Problems with NEC 2500a and PCI Controller

vbimport

I recently hooked my NEC 2500a DVD writer up to a promise ultra66 pci controller and I’ve had nothing but problems with it. DVD Decrypter hangs on “getting book type” when ever I select the NEC (but works fine with my other 2 optical drives).

Also when I try to burn with the drive using Nero it has buffer underun issues if I select any speed over 2.4x. The weird thing is when I do a transfer rate test using a data DVD and Nero tool kit the drive is able to read at up to 8x. but running Nero infotool cause the whole systemt to reboot.

At first I thought DMA was not enabled but it clearly states that it is on bootup. I’ve tried everything I can think of, I’ve updated both the bios and the drivers of the controller card, I’ve even installed Adaptec winaspi but nothing seems to make a difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

my sys:
Athlon 64 3000+
MSI neo 2 plat.
1GB Ram
Winxp Sp2

Look here. It’s under the General Hardware forum, IDE Controllers thread.

Well that sucks. Does anyone here have any personal experience with this drive and a PCI controller that fully works, if so please let me know the make and model.

I use a Silicon Image SIL 0680 ATA/133 controller. Fantastic. Never had any luck with Promise controllers and optical drives, but the Highpoint Rocket100 works quite well in my spare computer.

Thanks for the input

I also have Silicon Image ATA 133 (RAID) controller… but my Nec and Philips are recognised as PRE-ATA 2 so no UDMA 2… LG is recognise properly however. Mender… had you any problems like this ?

There is a problem with all RAID cards. Unfortunately, RAID controllers are not really compatible with optical drives. My SIL card does not have the raid BIOS. If you flash your SIL card with the non-RAID BIOS, it will work fine with optical drives :slight_smile:

Do you have a link to the appropriate Bios and Flasher? Thank in advance

it took me a while to figure out not all controllers are ATAPI compat. :frowning:

The flashing utility: http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/SiI0680A_updflash_util.ZIP

The non-raid BIOS can be grabbed from ftp://www.siig.com/SC-PE4B12_BIOS_v3093.exe

Flashing instructions:

Note:

The version for this BIOS update is 3093. The UltraATA 133 PCI controller you have installed should already have this version of BIOS.

During boot up, the BIOS and the version number for the UltraATA 133 PCI controller should be displayed on the screen. In some systems, you have to configure Rapid Boot or Quick Boot to Disabled in order for the BIOS to be displayed.

Download SC-PE4B12_BIOS_v3093.exe.

After download, double-click on SC-PE4B12_BIOS_v3093.exe to extract the BIOS files onto a floppy disk.

Disconnect all IDE drives from the UltraATA 133 PCI controller.

Boot up the system with a MS-DOS disk or Windows 95/98/ME/XP Startup Disk.

Insert the floppy disk with the BIOS files.

At the A: prompt, type

updflash b3093.bin

Press Enter.

Shut down the system and connect the IDE drives.

I have a SIL 3114 and UPDFLASH does not appear to flash b5216 which is the latest non-raid bios for Win XP x64bit. SIL customer support does not have a clue.

Help anyone?

Thanks,
Steve