Problems with Plextor 24x

vbimport

#1

I just got mz new plextor 24x burner. And I must saz I’m not very pleased yet.
Whenever I try brning an audio cd at 16x or higher I get a buffer underrun right after the lead in.
Udma 33 is activated on the burner and hard-drive, and i get an average speed of 25mb/sec from the partitation I burn from.
I’ts a pretty new ibm drive…
I also tried defragmenting but that didn help either.
Oh yeah, and feurio shows only 2338k as the recorder buffer,
isn’t the plex supposed to have 4mb.
It has the tla#0101 and the prolem appears with both firmware 1.01 and 1.02, and both with nero and feurio.
It’s as if the drive is busted somehow…
Cause 12x works fine… and I have enough data throughput for burning 24x. I even have overkill.

Can anybody help me? I’m thankfull for any comment.


#2

The speed of your computer also cuases buffer problems. The slower the MHZ, the slower you will have to burn.

Example: a PentiumPro 200 cannot burn any faster than 8X reliabily. Hell, it can’t burn 8x consistantly. It doesn’t have burn-proof but you get my point.


#3

Well that sucks…
I have a P3 500…
I used to burn 8 speed on a 200… those were the days… when plex made scsi drives…

IDE sucks as*!

I bet if the drive were scsi I could burn easily


#4

Do your cds support 16x or higher? If not, then that it why you are having problems


#5

For those interested…
After trying all those things mentioned in my first post…
I decided to try the drive in different computers…

First in another p3 500 with windows me… In which I had exactly the same problem.

Then in my freinds pc: p3 750 and scsi hd windows 2000…
It was even worse, he couln’t even burn 12x…

He mentioned a freind of his having the same problem, and it disappearing after upgrading to windows xp…

I don’t have win xp so I dug out my old win98 se… and guess what… burning 16x worked like a charm, exept that in win98 a lot more recources were used…lol

I’m upgrading to win xp soon, so then I can test further… but at least I know (think) my drive is not busted and I don’t have to call plextor…

What conclusion I draw from this: Never trust Microsoft
(as if we all don’t know that yet)

PS: I still don’t know exatly what caused this exept somthing to do with windows 2000 and me.