Problems with MCC 003 00h

vbimport

Hi, just want to know if anyone has experienced the poor burn quality on this media:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MCC-003-000]

Disc Type : [DVD+R]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC]
Media Type ID : [003]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [2.4x - 4x - 8x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

and in DVDInfo Pro:
Media Information
Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Media code/Manufacturer ID MCC 003
Media Product Revision Number 00h
Volume Name ********
Application id
Implementation id AHEAD Nero
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 5/13/2004 15:46:49
Format Capacity 4.36GB(4.68GB)
Book Type DVD+R
Media Type DVD+R
Media Id Code Speed 8.0x 11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 6.0x 8310KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 22E21Fh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

I am getting these Kprobe results (see attached files)!

Can anyone give me some insight here?
Thanks for your response

Looks like you got a bad batch!
Any other burners that you can test this media on?

wesociety,
Thanks for your response, unfortunately(?) I only have the 812S & the 2500A to test on. I KProbed 5 disks from the same 50 pack spindle, 2 from the top (before I ran the Kprobe’s), one from 1/3rd down, one from 1/2 down, & the last from 2/3rd’s through the spindle. They all tested the same.
Disappointing! I thought this was good media. I am amazed that it could be so bad?
As a side-note, I did burn a Ricohjpnr02 with same video file, in the middle of testing this media, and the burn was fine, so it is not my drives or configuration.
What would cause such poor quality in highly recommended media?
Any thoughts?

@dishinit, do you have the “made in” information on these Verbatims?
The 10 pak I bought gives me excellent burns on my 812s.
I lean toward what wesociety said, bad batch. Send em back…

Unfortunately, bad batches can be produced with any type of media!
Even the esteemed and highly reputable Taiyo Yuden DVDRs have seen some bad batches.

These results were obtained here:

NEC2500 drive using Herrie’s 1.08 beta 2 firmware

MCC003 burn @8X Made In Singapore

Pchilson, Unfortunately no, I do not have the “made in” labels/information unless that is somehow revealed on complete media code? By the way great burns!

Wesociety, yes I am returning them. The vendor has offered full refund. Thanks for your input regarding bad batches from the best.

jackass, Burns like yours were the reason I was looking forward to getting the media. So it goes!

Thank all for your responses

When you’re in the store look at the spindles, there is usually printed where it’s made on the spindle.

Made in Taiwan (most likely that this is made in Taiwan media): Made by CMC Magnetics and very varying quality.

Made in Singapore (So far only seen media in jewel cases that is made in Singapore): Made by Mitsubishi themself.

Made in India (So far not sen any 8x verbatims from India): Made by moser Baer India, usually has a sharp increase in errors at the end of the disc but is ok else.

OC-Freak,
Thanks for the advise, I bought these on-line (eBay-never again) and they arrived as 50 blank bulk pack media. No labels, no nothing. Nothing on spindle or bottom of pack. Actually, these were suppose to be Taiyo Yuden, but were switched/swapped at warehouse for these. When I checked media codes I thought, well I could live with this, but when I actually burned them…well that’s another story. I have never had such bad burns, even on Onidtech (UL-Tran) media (also a mistake).
Vendor has offered a full refund, so I am returning & I appreciate his integrity.
I have purchased TY & Ricoh, on-line and they burn well. I got those from reputable media houses, All Media, PCMicro, Rima, etc. I think I’ll stick to doing business with these companies.
Thanks for your input.