Problems With Sony CRX140e

vbimport

HELP!!
I am currently trying to use CloneCD v2843 with my Sony CRX140e and whenever I try reading subchannel data/audio it says it is uncompatible.
Here is the strange bit even when I turn these options of it says that my burner doesnt support CloneCD’s “normal read” option either.

I have updated the burner with the latest firmware but still no go.

any ideas as I getting pissed off as CloneCD should support my burner for reading and writing.

???

try using an earlier bios of your cdrdrive

You mean “FirmWare” :wink: Which you can find at your writers homepage…

yeah, that was what i meant

Thanks for the reply but I have already tried to use CloneCD with both the “as supplied” burner firmware and the updated version.
CloneCD’s help and Coaster Factory “http://www.ping.be/” page even suggest updating to the latest version for compatibility.

Anymore ideas?..anybody?

A weird problem since I had a Sony CRX120 myself which worked fine… What exactly is the problem? You cannot use CloneCD at all? Are you sure you’re using version 2.8.4.3? What other software are you using?

I know that’s a lot of questions but I don’t know what’s causing the problem. It could be some software conflict or something completely different :confused:

Grtz

The problem isn’t that simple to explain but when I try to copy a non-original dreamcast cd I was told (friend)you may have to use “subchannel data” settings in CloneCD because of the disk format, which I did but the program kept telling me that it was not able to perform “subchannel read”. So then I changed the settings for no subchannel but I was then told that my burner doesn’t support CloneCD’s “normal read” function.
I have tried the lastest Diskjuggler on the same DC CD without success hence the reason for trying CloneCD.

I have used CloneCD to copy PC data disks (no subchannel) without any problems (no CloneCD messages) which is very strange.

Yes I am using the latest CloneCD version.

Are there any setting on CloneCD I should be using when copying Dreamcast?

Are you trying to copy orginal DC games? Well here’s your problem: THAT CANNOT BE DONE and there are 2 reasons for that:

1. DC games have up to 1GB information on the disc and wil not fit on a normal CD-R.
  2. The DC data on the second track cannot be read by any software.

Only real cracking groups like Utopia can crack/rip DC games! Thet leave out some of the music or video to make the image smaller. You can try to download games. They are usually in DCI format which then can be burned with DiscJuggler…

I think the person who told you to copy it using he SubChannel Data setting was confused with PlayStation Discs. These need the SubChannel Data, but your burner indeed cannot read them in 96 bytes mode, which is needed for PSX games.

Greets :slight_smile:

You may have missed by comment about trying to copy a"Non-original Dreamcast"
I understand the difference and inability to copy GROMS. :wink:

As for the friend, no he wasn’t wrong about copying some DC disks as there are some around that are very hard to copy using Diskjuggler…etc So this is when he reverts to CloneCD (read and Write RAW). I may be mistaken that this means “Subchannel data”.

Can CloneCD read and write RAW without switching on “Subchannel Data”?

As for your last comment about my burner not being able to read 96 Byte mode, thought it can according to CloneCD Help file and Coaster Factory.

Are they mistaken?

Sorry didn’t see that comment :o

CloneCD always uses RAW, the SubChannel Data are just extra and have nothing to do with RAW or not RAW compatible. Your burner can do RAW but noy when reading SubChannel Data reading is enabled. It can read SubChannel Data but there are 2 kinds of SubChannel Data: 16 and 96 bytes version. The 16 bytes version is used for SecuROM protected discs in which a digital ID is stored and for CD-text. Your burner can do that. But the 96 bytes SubChannel Data is used for PlayStation discs and your writer doesn’t support this. An example of drives that do is the PlexWriters.

So to answer your question “Can CloneCD write RAW without reading the Subs”: YES because these are two different things.

Hope I’ve informed you enough! If not keep asking :wink:

The following information was taken straight from the Coaster Factory web site for Sony CRX140E(http://www.ping.be/satcp/writer02.shtml)
DAO-RAW (2352 bytes Raw + 16 bytes / 96 bytes Subchannel)

Doesn’t this mean that my burner can do both versions of 16 and 96 byte subchannel?
Check it out and see if i’m reading the right information.

If this info is correct you shouldn’t have a problem. I had a 120CRX and it didn;t work with the 96 bytes so therefore I assumed the 140CRX also can’t do it.

Try to set the reading and writing speed of CloneCD to very low like 4X. I think CloneCD can only do it at a very low speed…

Greets

@ G@M3FR3@K

Thanx again for the info…I would hope that the website’s info is correct but your reasoning sounds equally valid.

I will try the speed change.

Cheers

I did a little test with my old burner: and indeed it CAN do the 96 bytes of SubChannel Data but only at a really low reading and wrting speed. This is because with these burners, SubChannel Data reading relies on an ‘error’ in its firmware since normally it isn’t possible. CloneCD has a workaround for this but, again, it’ll only work at low speeds.

You mention a test done at low speeds to determine if the 96 bytes subchannel can be done. Could you please give me some details on how to perform this test myself.

Thanx

You can see if your burner supports 96 bytes of RAW when you can tick the option “Don’t Reapir SubChannel Data” in the writing tab. This option can only be enabled if your burner supports the 96 version. So this is ok, but I read on the CloneCD site that although it can be done, the result will only be reliable if a low (1-2) reading speed is used :frowning:

Reading Subchannel Data from Data Tracks with Sony CD-Writers CR-X120E, CR-X140E/S, CR-X145E/S, CR.X160E, Hewlett Packard CD-Writers 8200i, 8210i, 9100i, 9110i, 9200i, 9210i, 9300i, 9310i, 9500i will always enable Fast Error Skip, too. You might need to reduce the read speed for reliable results!

I would suggest a reading speed of 1 to 2X to be sure but you could always try a higher one like 4X. It’s up to you.

cheers
Will give it a go

MY SONY CRX 140E SUPPORTS RAW DAO 96. TO COPY SD2 USE CLONE 2.X.X.X OR HIGHER. SET READ 4X, NO ERROR CORRECTION, 3 RETRIES, FAST ERROR SKIP,AND INTELLIGENT BAD SECTOR SCAN. I HAVE BACKED UP ANY SD2 GAME AND IT WILL PLAY ON ANY DRIVE. TRY DOWNLOADING CLONE 3 AND USE HELP TO FIND YOUR DRIVE AND CAPABILITIES.

great info