Problems with NEC ND-2510A

I’ve bought NEC DVD-RW ND-2510A two days ago. Before that my computer worked without a problem. Now with NEC ND-2510A, I have a few problems I can’t solve:

First here is my computer configuration:
Nero 6.3.1.6
Mainboard: Matsonic MS8147CR Via chipset onboard SB and LAN
Procesor: AMD 1600+ XP
512 RAM 266Mhz DDR
WD 80 GB HDD
Nvidia G-force 2 64 MB
Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1612
I also had TEAC CD-RW, but i replace it with NEC DVD-RW ND-2510A and from there on the problems started.

I can normaly record DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs, I can’t record CD-Rs and CD-RWs, but after I record something, neither DVD recorder or DVD ROM will read it. If I leave the recorded in the DVD recorder and reboot, that it will read recorded DVD, but not always. Stand alone component, a Yamaha DVD player reads all recorded DVDs normally.

This is what I tried already:

1. Reinstaling OS
  2. I got 80 wire Ultra DMA cable for NEC DVD-RW ND-2510A (Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1612 is on the same cable) Should I disconect DVD-ROM and plug it on the same cable with HDD?
  3. I changed Master and slave settings (ND-2510A is curently master).

I have no idea what else I can do. I’m in desperate need of help.

Thank You!

Check if you install proper driver for your VIA chipset.

Try to disconnect the DVD reader. Connect ND-2510 to the end of the cable, not the middle connection (set as master).
If still no help - try ordinary 40pins cable - it works just fine - the ND-2510 is an ATA-33 device. It doesn’t need ATA-100 cable.

Try to upgrade (downgrade) your NERO version. Particulary this version has many bugs. Check if is possible to upgrade your ASPI driver. Uninstall every CD/DVD writing programs, except NERO. It could be a crash between different CD recording programs.

In the end: try the device in another computer, if you have access to one.

Tnx DVD Boost, I’ll try that.

DVD Boost, I tried everything what u told me to do, except put the device in another computer, coz i don’t have access to one at the moment, but nothig worked, I still have the same problems. :frowning:

If your Yamaha reads everithing then the record is OK and you don’t have to blame the ND-2510 for that. Basicly 2510 is not good reader - I found this in many other threads. Personally, I do not have any problem with the same device.

I would try everithing from now on with only ND-2510 connected to the second IDE port.

I wonder: Did you install Windows on an empty formated hard disc or you just reinstall it over. It’s good idea to try from the beginning, because old drivers and registry settings in Windows doesn’t change when you reinstall.

It seems like SW problem for me. I would try recording CD under DOS. I’m a little bit carefull to use this word (DOS) because a lot of people here reacts on it as poison. Anyway, an application like Norton Ghost (version 2003 or later), for example, will give you a chance to back up on CD/DVD so you can see what’s really happen with your drive.
I do not want to discurrage you, but it can also be a HW problem with the device :frowning: .

The one thing that bothers me the most is that if I leave the DVD in the device and then I reboot the computer, then ND-2510 reads the DVD, but if I change the DVD it won’t read it. And second, THOSIBA DVD-ROM read all the DVDs and CDs with no problem at all, but when I took out TEAC CD-RW and put in the ND-2510, it stopped reading any DVDs or CDs, even the ones that it read before. I don’t know, this is bugging me for two days now and it really pissed me of, coz right before I bought the damn ND-2510, I was asking in forums which DVD recorder to buy and everybody told me to buy ND-2510, coz it is a superb recorder and there is no problem with it. I guess I got f***ed.
And that’s another problem, coz I and nobody else know if it is a SW or HW problem. If it’s a HW problem, I’ll just go to the store and they will replace the ND-2510 unless I busted something on the Mainboard (maybe IDE port) when I put the ND-2510 in.
One more thing, my mainboard is about 2 years old, is there any chance that the mainboard and the ND-2510 are incompatible??? But if so, that still doesn’t explain why the DVD-ROM doesn’t read all the CDs and DVDs that it used to.
I got the ND-2510 on second IDE port alone, just you said and I formated the entire HDD before reinstaling the Windows and I got the same results.

Tnx for your help anyway DVD Boost.

Hi,

I have the same problem with the same device, and as soon as I figure out how to fix it I’ll post a reply. :wink:

I had this same problem a while back, not with an NEC drive a Plextor, i even sent it back for replacement. The replacement did the same thing, in my case the problem was i had overclocked the system by increasing the FSB (front side bus) on some older m/boards increasing the front side bus also meant you were increasing the speed the PCI bus run at from 33MHz to 37Mhz in my case, that was enough to cause the problem.

One other thing you could check. Are you running Via IDE drivers? Most likely installed from the CD that came with your m/board. If so, you could try removing them and trying the Microsoft ones supplied with XP.

PS IS there a BIOS update available for your m/board?

Well, the problem seems to have solved itself. I’m no longer having any trouble with my NEC ND-2510A. Works like a charm.
Sorry, I won’t be able to tell you how to fix your problem now.
The best of luck.

I am also having same problem. DVD recording is fine, but not CD recording.