Problems with LG external burner..help please!

Okay, I’m not INCREDIBLY computer saavy but I need some help here.

I received an External LG DVD Burner (the exact name is: External USB 2.0 and IEEE 1394 16x Super Multi DVD/CD Rewriter GSA 5163D) a few months ago and I got some Memorex 16x 4.7gig dvds today but they don’t work on the burner. They’ll burn to 99% and then an error will occur.

I know it must be the DVDs themselves because I tried burning two other kinds of DVDS (maxell and then Memorex dual layer 2.4x dvds) and they both worked just fine. I’ve read that I need some sort of upgrade but I don’t want to get the wrong one and I’m not entirely sure what I need. If someone could help me I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Update the burning software.

Memorex 16x are cheap, also their DL media which is not only cheap but also crap.
Use Verbatim DLs.

You’re probably referring to a statement on the packaing of Memorex 16x discs which says something like “your drive requires an update in order to burn these discs”. It implies means you need a firmware update for older drives in order to burn at 16x.

However, it is very vague because it is really meant as a generic disclaimer to cover their asses. Memorex is really a company that just rebrands discs they get other random companies to make for them. Who makes a certain type of their discs varies from time to time. They don’t manufacture their own discs. Since the discs of a certain speed and type may be different from time to time, you cannot really tell what you are getting when you buy Memorex discs.

In your case, doing a firmware update will probably not fix your problems. The latest firmware version for your drive is A105. From your description, the quality of the discs at the end part of the discs is poor. That is why you have problems with the burn at 99%. I don’t think there is very much you can except to not fill the discs full.

Oh and don’t try Memorex 16x DVD-R discs. You will probably find that they burn at only 4x on your writer no matter what you do.

That’s exactly what I have, the DVD-R’s.

Oh dear. Well that means you’re already burning at 4x max with those and the discs still screw up at 99%. The media is almost definitely defective. Sorry, I don’t think there is anything that can be done.