Problems with my dvd burner

Hi, I have this burner:
_NEC DVD±RW ND-3450A

I cant get it to read that theres a blank dvd in the drive. Every burning program I use says to insert a blank dvd. Ive tried several new blank dvds and none work. It just pops up saying to insert one. The burner reads cds and plays movies but doesnt seem to operate the burner portion of the hardware. Ive looked inside the case and everything seems to be plugged in. Any help would be useful thanx.

Which programs have you tried to burn with? What is the error message? What brand of media are you trying?

I’m responding to this post because I seem to be having the same problem.

I just purchased an NEC ND-3550A 16X DVD Burner, and I’m having trouble copying data files from my computer onto a DVD. I’m using Ridata Double Layer DVD-R DVDs to back up my Ipod files onto a DVD. I’ve tried using Nero 6 and Sonic DigitalMedia LE v7, and I get the following errors:

Nero 6

Continues to show a window that states, “DVD_RW ND-3550A: Waiting For Disc.” And when I place a blank Ridata Dbl Layer DVD-R into the drive it states, “Cannot write multisession on this disc.” I’ve tried using other blank DVDs, and it still doesn’t work.

Sonic DigitalMedia LE v7

When I using Sonic Digital Media, it runs for approximately 2 seconds, and stops… showing the following error:

Sense: 05 ASC: 30 ASCQ: 05 (Command 2A)

Px.dll: 2.2.45.500
pxdrv.dll: 1.1.36.0
PxMas.dll: 2.2.45.500
PxSFS.DLL: 2.2.45.500
PxWave.dll: 2.2.45.500
pxwma.dll: 1.0.0.3

I’m using a Dell Dimension 4700. DVDs do work on the drive, and I’ve checked and have correctly coded the drive as a “slave” drive.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Do you have ANYDVD, or any DVD player software which checks the drive for the content?

These can “lock” a drive & not allow access to the disc temporarily.

I have installed DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink 3.2 onto my computer, however I do not have ANYDVD. Is there any other program besides ANYDVD that may lock a drive?

Check and make sure that you don’t have Sonic DLA or Nero’s INCD installed on your drive. If so, uninstall them. Make sure you have the current bios, and chipset drivers installed.

And check the CloneCD prefs in case CloneCD is installed.
Also disable all virtual drives.

Great advice!
Also check your settings in device manager!
The 3450 is the Dell version of the 3500 and a fine drive! Liggy has a rip locked removed FW for this drive! Do not try to make it a 3500. It can be done, but you may lose the ability to write in some formats!

DVD43, creative disc detective, nero autodetect, anything by adaptec/roxio, windows XP autostart, windvd remote …

The list goes on forever. They may not “lock” the drive, but even just bombard the drive with requests which “lock-out” other programs temporarily.

Please explain which burning programs you have installed.
Also any CD/DVD players or utilities, antivirus, etc.
Have you disabled the imapi burning services in windows services.
Aka Right click “My computer” -> Manage -> Services & Apps -> Services ->
Find “Imapi CD burning service”
Right click on it & select properties -> Startup type->disabled.

Fingers crossed :wink:

Well! How is going man? LOL

Sorry… now my internet connection is down (when it rains it pours)… so I wasn’t able to read all of your comments until this morning at work. I will print these suggestions, and hopefully update you all by this evening.

I really appreciate everyone’s help.