Problems with EMTEC DVD-R (TYG02)

vbimport

Hello there! I’m new here and I came with a big problem already!!! :Z

I have a LG GSA-4163B DVD recorder and I use it with Nero 6 (6.6.0.15) installed on my Windows XP SP3.

So, the problem is that I can’t copy an entire DVD or burn an ISO image in EMTEC DVD-R 4.7 GB medias! Nero always gives me an error message at begining, and nothing is burned. I even tried other programs, like Clone DVD, DVD Decrypter, but nothing worked. Also, yesterday I updated the LG firmware to A105, but didn’t make any result.

I think that EMTEC media doesn’t like my burner, because I tried with another one (LG one) and worked perfect!

Am I right? Is there a solution for this case?

Thanks a lot!! :o

[]'s

First off
Welcome to the forum muttley_br :smiley:

second thing is what error are you receving it would help to know :confused:

Your burner probably doesn’t have the correct burn strategies for that media
try some better media in it like Verbatim and see if it burns well. If it still
gives you the same error with better media then your burner might just be
on its way to burner Heaven or the garbage can which ever is closer. :bigsmile:

LG GSA-4163B has a burning strategy for TYG02 and it’s a great burner for this medium.
Your problem is Emtec medium, it’s probably crap medium with fake MID code (made in China, Macau or Hong Kong) - nothing unusual for Emtec. Could you post a stamper code or serial numbers?

Try with some better media like Verbatim or [I]genuine [/I]Taiyo Yuden.
The LG usually is a great burner.

Hello! Thanks for all replies! :slight_smile:

Well, I’m getting this error in Nero:

[I]Burning error
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B\H0 T0

Burning little lead-out
Fail in burning process at 4x (5.540 KB/s)
[/I]
In DVD Decrypter:

[I]I/O Error!

Device: [0:0:0] HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B A105 (E:) (ATA)

ScsiStatus: 0x02
Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 24 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 00
Interpretation: Write (10) - Sectors: 0 - 31

Sense Area: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 10 32 4D 00 0C 0C 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Interpretation: Write Error[/I]

I’ve got a case with 25 of this EMTEC media, there’s no serial print in them, only a “CNPJ” from the developer here in Brazil and the date “January 2008”. Maybe they are not a fake media… :Z

I made a test with a Verbatim LightScribe media and works perfectly, both in Nero and DVD Decrypt.

Any other tip? :confused:

Thanks!

Hi muttley_br,
your Emtecs are definitely media with fake TY MID code, they are made by Videolar - Brazilian subsidiary of Infosmart…
Videolar has a licency to sold its products under the Emtec brand.
You should use a different kind of media, Verbatims, Maxells or Panasonics would be a good choice, if you can get them. :wink:

[QUOTE=pepst;2054828]Hi muttley_br,
your Emtecs are definitely media with fake TY MID code, they are made by Videolar - Brazilian subsidiary of Infosmart…
Videolar has a licency to sold its products under the Emtec brand.
You should use a different kind of media, Verbatims, Maxells or Panasonics would be a good choice, if you can get them. ;)[/QUOTE]

Nice info pepst, and I second your advice :wink:

Welcome to the forum, Muttley :)…the 4163B is a very fine burner. :slight_smile:

Hello, pepst! Thanks about the information!!

I checked that “cnpj” code write on media and it’s really from Videolar. So they really make fake TY02 medias?? :eek:

Do you know if there is any burner that works fine with these medias? I’m thinking to sell them, but I have to be sure them will work! :doh:

Thanks again!

[]'s

[QUOTE=muttley_br;2055362]Hello, pepst! Thanks about the information!!

I checked that “cnpj” code write on media and it’s really from Videolar. So they really make fake TY02 medias?? :eek:

Do you know if there is any burner that works fine with these medias? I’m thinking to sell them, but I have to be sure them will work! :doh:

Thanks again!

[]'s[/QUOTE]

Hi muttley, you could try change the original TYG02 writing strategy for OptodiscR008 or CMC MAG AE1 with MCSE utility.
Here is the patched firmware with Optodisc strategy swap, use it at your own risk and don’t expect too much :stuck_out_tongue:
New Pioneers and Optiarcs (both are based on NEC chipset) are very good burner for most of crap media, they would burn your Emtecs with acceptable quality.
Videolar - yes, Infosmart moved more than half of their manufacturing equipment to Brazil, they are using Must Technology’s stampers and dye and fake MID codes (they have also their own VIDEOLAR MIDs, but media with this MID code were probably never sold).

