Problems With Lite-On IHBS112-29-2

vbimport

Hi guys,

have a problem here with my Lite-On IHBS112-29-2 Blu-Ray burner, it is listed in Windows Device manager as IHBS112 2.

I purchased the drive in 07/2010 as an OEM off Newegg. Drive used to work great, burned hundreds of Memorex BD-R and Optical Quantum BD-R DL - no problems.

In the last months, I started getting (expensive) coasters for the Optical Quantum BD-R DL using ImgBurn, error message always being “logical unit time out”. I wasn’t sure if it was just a bad batch of discs. On each of these errors I rebooted the PC and usually the next burn was fine. Single layer BD-R made no problem…

3 days ago, more BD-R DL coasters. I upgraded firmware from CL0K to newest PL05. Some burns successful, some coasters.

Since yesterday, the drive did not successfully burn a BD-R DL anymore. It burned one BD-R successfully.

Since today, the drive does not read or write any media. It still shows in Windows and tray opens.

Is there a software that can run an analysis on the drive ? Anything I can try to fix the drive ?

Thanks for your help in advance.

• M

It is getting old enough to make failure a real possibility. But if you haven’t already, you may want to start with the basics and uninstall the drive from Windows device manager, power down, replace the sata cable, and reinstall the power plug. If possible even use another power plug.

@deawitty: thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested and changed SATA cable and rebooted with the drive uninstalled… it has been running stable now for the last days with all burns successful… so it might have been the SATA cable (which I somehow doubt), or the Flash of fw PL05 was somehow not correctly applied when I rebooted…

will keep this issue updated…

Thanks again !

• M

[QUOTE=Iron_Mike;2658539]@deawitty: thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested and changed SATA cable and rebooted with the drive uninstalled… it has been running stable now for the last days with all burns successful… so it might have been the SATA cable (which I somehow doubt), or the Flash of fw PL05 was somehow not correctly applied when I rebooted…

will keep this issue updated…

Thanks again !

• M[/QUOTE]
    Great to hear!

What disc MID are those Optical Quantum BD-R DLs and Memorex? Neither of these companies have been known for caring about packaging good quality discs. I’m guessing the Memorex are Ritek. Please have a look at these reviews before you trust anything important to those discs. Ritek has shown a tendency to be willing to release rather low quality product from their factories. Use your drive’s quality scanning and transfer rate test abilities to keep an eye on degradation.

dean, thanks for the info and the advice…

Here are the disc id’s:

Optical Quantum 50Gb DL: CMCMAG-DI6-000
Memorex 25GB: RITEK-BR2-000

Btw, I burned over 500 of these Memorex and had maybe 5 coasters and use some of these burned discs a lot, and the data is still there… I never had a disc that I ever burned (CD / DVD / BD) in the last 15 years that lost data… some (maybe 5 in 15 years) became unreadable on some drives (most likely after bad disc treatment) but they either read in another drive or I was able to recover the data by using a special read out program… I will look and see if these Blu-Rays really lose data as some people claim, I somehow doubt it and assume bad treatment…

Have you any suggestions for good 25GB single layer Blu-Ray blanks ? Verbatims non LTH ? Is there a thread here that I should follow ?

What is your suggestion on a good burn verification program for 25gb and 50GB Blu-Ray burns ? I use ImgBurn to burn Blu-Rays and always verify the burn but would like to have a true scanning app…

Thanks !!!

• M

Sadly both low Q BD media…

[QUOTE=Iron_Mike;2659031]dean, thanks for the info and the advice…

Here are the disc id’s:

Optical Quantum 50Gb DL: CMCMAG-DI6-000
Memorex 25GB: RITEK-BR2-000

Btw, I burned over 500 of these Memorex and had maybe 5 coasters and use some of these burned discs a lot, and the data is still there… I never had a disc that I ever burned (CD / DVD / BD) in the last 15 years that lost data… some (maybe 5 in 15 years) became unreadable on some drives (most likely after bad disc treatment) but they either read in another drive or I was able to recover the data by using a special read out program… I will look and see if these Blu-Rays really lose data as some people claim, I somehow doubt it and assume bad treatment…

Have you any suggestions for good 25GB single layer Blu-Ray blanks ? Verbatims non LTH ? Is there a thread here that I should follow ?

What is your suggestion on a good burn verification program for 25gb and 50GB Blu-Ray burns ? I use ImgBurn to burn Blu-Rays and always verify the burn but would like to have a true scanning app…

Thanks !!!

• M[/QUOTE]500 burns on BR2’s? Could I talk you into helping us with our efforts to monitor BD-R longevity? You can absolutely have the rank of chief 4x Ritek monitor :).

I am just as skeptical as you about one site’s reviews. But these reports about Riteks failing at only 1 to 2 years is too common to be dismissed lightly. I don’t doubt that some will last longer. One of our members posted a recent archival study on BD-R. Verbatim may not be the best choice for long term either. There is also a running test thread where we are testing our older burns to keep an eye on them. I would welcome seeing a few scans of your discs in there. You can stop back there any time with updates and changes in your discs.

We use Opti Drive Control for scanning BD-Rs. The most useful tests are a 4x speed quality scan and a Transfer rate test. You can click the floppy disc icon to save a .png image of your scan. You will see examples of both in that thread. A smooth line on the TRT increasing with the read speed indicates the drive did not encounter serious errors on the disc. Drops in the read speed indicate the drive slowing to try to read through a high level of errors. This is an example of a dying disc. Its a strong indication that the disc is ripe for reburning before it fails. Stop by this thread for scanning tips or to ask questions.

On the bright side, I’m not seeing complaints about the CMCMAGDI6 discs. You can use the same tests on those to check them. And please feel free to post your quality scans in this thread anytime. We’re trying very hard to keep an eye on disc quality around here, can always use more help.