Problems with external Firewire caddy + HDD

Hi!

I wonder if anyone out there can help me with a ‘little’ problem I’m experiencing.

I have a Sharp PC-GP2520 Notebook (P4 2.0GHz, 512Mb RAM - XP Pro SP2) and have recently purchased a Safecom external 5.25" Firewire caddy for an external DVD Burner (NEC ND-4550 - nice!) and a Safecom Firewire/USB2.0 caddy for an external HDD.

The DVD drive works perfectly but the external HDD fails. I’ve tried the HDD in the 5.25" caddy and there are no problems.

The HDD will save information fine, but when the PC tries to read from it it fails and I get a Delayed File Write error message. Device manager says that the device reported problems and has disabled it, code 43.

The 3.5" caddy chipset is Prolific 3507 and I have just flashed the latest firmware to it too to see if that made any difference, but no :frowning:

Any idea’s??

Cheers!!

Paul D

Have you tried updating your USB/Firewire card drivers? Or the motherboard ones if you’re using onboard ports?

Hi!

I don’t think my PC needs specific Firewire drivers to be honest, Windows XP has it’s own and I’ve been unable to find any others anywhere.

As I say, the HDD works fine in my Firewire only caddy, but it doesn’t seem to like the Firewire/USB2.0 one :frowning:

Does anyone have any idea’s what this is all about… (shows in Device manager after selecting the combo device after it’s failed…)

Device Status

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

Any help will be very much appreciated!!

Paul D

Have just found this on Microsoft Support…

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;885464

Unfortunately you can’t just download from the site, gotta contact PC vendor to sort it :frowning:

Paul D

Did you connect your HDD with the firewire or the usb interface?

Hi!!

Sorry, forgot to mention that on my posts! Both devices are connected via Firewire as I don’t have USB2.0 on my Laptop.

Just downloaded this Microsoft patch (KB9044112) and it seems to work OK now…

Paul D

Hi again!

Unfortunately the caddy still doesn’t work :frowning: Been doing quite a bit of research on the subject and have found that anything with the Prolific PL-3507 chipset is going to encounter difficulties in Windows.

I’ve tried limiting the writing packet size to 128k using max128k which seemed to cure any Write Failures while writing to the HDD…(http://member.newsguy.com/~siccos/Max128k.htm)

…but it still fails while reading from the drive :frowning:

There is another Microsoft patch available (885464) but that is not readily available via Microsoft and you have to contact your Windows vendor to obtain it. I got my Laptop from PC World over two years ago so the warranty has ran out and I’m not paying for a patch that apparently doesn’t cure the problem :frowning:

Going to start a new thread and place links to the pages I’ve found in case itt can help others with the same problems…

Cheers guys!

Paul D

You know, the external caddy could just be faulty…

Possibly - works fine by USB1.1 and there’s loads of info on the net about others who’ve had the same problems as me…