Problems with my LG WH10LS30

vbimport

OK, so I tried to burn my first BD-R today and after creating an image file with imgburn i opened Nero DiscSpeed, set 4x recording speed (I am using Verbatim 4x BD-R inorganic).

To my surprise it started burning at 1.8x and stayed there, the buffer was locked at 50% and the drive stopped burning at about 3GB out of the 23GB image. :frowning:

Then I try to do a transfer rate test with a perfectly readable DVD-R and the test hangs up at about 2/3 of the way.

Then I try to create an image of a DVD-video in Imgburn and the process hangs up at 29%. I force the Imgburn to shut down and now my drive is locked, it won’t eject the disc…

I have a feeling that my drive is toast and I need to RMA it. Is there anything else I can try before returning it? Could there be a conflict with my other burner?

Thanks.

For nero disc speed you need to go into file>options>transfer rate and enable streaming, otherwise the drive will verify what is burning, and you will get slow speeds, plus i prefer to use imgburn to burn all my disks.

You can try another sata port or another cable, if that fails you might want to try it in another pc, and if all this fails then you can RMA the drive and get a new drive…

I have used mine with onboard intel sata and a PCI-sata card without any problems. Does a burst rate test give you a reasonable result, 30MB/sec+ ? As you suggested, certainly worthwhile to test it with your other drive disabled and check your bios settings for the LG’s sata channel, as well as any trouble flags or sata settings in device manager. What chipset and Windows version are you using?

I tried a different SATA power and data cable, different SATA port and the drive was still behaving strangely. It did burn a couple of discs successfully - a DVD+RW and a BD-R but it hung up during other burns, transfer rate tests or when verifying data after a burn.

So I RMA’d it and will probably be getting a replacement of the same model. I was thinking of getting a Lite-On instead, but despite my problems the LG seems like a better choice.

[QUOTE=Thrasher;2542591]I tried a different SATA power and data cable, different SATA port and the drive was still behaving strangely. It did burn a couple of discs successfully - a DVD+RW and a BD-R but it hung up during other burns, transfer rate tests or when verifying data after a burn.

So I RMA’d it and will probably be getting a replacement of the same model. I was thinking of getting a Lite-On instead, but despite my problems the LG seems like a better choice.[/QUOTE]
Sorry to hear that. You didn’t mention if the drive seemed to report a healthy burst rate? And of course, a freshly defragged hard drive helps to provide the increased read rate required for BD-R writing. Never hurts to test your HD’s random read rate with something like HDtune to prepare for successful BD-R writing. Hope it was just a weak drive. If it proves to be a compatibility problem with your onboard sata, it has worked well with a SiI3114 sata pci card for me.

No, defragmentation should not be the issue, since I formatted my HDD and installed Windows 7 64-bit a month ago. The burning speed were later fine with DVD and the BD-R I managed to burn. I took about 23 minutes at 4x just like it should.
The streaming option seemed to resolve the slow burning speed with Nero Disc Speed.

I got an RMA replacement and I’m still having the very same issue. I uninstalled Nero and Cyberlink and it’s still doing it when verifying data in ImgBurn .

:clap::iagree:

Problem solved !!! I did get a PCI Sata card (Vantec Silicon Images Sil 3114) controller and now everything seems to be working just fine.
:bow:

Must have been my crappy nVidia motherboard chipset. :rolleyes:

:clap::clap::bigsmile:

Excellent. I have two of the channels on my 3114 cards hooked to an esata back panel plate on a few of my computers(search “sata esata bracket” at e-bay), and the card has always recognized and worked well with all the sata or esata ODD’s and HD’s I plug into it. Not hot-swappable, but a very handy and inexpensive expansion route. Just in case you find a need for an extra esata port :D.