Problems with Pioneer 215DSV connected via IDE-SATA adapter

vbimport

I recently purchased a Pioneer DVR 216D (albeit it could be a 216DSV or even a 215DSV !) but never realised it had SATA connections and I only had IDE cabling !

I rushed out and purchased a DYNAMODE IDEtoSATA adapter from PC World and a power adapter from Maplins too. I’ve fitted the adapter to the motherboard IDE slot that previously carried the cabling to my old drive, and also connected a power supply to it using the cable provided. I then plugged the SATA data cable to the drive along with a power cable using the power adapter cable from Maplins.

The drive works, lights up, opens and closes but otherwise does little else. Device Manager shows the drive as “working properly” but strangely doesn’t list it as “Pioneer DVR xx” but as “FKP 7KTQ30927GD SCSI CdRom Device” … not sure if that indicates anything !

My Computer shows the drive as “DVD Drive ( F: )”.

If I place a CD or DVD in the drive, it does nothing and appears not to read it - have tried several CDs and DVDs.

I have tried updating firmware as the firmware is old but it claims not to be able to find the device. I have uninstalled the driver and rebooted but no change.

I did note in Device Manager that no region was assigned to the drive - not sure if that was right or wrong. I tried to apply “United Kingdom” (Region 2) but it said it couldn’t apply change.

I’m completely stuck now and really need some help !!!

[QUOTE=Paul33;2621301]I recently purchased a Pioneer DVR 216D (albeit it could be a 216DSV or even a 215DSV !) but never realised it had SATA connections and I only had IDE cabling ![/quote]…SV denotes a sliver painted frontplate, IIRC.
Also, 2xx drives are Sata, if you want IDE (Pata), then you want a 1xx series drive.

I rushed out and purchased a DYNAMODE IDEtoSATA adapter (…)
The drive works, lights up, opens and closes but otherwise does little else. Device Manager shows the drive as “working properly” but strangely doesn’t list it as “Pioneer DVR xx” but as “FKP 7KTQ30927GD SCSI CdRom Device” … not sure if that indicates anything !

You happen to have some virtual drive software installed? Daemon Tools or similar? Then you see that drive, not your Pioneer unit.

Well, these IDE/Sata adapters are mainly made and tested for HDDs, not optical drives. That said, there might be combinations of IDE controller, drive and adapter that might not work. My personal suggestion is still installing a PCI Sata Controller card, preferably with Silicon Image 3114, 3112 or 3512 chipset. Non-Raid or flashable versions are even better :wink:

I’m completely stuck now and really need some help !!!
Can you boot a bootable CD or DVD from that drive? Or is there an opportunity to try the drive with another computer?

Michael

So basically, I’m better off getting rid of the drive and buying an IDE version !

Not sure - these Pioneers have an excellent reputaion. Perhaps spending 15 Euros for a controller card isn’t the worst idea. But YMMV.

Michael

Another option would be buying a 5.25" SATA to USB enclosure. These tend to be on the pricier side, as opposed to the more popular 3.5"/2.5" ones for hard drives – eBay does have some for about £15 which is probably a bit cheaper than getting them at Pissy World. :slight_smile:

As I’m not a fan of opening a PC chassis, my place is full of enclosures :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Paul33;2621301]I recently purchased a Pioneer DVR 216D (albeit it could be a 216DSV or even a 215DSV !) but never realised it had SATA connections and I only had IDE cabling !
[/QUOTE]

A 215 cannot be a 216 and vice versa!

You were lucky not able to flash the drive because it would get worse with an non-proper-working drive…