Problems with Plextor 708 A

Hi everybody!
I hope someone can help me in this forum.
While using nero to burn a dvd+R,4X(Platinum) the burning stops somewhere during the process of burning.The ‘Reading Buffer’(‘german:Lesepuffer’) drops from 100% to 0 % and then the burning fails.I killed numerous blanc DVDs, without solving the problem.
My System:
Intel Pentium 4;2.53GHz
512 MB DDR Ram
I am using a Raid IDE Controller for the Plextor only.Another DVD and the harddrive are on the onboard ide controller.

Hi Carlito, welcome to the forum.

Have you tried running the PX-708A from your onboard IDE controller? It’s recommended to run the drive as MASTER from the second IDE port. Your problem could be related to the controller it is now running from and so, before we start investigating, you need to check if the RAID controller is the problem or not. Please report back!

Hi!
I already had it on the on-board controller,but it didn’t work out at all.While the ‘Reading-Buffer’(‘german:Lesepuffer’) was ok, the other buffer was jumping from 84% to 20% and back, so that burning took about 40 minutes.Using the raid-controller DVD-R,4X worked out fine, and DVD+R,4X at first too, but then the problems,I described before ,started:confused:

two of those words stood out to me: “nero” and “dvd+r”.

i read many posts on this forum about the 708a before deciding to buy one, and many of them dealt with the fact that the 708a does not get along with nero. however, from what i can tell, that problem is usually that nero cannot close the session and says that the disc is bad, when really other software can still close the session or burn entire discs okay.

therefore, i would recommand first trying to use cdrwin 3.9e (trial version) to close the session. to do that, you could click the “file backup and tools” button and select from the dropdown box at the top, “finalize a session or disc” and run it on one of those bad dvds.

if that doesnt work, i’d try seeing if another program, such as the trial version of cdrwin 3.9e (i hate to plug one program so much, but it works) can write a full disc.

on a related note, i would recommend you NOT test the full write on a dvd+r if possible. use “simulation” mode when writing, to see if the drive can at least get through it, and then try the full write on a dvd+rw, so you can erase it and try again if it goes bad. only if those two succeed should you try a dvd+r again. that may cut down on useless discs if the write fails on either of those two.

Thanks for the help.I will try cdrwin and see how it works.As it comes to simulating a burning session, I gotta say, that it is not possible.The simulation button is turned off.Maybe it is not possible with that kind of dvd(Platinum4X)
Carlito

really? that’s odd. i know the drive supports simulations because alcohol 120% was able to do one for me (though i was writing to a dvd-r). maybe nero just doesnt like simulating dvd burns, so probably cdrwin or alcohol, whichever you try a full burn with, will allow you to do that. if those programs do not allow it, i can’t imagine what the problem may be, but perhaps plextor tech support will.

I think it’s DVD+R/RW that doesn’t support simulation.
I tried with plextools and no go.
When tere is a + medi no simulation for write speed.
For dvd-r no probelm.
Maybe another thing to do:
Create an iso with any burning software and burn it with plextools.
If you fail you’ve got another problem (ie not software related).

Corrodias wrote:

i read many posts on this forum about the 708a before deciding to buy one, and many of them dealt with the fact that the 708a does not get along with nero. however, from what i can tell, that problem is usually that nero cannot close the session and says that the disc is bad, when really other software can still close the session or burn entire discs okay

I use Nero version 5.5.10.42 and have no problems with closing the session. I burn DVD+R 4 SPEED IMATION @ 8x and they play fine on my standalone dvd players. Also use DVD-R cheap PRINCO 1x burns @ 2x speed and they play fine. :bigsmile:

Carlito>>>>What version of Nero were you using? Brand of media you used? It’s not only software but brand of media that could determine whether or not you burn a dvd successfully.