ISO FAQ

ISO FAQ v1.1.1 by Paus (The Holy Jampot)

Note: ISO's of CD's that are not your own, are illegal, and that is not where this FAQ is for !

ADVERTISEMENT

1. What is an ISO file?

An ISO file is the whole contents of a CD stored in 1 file. This kind of storage is created to make sure there will be no buffer-under runs while writing. When you copy a CD, the contents of a CD will first be stored on your hard disk. (the ISO or "image" file) When the reading process is done, the CD will be burned on a cdr(w), reading it from the image file on your hard disk. But this way of storage is the perfect way to trade cd's using the internet: Simply create an image file, compress it in different volumes and let others download it.

2. Where can I find it?

This part is the hardest. There are 2 ways of finding ISO's on the internet.

• The best way of getting iso's is by joining an fxp group. I've been a member of an fxp group for al long time, but quit recently due to a lack of free time. The hardest part is getting into such a group. At the beginning of fxp groups, alle groups were open for everyone, but then came the deleters. They scanned through all fxp boards and deleting all the iso's and warez. Most of the fxp groups are private now. The only way I know to get into an fxp group is to go and chat on IRC, and make friends. Offer your services as a portscanner or distro, and maybe they'll let you in. Once you're in, STAY ACTIVE on the board. Create pubs, find empty pubs and reply on the board. If you don't, you'll be kicked off the board.

• 2.1. How does an fxp group work?
  • ADVERTISEMENT

An fxp group works with a board. It's just a forum where alle the locations of the iso's, warez, movies, apps etc. are posted. They are stored on pubs, which are found by port-scanners and filled by anyone with access to the board, but mostly by the moderators of the board. The moderators have contacts with iso groups (groups who release the iso's on the internet, ie: fairlight, deviance) They fill the distro pubs with this new stuff and fill the normal pubs with it.

• 2.2. Wow, I'm confused! Pub?? Port scanner?? Distro?? What the f*ck are you talking about??
  • Ok, if you didn't understand what 2.1 was about, I can understand. This is the long version of 2.1
    A pub is a pub(lic) ftp site. It are servers where people can read/write and sometimes delete files. Don't ask me why these servers exist, they just do. They are found by pub scanners. Pub scanners have a little prog with which they can scan ip's for an ftp site. They insert a range (ie 24.35.0.1 untill 24.36.0.1) and the prog tries to logon to all the ip's. Once it finds an ftp site, it checks whether it's writable. If it is, the ip of the site is inserted in a log file.
    Once the pubs are found, it's filled by fillers. These are people who already have iso's or warez and upload it on the ftp site, so other people can download it. Mostly moderators of the fxp group are the fillers. They have a distro. A distro is a member of the fxp group with a very fast connection (T1+) and a lot of free diskspace. He hosts a ftp site, and using fxp (direct connection between 2 ftp sites) the filler can give the distro-pub the command to upload data onto the pub. Using this fxp and distro technique

ADVERTISEMENT

• There are several sites on the internet that have a list of ftp sites that contain mainly warez and sometimes a few ISO's. The problem is finding such a site. I myself begun with this method, but after a few weeks I discovered the fxp-groups which worked much better. In the previous version of the faq, I requested you sent me the url of the warez-site. But due to the fast removal and changing of the list I have cancelled it.
  • 3. Why is it called an ISO file when the files I have extracted are .bin and .cue?

Well, the original extension of image files used to be .ISO. But when burning got popular, a lot more burning programs were created. Most of them made their own kind of image files with different extensions. The .bin and .cue file are cdrwin files.

4. What are the .bin and the .cue file?

The .bin file contains all the useful data on the CD. The .cue file contains only a piece of the table of contents. When you open the .cue file with e.g. notepad, you see it shows cdrwin exactly where new tracks start and end. It also shows where cdrwin should burn pre- or post gaps.

5. How can I burn the ISO?

The way to burn the image is easy. You need winrar to extract the image from the archive. While extracting, make sure you select "process all volumes from current" so the .cue file will also be extracted. After extracting, start cdrwin. If you don't have cdrwin you can download it from: http://www.goldenhawk.com . If you get an error concerning the aspi drivers, you'll have to install the aspi drivers which are also available at the goldenhawk homepage

Within cdrwin, select burn CD. A new menu comes up. Now select load cue sheet, and select the .cue file. Once opened, insert a blank CD with sufficient capacity in your burner. Now select start burning and after waiting a while you'll have yourself a full CD app/game!

6. What about copy protections?

Well, I have never downloaded an ISO whereof the copy protection hadn't been cracked yet. If you find one, just try to determine the copy protection with dominator's copy protection detector. Once you know what protection is used, you can download a crack by searching for it at http://www.astalavista.box.sk or http://www.crackstore.com , or try to avoid the protection yourself. I'd appreciate it if you could mail me the game name and ISO group that released the game if you found an ISO that hasn't been cracked yet, at the_holy_jampot@hotmail.com.

7. Can I manually change the .cue file?

I can be quiet short on this one: yes. It's possible to manually change .cue files (although I can't see why you would want to change it if it works) Editing or creating .cue files is explained in the cdrwin help file, so if you want to know how, look there.

8.When I try to burn it says it can't find the .bin file, but it's in the same directory as the .cue file. How can I prevent this?

Open the .cue file and remove the path of the .bin file. Don't delete the .bin name. That should resolve the error. If it still doesn't work send me the .cue file and I'll take a look at it.

9. When I want to download an game/app image the archive starts with .001. Where are .RAR and .000 (or .r00)?

Some ISO groups, use extensions beginning with .001. So stop looking for the .000 (or .r00)and .RAR file and just open the .001 and extract the image file.

10. When I open the RAR file, it only shows a .bin file and no .cue file, but after extracting the .cue is also there. How come I can't see it in the .RAR file?

This is normal, if you open the last volume of the archive you'll see the .cue file. But you can just start extracting from the first volume.

11. When I try to burn the image, it gives an error: "writer has rejected the cue sheet". What's wrong?

Most ISO's are created with RAW-read/write method. Not all burners support this way of burning. If you get this error, yours doesn't either. There's nothing you can do about this, besides buying another burner. I recommend Plextor, Lite-On and A-Open burners. If you want great service besides a great burner and won't mind paying $100 for the service alone, buy a Plextor. If you just want a great burner at a low price, but Lite-On or A-Open. Plextor, Lite-On and A-Open all support RAW writing and are all supported by clonecd.

12.Is it possible to play the games without burning them on CD-Rom ?

Yes it is possible, but you'll need a no crack-crack to play. Winimage can extract files from an image file, you can get it at http://www.winimage.com/winimage.htm, But I recommend burning the image on a cd.

This ISO FAQ is exclusively created for CD Freaks and may not be used on other sites. It is written by a very experienced ISO trader.

No posts to display