Problems with DVD+RW discs - AD-7200S

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7200S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]In the summer I bought a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop PC. Up until now, I have only been burning CDs which work OK, but now I’m attempting to burn to DVD+RW discs.

The software package I’m using to burn is ImgBurn and the Disc ID of the DVD+RW discs is ‘OPTODISC-OP4-01’.

When I put the disc in the drive for the first time in a login session it recognises the DVD and using ImgBurn I’m able to burn with no problems. I use the verify feature in ImgBurn and after the burn, when the tray ejects and then closes, ImgBurn stalls and Vista doesn’t recognise that the DVD is in the drive. When I use Explorer to view the burned files I can’t see any and sometimes Explorer freezes or I get a “There is no disc in the drive message”, but there is.

I looked into upgrading the firmware and on the on the official Optiarc website there is a 1.09 firmware available, released 10/12/2008. One of the fixes in the 1.06 firmware was “Bug fix for DVD+RW disc recognition issue.” This looks like it would fix my issue, but these drivers are not compatible with the firmware provided by Dell.

So I went to the Dell website and downloaded the latest firmware offering which was released 21/08/08. It flashed successfully but the problem still exists.

It could be the media and I’m considering buying some Verbatim DVD+R discs to see if the problem exists only with +RW or poor media.

What do you recommend? Do I wait it out until Dell release new firmware? Do you think Dell ever will release new firmware? Are there any safe ‘third-party’ firmware for this drive? Should I use only DVD+R discs if they work?

Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=dwm;2178564]What do you recommend? Do I wait it out until Dell release new firmware? Do you think Dell ever will release new firmware? Are there any safe ‘third-party’ firmware for this drive? Should I use only DVD+R discs if they work?[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure what you mean by “safe third-party firmware”. I’m not sure what that has to do with this issue. You have only two logical choices, wait for the Dell firmware to be updated so that it has the same fixes as the official Optiarc firmware, or go ahead and forget about Dell, and flash your drive with official Optiarc firmware. It really depends on how badly you need to use DVD+RW media. If it’s really important, then go ahead and flash. If it’s not, then wait. Only you can answer that question.