Problems with inkjet-printable DVDs

Owner of a 411S (FS0F firmware) here.

I love my burner, backing up DVDs and tossing the originals into storage is the shiznit.

When I found out that Epson was coming out with a new printer that prints on inkjet top discs I grabbed one ASAP.

I also picked up a 50 pack of G04 printable top media. Regular G04 has always worked fairly well for me, and I have only had problems burning generic media.

Weeeelll, I am now getting kprobe scans with 1000+ PI Max and 300 average. About 70% of my discs won’t play on anything. What’s going on? I even ordered some sample discs from another website in case I got a bad batch, same problem occured.

When I burn these printable discs, my computer sounds like it’s in labor. HDD is grinding away, and the read and write buffers in Nero keep jumping up and down. (Usually they stay pretty constantly in the 98% range with every other media). I tried other burning programs including RecordNow and burnatonce with the same results. I’ve also tried almost every available firmware for my drive.

I’ve also tried printable Taiyo Yuden discs with PI average being about 90-120. They play on pretty much anything still, but my non-printable TYs were getting 10-20 PI avg. (I really don’t want to pay out the ass for discs anyways)

What’s going on? I love being able to print on the discs, but not if I have to make 10 coasters for every one that actually works.

hmm that’s interesting, didn’t see this until after my post on a similar topic, though i didn’t know it at the time.
(see “blankmedia.ca, ritek g04, lg 4040b”)

my drives don’t make any more noise than usual, and i don’t have any unprintable g04 media to compare it to, but the kprobe results weren’t very good at all… read: my shitty an32 media apparently performs better than these printable g04s.
and for whatever reason, i’m suddenly getting a lot of coasters out of these g04s, though the first 10-20 were just fine.

anyone else notice anything screwy with printable media?

The only -Rs that my laptops internal toshiba rom drive doesn’t recognize are some taiyo yudens I burned with fs02 in the early days, and some printables burned with fs0f. Got ticked off, haven’t used printables since. But since even the best media (TY) can be unreadable with bad firmware, maybe its just a lite on thing that needs a bit more research.
Verdict: stay the hell away from printables for now.

Buffer fluctuations are a separate issue from media, caused by a system problem.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Buffer fluctuations are a separate issue from media, caused by a system problem.

How can I fix my “system problem”?

Do I need more RAM or something? I have 256 MB right now, I was thinking of grabbing some more anyways. This could give me a reason to.

Keep in mind that I have no buffer fluctuations with other DVD/CD media, just the printable kind. (My 'puter always runs slow as hell when I’m done burning, but that’s Windoze for ya)

This issue is very important to me. I really really like being able to print on my burned media since labels are teh suck. I ordered some printable Ritek CD-R media, so I’m waiting to see if my problem still applies.

Keep in mind that I have no buffer fluctuations with other DVD/CD media, just the printable kind. (My 'puter always runs slow as hell when I’m done burning, but that’s Windoze for ya)

What media you use has no impact on buffer issues. Buffer problems occur in the system, before the data is delivered to the burner. Hard drive or DMA issues are most often the cause.

…I bought Ridata G04 printables and they aren’t the greatest. I personally think Ritek has gone to crap lately. The best printables I’ve used are the Maxell (MXLRG02 - Japan). According to Kprobe and my standalones, they burn as well, maybe better than, the yellow top MXL’s. I won’t use anything else.

What you say about the TY printables surprises me though.

What you say about the TY printables surprises me though.

Well, they’re not exactly coasters, but I’d like to see them scanned in a different drive just for curiosity. We also don’t know what scan speed or settings were used.

Would someone be able to do scans of say, the TDK -R 4x inkjet-writables and non-inkjet-writables and post them here for definitive comparison? i would myself if i knew how and if my comp was working :a. Cause there is a significant (but shrinking) money saving in getting the inkjet writables on a spindle as compared to the normal cased ones.

terminalvelocd…im sure you have both hanging around! :smiley:

Originally posted by rdgrimes
What media you use has no impact on buffer issues. Buffer problems occur in the system, before the data is delivered to the burner. Hard drive or DMA issues are most often the cause.

Perhaps…

However as I said previously, the buffer problems ONLY occur with printable discs, and usually towards the end of the burning session. I have burned numerous types of media, and this only happens with the printables.

Should I try to return this drive?

Well, I got the printable Ritek CD-Rs and they work beautifully. Next step is to try some Ritek +R inkjet media from newegg and see how that goes.

I expect that they will burn fine as well, and if they do I will be returning my 411S ASAP. :frowning:

I happened to have 2 saved scans. Generally I rip and test with my Liteon and burn with my Pioneer. These are the same rip, burned with my Liteon 451S (GSB7) at 4x, on both printable and branded Maxell media.

Burned on a 451S (GSB7)
4.3gb

Branded yellow tops:

White inkjet printables:

This media is the balls…very consistent.

Where can I order some of these Maxells? You know of a place that sells sample discs?

I bought a couple single jewel case printables to test from PCConnection.com. I can’t remember the part number, but they aren’t real cheap…especially with shipping. The 50 spindles are the same exact media (both ID and quality). I get mine from shopperwiz.com, part number 635129. Page computer (pagecomputers.com) also has them at a similar price.

You can find the yellow tops at Walmart. Look for the light blue 10 packs “made in Japan”. If those work well, the printables test exactly the same (on both my Liteon and Pioneer). They are about 17 bucks.

You can find the yellow tops at Walmart. Look for the light blue 10 packs “made in Japan”.

Also at Walgreens corner drug stores.