[QUOTE=pepst;2055414]Videolar - yes, Infosmart moved more than half of their manufacturing equipment to Brazil, they are using Must Technology’s stampers and dye and fake MID codes (they have also their own VIDEOLAR MIDs, but media with this MID code were probably never sold).[/QUOTE]

:doh::doh::doh:
Actually Videolar is an independent company, Infosmart’s subsidiary is called Discobras.
Both companies make fake TY and MCC media though. Videolar is selling most of them under the Emtec brand, Discobras is selling its media under some local brands.

Actually Videolar is an independent company, Infosmart’s subsidiary is called Discobras.[/QUOTE]

Disco Bras? That’s gotta be Name of the Year :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2060591]Disco Bras? That’s gotta be Name of the Year :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

:slight_smile: In danish bras = rubbish :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=CJ2;2060617]:slight_smile: In danish bras = rubbish :)[/QUOTE]

That’s even better then :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=CJ2;2060617]:slight_smile: In danish bras = rubbish :)[/QUOTE]
They choosed a very suitable name :bigsmile:. At least they are honest :smiley:
But “Twist your data” is even better.:stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=pepst;2055414]
Videolar - yes, Infosmart moved more than half of their manufacturing equipment to Brazil, they are using Must Technology’s stampers and dye and fake MID codes (they have also their own VIDEOLAR MIDs, but media with this MID code were probably never sold).[/QUOTE]

Well at least a small ammount of media with videolar MID’s did reach the market.
Also some of the drive manufacturers got samples for it.
(Still looking for samples myself. :bigsmile:)

And you allready corrected yourself.
One question. Must technology makes the stamper you say or was this screwed up incombination with Discobras. Then does Must Technology produce (officially) a large ammount of fake TY stampers ?

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2061075]Well at least a small ammount of media with videolar MID’s did reach the market.
Also some of the drive manufacturers got samples for it.
(Still looking for samples myself. :bigsmile:)[/QUOTE]

Really? I thought that they were in the same category as media with Digital Valley or VDSPMSAB04 MID - manufactured in small amounts only for tests and for getting FW support. Who made stampers for Videolar media? Plasmon?

And you allready corrected yourself.
One question. Must technology makes the stamper you say or was this screwed up incombination with Discobras. Then does Must Technology produce (officially) a large ammount of fake TY stampers ?

Must Technology is supplier of dye & stampers for Infosmart, Discobras, Anwell and most of its customers.
Yes, they officially produce stampers with fake MIDs. Must itself make media with MUST00x or MCCxxx MIDs (they have 6 or 7 DVDR lines and in the past they produced media also for LG), for their customers they make stampers also with TY or other requested MID codes. AFAIK.

no idea. But all I do know that some of the media was actually sold as well as that more as just manufacturers got them.

Must Technology is supplier of dye & stampers for Infosmart, Discobras, Anwell and most of its customers.
Yes, they officially produce stampers with fake MIDs. Must itself make media with MUST00x or MCCxxx MIDs (they have 6 or 7 DVDR lines and in the past they produced media also for LG), for their customers they make stampers also with TY or other requested MID codes. AFAIK.

You mean the test stampers for anwell ? Because anwell is purely a technology supplier of equipement. Have to look up, but I think AML Advanced Media Ltd. is owned by the same folks and is actually a manufacturer.

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2061097]You mean the test stampers for anwell ? Because anwell is purely a technology supplier of equipement. Have to look up, but I think AML Advanced Media Ltd. is owned by the same folks and is actually a manufacturer.[/QUOTE]
Anwell now owns 3 or so DVDR manufacturers (Jilin Qingda, UmeDisc, etc) and for them and their other customers is supplying the whole solution (Anwell’s machinery, stampers & dye from Must Tech with requested MID)

BTW also Discobras is using Anwell’s DVDR lines

overlooked that one. My info isn’t what it used to be these days thanks to the last half year of university. So thanks for pointing that one out.

BTW also Discobras is using Anwell’s DVDR lines

Must Tech dye. But what is the exact formulation of that dye and who supplies it. It can mean 2 things.
Infosmart changed formulations, or they have been creative with earlier information.

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2061251]Must Tech dye. But what is the exact formulation of that dye and who supplies it. It can mean 2 things.
Infosmart changed formulations, or they have been creative with earlier information.[/QUOTE]

I do not know the exact name of those dyes. Must Tech makes them by itself. This company is now one of the biggest dye suppliers, along with Ciba.
What kind of dye did Infosmart use in the past? Since they are using Anwell technology from beginning I would guess that they used Organica dye (Organica was dye supplier for Anwell in 1-8x days, Plasmon supplied AN30-35 MIDed stampers, now are both dye and stampers supplied by Must). Am I wrong? :confused: