Problems with new hp dvd burner

vbimport

every time I’ve tried to burn a dvd, my computer restarts once it gets to the transcoding process. I don’t recieve any error messages or warnings, it simply restarts on me. the burner has no problems burning music cd’s or data cd’s, but even after the firmware update from just last month or so, it restarts when I try to create a dvd. I just bought this burner 3 days ago, before that I was just using cd-rw drives. with the cd-rw drives, I could burn music cd’s fine, but not data cd’s. whenever I tried to burn a data cd, my pc would restart unexpectedly. at least now I can burn data cd’s, but no luck with dvd’s yet. I’ve tried burning different sizes and lengths of video. I’ve also read about changing transfer modes on the ide channels from dma to pio and have tried that as well. now, my primary ide channel says the current transfer mode is ultra dma mode 5, and the secondary ide channel is on ultra dma mode 2. I don’t know if that’s a problem or not, but there’s nothing I can do to change them anyway. the hp dvd writer is the dvd + r/rw 300vi 4x burner. software I’m using is arcsoft showbiz dvd (came with the burner). pc specs: amd athlon 1.2 ghz processor, 512 mb ram, geforce fx5200. any help/comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.