of the “The OC Box Set” in the same manner as described above. All the data displayed in DVDInfo Pro “Media Information” page should reveal the same thing. You suggested in your original posting in this thread that there might be something different between the number #6 original DVD and the other remaining six DVDs. Checking them in DVDInfo Pro “Media Information” page should reveal any differences.

Best Regards,
bjkg

OK…
Here are the MEDIA INFO data from the ORIGINALS:

============== DISK 1
Media Information
Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Media code/Manufacturer ID N/A Pressed DVD
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name THE_O
Application id
Implementation id Daikin U.S. Comtec Lab
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 9/ 9/2004 2:03:30
Format Capacity 7.22GB(7.75GB)
Book Type DVD-ROM
Media Type DVD-ROM
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 39C410h
Layer 0 end sector 207AAFh
Linear Density 0.293um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 2
Layer Track Path direction (OTP) Opposite track path

Complete Media Code                           

============== DISK 2
Media Information
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name THE_OC_S1_D2
Application id
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 8/17/2004 20:43:44
Format Capacity 7.12GB(7.65GB)
Book Type DVD-ROM
Media Type DVD-ROM
Data area end sector 38FC25h
Layer 0 end sector 2001EFh
Number of Layers 2

Complete Media Code                           

============== DISK 3
Media Information
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name THE_OC_S1_D3
Application id
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 8/24/2004 14:55:55
Format Capacity 7.06GB(7.58GB)
Book Type DVD-ROM
Media Type DVD-ROM
Data area end sector 388167h
Layer 0 end sector 1FC7DFh
Number of Layers 2

Complete Media Code                           

============== DISK 4
Media Information
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name THE_OC_S1_D4
Application id
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 8/ 5/2004 21:44:26
Format Capacity 7.35GB(7.90GB)
Book Type DVD-ROM
Media Type DVD-ROM
Data area end sector 3AD5FEh
Layer 0 end sector 2137EFh
Number of Layers 2

Complete Media Code                           

============== DISK 5
Media Information
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name THE_OC_S1_D5
Application id
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 8/26/2004 15:16:43
Format Capacity 7.09GB(7.61GB)
Book Type DVD-ROM
Media Type DVD-ROM
Data area end sector 38BB5Fh
Layer 0 end sector 1FE7CFh
Number of Layers 2

Complete Media Code                           

============== DISK 6
Media Information
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name THE_O
Application id
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 8/10/2004 0:57:32
Format Capacity 7.32GB(7.86GB)
Book Type DVD-ROM
Media Type DVD-ROM
Data area end sector 3A8930h
Layer 0 end sector 218DBFh
Number of Layers 2

Complete Media Code                           

============== DISK 7
Media Information
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name THE_O
Application id
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 9/ 2/2004 2:15:59
Format Capacity 7.47GB(8.03GB)
Book Type DVD-ROM
Media Type DVD-ROM
Data area end sector 3BCC18h
Layer 0 end sector 21F32Fh
Number of Layers 2

Complete Media Code                           

===================

As you can see, aside from the VOLID, date/time stamp and ending Sector info all are identical…
Interestingly, when I re-did this with AnyDVD TURNED OFF, the results were the same, except that the Disk Regions showed only 1-4 instead of 1-8…

Here is the relevant output from DISK 6 of the copy:

=====================
============== DISK 1
============== DISK 2
============== DISK 3
============== DISK 4
============== DISK 5
============== DISK 6
Media Information
Media code/Manufacturer ID AML
Format Type UDF 1.02
Volume Name THE_OCS1_D6
Application id ELBY CLONEDVD
Implementation id ELABORATE BYTES
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 8/12/2005 5:26:49
Format Capacity 4.36GB(4.69GB)
Book Type DVD-R
Media Type DVD-R
Manufacturer Rated Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Write Strategy Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
2x Speed OPC beta 0B
2x Speed OPC power 10
2x Write Strategy field 1 11 87 78 80
2x Write Strategy field 2 88 80 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta 06
4x Speed OPC power 17
4x Write Strategy field 1 0D 0F 0B 0B
4x Write Strategy field 2 98 08 0F 0B
4x Write Strategy field 3 00 00 00 00
4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse 06
4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse 1C
4x Write Strategy field 4 13 A8 88 65
4x Write Strategy field 5 98 9A 88 80 00 00
4x Write Strategy field 6 00 00 D0 00 00
Data area end sector 22EAAFh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Number of Layers 1

Complete Media Code                           

00000000 00 6C 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 87 0E 15 .l…@…R…
00000010 98 9A 90 00 03 41 4D 4C 00 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 …AML…
00000020 00 00 00 00 05 CC C0 00 00 00 01 00 06 0B 10 11 …

============== DISK 7

Also, no significant differences in the other copied disks…

Still a mystery!

bjkg…hi…off topic…but in regards to dvdinfo pro…

i have installed it…but i get a popup box that says…file association repair…

this program should be associated with the ‘.dip’ extension. do you want this repaired? (recommended)…

click yes or no button

also has option to check…don not show this message again…

wondering what this is? do i need this repair?..don’t want to mess anything up on the computer…

@buzz123 - yep this is a strange one - why is disc 6 different from all the others? The fact that the copy plays in your PC would suggest that AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 have doen their job perfectly. But why will all the other discs play on the stand alone but not disc 6??? I am honestly a bit stumped on this one. Do you have any other copying software? It might be worth trying with another copy program to see if that works. (I wouldn’t normally recommened someone to not use CloneDVD2 as I have never had a problem with it, and you have paid for it, so it should work!!)

Maybe give something like 1-click dvd copy a try (you get 3 free trials with it) - just to see what happens???

never mind…after i posted this question i did a google on this…a .dip extention is related to a graphics file…

Actually, I had the same symptom using DVDXCopy (Studio 123) and got the Elby/Slysoft software as a 2nd shot at solving this issue!

This is more of a “why is this happening?” issue than anything else at this point, since there is obviously some issue with the disk that is befuddling more than 1 copier program!

I am curious now if anyone else has seen this issue with this (or any other) source material?

This is God’s way of telling you that you shouldn’t watch “The OC”.

Actually, I agree… Unfortunately, my teenage daughter doesn’t!

Hehehehe - nice one Gurm!!

Just a thought, maybe try Nero Recode using the remake DVD option - I know that way it totally redoes the DVD structure - probably won’t make a bit of difference though. I think this is normally where a well timed comment from Olli works a treat - I guess he is on holiday or something at the moment, he hasn’t posted in ages.

@ buzz123

In viewing the information you have provided I have absolutely no idea as to why series disk#6 fails to be successfully copied.

DVDInfo Pro is just one diagnostic tool. If you desire to continue to investigate suggest using Nero CD-DVD Speed (http://www.cdspeed2000.com) to check for mastering errors that might be on your commercial original copy of “The OC Box Set” disk #6. It could be that the particular suspect #6 DVD disk contains subtle errors that DVDInfo Pro could not detect but that the more sensitive Nero CD-DVD Speed might be able to detect. Below is a Forum Link that depicts in detail exactly how to use Nero CD-DVD Speed to check for mastering errors.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/attachment...tid=38531&stc=1

Best Regards,
bjkg

Thanks again…

The link posted was bad… You probably copied it from another post that had a bad link as well… You need to get the proper reference to copy/paste instead of the text portion (which is usually truncated!)…

In any case, I downloaded Nero CD-DVD speed and it appears to do little more than DVDInfo (checks for bad sectors, etc.)… Not sure if the mastering errors are detected until I can check the reference to see how to do this properly…